joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2012 General Discussion/Obs Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wunderground gets wonky, and will miss the "top of the hour" METARS sometimes.

59º indeed a tie of the record at LAF (1996). But there is a lot of missing data for the airport...so it's a take it FWIW. Also a daily precipitation record set with the 1.45"...shattering the old one of 0.56" in 1988. Again though, lots of missing data.

WL COOP records are consistent since 1901, outside five years in the late 40's/early 50's. Record high for today is 62º in 1990 and precip record is...0.98" in 2012. Heh, didn't realize they update it so fast on the NOWdata page.

Interesting.... thanks for the info. So near record warmth and record precip (not that I care about daily precip records, especially ones broken by convection).

Maybe for my backyard.. :yikes:

Further north looks like winter will be raging.. :lol:

lol, probably not with respect to YBY. February will offer some opportunities. Maybe.

Gradient pattern FTW(L)

As we thought. But winter thrives for areas north. At least there's something going on in the region. :)

OT but it's worth sharing...i know the mount ranier totals are often wild but this is one of the more ridiculous 24 hour totals i've ever seen

Wednesday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 23. Windy, with a southwest wind around 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 34 to 40 inches possible.

Wednesday Night: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 21. Windy, with a west southwest wind between 30 and 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 31 to 37 inches possible.

Thick fog now. If the ground was white I could pretend it was +SN.

No kidding. It's like a pea soup fog out there. By the way, a little off topic, but what do you think of the snow chances for Saturday? Some models are hinting we might get something. My apologies if this is mentioned in another thread and I just didn't see it.

Front blasted through here in a fairly impressive fashion. Left my house it was 230pm and 55 according to the car. By the time I got to work at 330pm it was 37 has dropped since. Also nice frontal rain band mixed in on the drive in.

Its been snowing the last hour. Not really sticking buts its been a really strange weather day around here

No kidding. It's like a pea soup fog out there. By the way, a little off topic, but what do you think of the snow chances for Saturday? Some models are hinting we might get something. My apologies if this is mentioned in another thread and I just didn't see it.

I'm in wait and see mode. Need to get the EURO on board before I get too excited. If the 18z GFS verified it would possibly be in excess of 10cm, especially near Lk Ontario. But the way this winter's gone, it's best to stay skeptical.

When I lived in Ann Arbor for 4 years, I could never believe the totals that were reported "unofficially" at the coop or whatever station they were using. Yes, it's definitely a tad snowier spot in southeast Michigan but seems the totals were always inflated.

Maybe I'm a more conservative snow measurer, but there were often times that totals would come in double than what I could ever find. It would baffle me that Ann Arbor would report a 6" total, yet I measured 3" and numerous times I'd measure maybe an inch or an inch and a half while the "unofficial" total was 2 to 3 inches.

I think in places in the Midwest it's quite common for two very close places to end up with wildly different seasonal totals just on that small margin of error. Especially in the lakes where you can easily have 30+ days of measurable snow, a site that reports just 0.6" more for each event, while not visibly noticeable or appear out of whack on a PNS now has a whopping 18" more for a seasonal total.

I remember that. And if I recall some of those were the years when DTW was lowballing (maybe 2003-04-2004-05?) so it made for a ridiculous contrast. You'd have to ask hm if it sounds legit, but it doesnt seem that they inflate as much now. I dont live in AA obviously so I cant say, but as I said it seems every single snowfall Ann Arbor is getting the heaviest radar echos sit over them, luck out almost every time.

I think Youngstown, OH would get the inflation award and Toronto Pearson the lowballing award, per what I read on the board.

I remember that. And if I recall some of those were the years when DTW was lowballing (maybe 2003-04-2004-05?) so it made for a ridiculous contrast. You'd have to ask hm if it sounds legit, but it doesnt seem that they inflate as much now. I dont live in AA obviously so I cant say, but as I said it seems every single snowfall Ann Arbor is getting the heaviest radar echos sit over them, luck out almost every time.

I think Youngstown, OH would get the inflation award and Toronto Pearson the lowballing award, per what I read on the board.

Ridic (<I'll write that once, and never again) bad, but I've noticed since GHD 2011 onward they've seemed better. Too small a sample size to judge, but hopefully a paradigm shift.

OT but it's worth sharing...i know the mount ranier totals are often wild but this is one of the more ridiculous 24 hour totals i've ever seen

Wednesday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 23. Windy, with a southwest wind around 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 34 to 40 inches possible.

Wednesday Night: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 21. Windy, with a west southwest wind between 30 and 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 31 to 37 inches possible.

Christ. Gotta love those 3+in/hr rates for 24 hours straight

Archived