Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2012 General Discussion/Obs Part 2

Chicago Storm

Gunna be a cold night for a Floridian.

The coldest temperature in the history of Florida was -2 °F just outside of Tallahassee back in 1899. That's well north of my homeland of South Florida though, where the coldest temperature in Miami history was 27 °F in 1917. It probably got down into the mid-upper teens where I grew up 20 miles inland.

So yup, it's already colder tonight than it has ever been in recorded history where I grew up. 13 °F as of 8 pm.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The coldest temperature in the history of Florida was -2 °F just outside of Tallahassee back in 1899. That's well north of my homeland of South Florida though, where the coldest temperature in Miami history was 27 °F in 1917. It probably got down into the mid-upper teens where I grew up 20 miles inland.

So yup, it's already colder tonight than it has ever been in recorded history where I grew up. 13 °F as of 8 pm.

Nice pretty damn cold.

I wonder if Miami can even get that cold anymore? You would think with all the concrete down there, the heat island effect would really absorb some heat on those cold clear Florida days...who knows... It was all swamp and scrub back in 1917.

Looks like single digits around here (on WU)... Sparta showing 1F right now ...

I wonder if Miami can even get that cold anymore? You would think with all the concrete down there, the heat island effect would really absorb some heat on those cold clear Florida days...who knows... It was all swamp and scrub back in 1917.

Looks like single digits around here (on WU)... Sparta showing 1F right now ...

The coastal urban heat island has a tremendous effect from Homestead to Palm Beach, the coldest of nights generally stay 30 °F or above, and I can't stress how much it takes to get a freeze in the actual metropolitan areas. I'm guessing upper 20s may not happen again for a long time in Miami.

On the other side of the coin, the inland areas have gotten so much drier (they drained the swamps) that nights get colder out in the far suburbs than they did historically.

Down to 12 °F even with strong enough winds to bust up any sort of tight radiational cooling layer.

So this was my day in weather...woke up to pouring rain, very mild temps ended up soaring even higher, to 53F by early afternoon, even most small snowpiles were completely destroyed, now in the evening temps are in the 20s and dropping, wind chills in the low teens, and a trace of snow is dusted on rooftops and such. We went from 52F at 2pm to flurries and 35F at 5 Exciting and changeable for sure, but I wouldve taken sub-freezing, dry, boring weather over today in mid-January lol.

So this was my day in weather...woke up to pouring rain, very mild temps ended up soaring even higher, to 53F by early afternoon, even most small snowpiles were completely destroyed, now in the evening temps are in the 20s and dropping, wind chills in the low teens, and a trace of snow is dusted on rooftops and such. We went from 52F at 2pm to flurries and 35F at 5 Exciting and changeable for sure, but I wouldve taken sub-freezing, dry, boring weather over today in mid-January lol.

Wow, you guys out east had some crazy swings today.

Already down to 11 here. Probably heading to somewhere in the 0 to 5 above range. Coldest so far this season is 3 above.

NWS point has us only hitting 8 above for a high on Thursday.

Final snow total the best I could tell was 0.7". Was a challenge measuring with the snow being blown all around again. There's still about an inch of frozen crust left from the previous snow that never completely melted, so averaging about 1-2" of snow cover.

Wow, you guys out east had some crazy swings today.

Already down to 11 here. Probably heading to somewhere in the 0 to 5 above range. Coldest so far this season is 3 above.

NWS point has us only hitting 8 above for a high on Thursday.

Final snow total the best I could tell was 0.7". Was a challenge measuring with the snow being blown all around again. There's still about an inch of frozen crust left from the previous snow that never completely melted, so averaging about 1-2" of snow cover.

It was about as exciting a weather day as you can get for a non-snowstorm in mid-January, but Id rather be in your shoes attm, snowcover trumps the rest for me lol. If the models are right though, a winter wonderland isnt too far off though....

It was about as exciting a weather day as you can get for a non-snowstorm in mid-January, but Id rather be in your shoes attm, snowcover trumps the rest for me lol. If the models are right though, a winter wonderland isnt too far off though....

Yeah you guys should do pretty good with the Friday clipper from the looks of things.

Here's a quick shot I took with the cell driving home from work earlier. Not much new snow on the ground, but it was still blowing around pretty good. This is just west of Erie.

20120117162956.jpg

Drizzle->Rain->Thunderstorm->Dence Fog->Rain->Mini Squall line->Windy->Wet Snow->Snow->Blowing Snow = BI POLAR weather

very nice esp for a cell shot!

Thanks mang!

Lol @ the RUC showing a pocket of -10 readings over the nose of Iowa into northwest Illinois later tonight. Whenever there's fresh snow cover on the ground it seems to go crazy with cold temps over those areas. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few subzero readings there, but not that cold.

-1 °F this morning in Madison, got down to -5 °F in Middleton, which is basically a western suburb of Madison.

The Wisconsin River Valley did not disappoint with -11 °F at Lone Rock. I've been there and it's completely rural and perfectly shaped for the pooling of cold air.

Tomorrow looks like the real cold day with a high of 6 °F and low of -3 °F.

While my snow cover is basically history after three whole days, there are some nice reports I saw from yesterday's storm. Makes me miss for my years up north again:

0100 AM HEAVY SNOW HOUGHTON LAKE 44.30N 84.76W

01/18/2012 M9.7 INCH ROSCOMMON MI TRAINED SPOTTER

24 HR TOTAL THRU 1 AM. SNOW DEPTH 17 IN.

0600 AM HEAVY SNOW KALKASKA 44.73N 85.18W

01/18/2012 M11.5 INCH KALKASKA MI BROADCAST MEDIA

Hard time climbing today...sitting at 19F under full sun and a stiff south wind...

Looks like -2F tonite and a hi of 5F tomorrow....that is going to be nasty!

Looks like a snowy finish to Jan.

We've actually rebounded pretty nicely back to 27 after starting at 2. Some melting on paved areas. Tomorrow looking brutal here as well, with temps slowly sinking through the singles.

IND has 54 here next Sunday, which is 20 degrees above normal. You know it's going to be warm when they go that far above average 6 days out.

Just wanted to bump this. They now have 42º for Sunday. Not too many times you see them take a chance in the extended...and be too high. :lol:

12z MEX has 35º FWIW.

Archived