• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January 2012 General Discussion/Obs Part 2

Chicago Storm

All them planes landing is blowing all the snow away from the airport before it gets a chance to hit the ground

12" is definitely better than 10"...last I remember you were only at like 4"...where did all this new snow come from lol

Actually, today marks the 7th straight day of accumulating snow here:

0.2", 0.1", 1.5", 0.8", 0.1", 1.7" (so far).

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temps just surged to 50 here as the warm front crawls northward through the night. This is the 12th day so far in December and January that it has hit 50, tomorrow will be number 13. Conversely BKL has only had 7 sub freezing high temp days.

In fact, the forecasted high tomorrow was just 49. And we've already just hit that. Wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow turns out to be the warmest day this winter.

CLE-LAKEFRONT CLOUDY 50 26 39 S25G39 29.94F

Don't forget that the new climate normals went into effect this year. So comparing departures isn't apples to apples anymore. For example last year "normal" temps at TOL for January were 23.9, this year it's 25.5, so 1.6 degrees warmer. At CLE they went up from 25.7 to 28.1 ... a whopping 2.4 degrees. So the departures this winter look less extreme this year, but it's mostly due to the new normals.

I'm guessing the anomaly of the 1970's drops off the books.

2.7" will be the storm total here. Seemed kinda high just based on appearances (I would have eyeballed it a hair over 2"). But I measured in several spots and there was virtually no wind.

Jan will finish with 8.8" monthly snowfall.

I got 6.5cm here, not bad I guess lol.

Since November, here are my monthly snowfall totals;

November: 2.1cm (0.8")

December: 12.9cm (5.1")

January: 24.1cm (9.5")

Total=39.1cm (15.4")

And remember normal is around 80-85cm. Too bad this will be gone in a couple of hours, how sad. Then again every flake counts this winter.

Temps just surged to 50 here as the warm front crawls northward through the night. This is the 12th day so far in December and January that it has hit 50, tomorrow will be number 13. Conversely BKL has only had 7 sub freezing high temp days.

In fact, the forecasted high tomorrow was just 49. And we've already just hit that. Wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow turns out to be the warmest day this winter.

CLE-LAKEFRONT CLOUDY 50 26 39 S25G39 29.94F

Wow thats nuts. I was aware of the temps to our west and northwest, but didnt realize it was that warm in Cleveland! Detroit has actually dropped to 28F from our high of 34F with our inch of snowcover still completely intact. Will be interesting to see when the temp starts surging. EDIT: went from 31F at 9pm to 28F at 10pm to 32F at 11pm. Here it comes :(

I checked and DTW has hit 50F+ 7 times in Dec/Jan (4 in Dec, 3 in Jan). Tomorrow should be #8 (MOS has us in the upper 40s but per upstream obs Im sure well hit 50).

Wow thats nuts. I was aware of the temps to our west and northwest, but didnt realize it was that warm in Cleveland! Detroit has actually dropped to 28F from our high of 34F with our inch of snowcover still completely intact. Will be interesting to see when the temp starts surging.

I checked and DTW has hit 50F+ 7 times in Dec/Jan (4 in Dec, 3 in Jan). Tomorrow should be #8 (MOS has us in the upper 40s but per upstream obs Im sure well hit 50).

For us, while temps should warm pretty well regardless, how warm they get will depend on the development of stratocumulus.

DTX is pretty optimistic with their mostly sunny forecast and a high of 54*F, but I'm leaning towards climo and expecting a hazy day with broken stratocumulus tomorrow and highs in the mid-upper 40s. In fact, seasonal trends would support that too. There have been numerous days this winter where DTX forecast sunny skies and we instread had a notable period of BKN-OVC skies (Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Even immediately come to mind).

BTW, City Airport is at 39*F now.

Wow thats nuts. I was aware of the temps to our west and northwest, but didnt realize it was that warm in Cleveland! Detroit has actually dropped to 28F from our high of 34F with our inch of snowcover still completely intact. Will be interesting to see when the temp starts surging. EDIT: went from 31F at 9pm to 28F at 10pm to 32F at 11pm. Here it comes :(

The front came through here just after sunset this evening ... after morning lows around 20 and afternoon temps in the lower 30s. Looks like KDUH in southern Monroe County is up to 45, give it another hour or two and you'll be in the 40s.

Its very calm here this morning. Once the warm front moved through temps spiked to the upper 30s then stayed steady all night, and with dewpoints in the low 30s, there has been no wind, no fog, and we still have a solid albeit light compacted snowcover of just under an inch (whereas yesterday it was a little over an inch). DTW's record high today is 60F think thats REALLY a stretch.

Archived