Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
January 2012 General Discussion/Obs Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was scrolling through some old winter pictures and I saw one of January 2009 and was almost floored by how it looked. Here in Toledo that was tied for the snowiest January ever with 1978 and it never melted. Wound up getting our snowpack up to 24" which is unheard of around here and it never really was below a foot until thaws came in Feb. This winter has been weird in how snowless it has been. There just has been nothing really to track

Lots of clouds today. Not sure how much we clear out. Looks like I'm on the edge, but another thick band is moving across Minnesota. Need a strong Canadian high pressure to come in a clear out the clouds again. Sure its mild, but all these clouds makes a guy want to drive into oncoming traffic.

Up to 35 °F as of 1 pm. Fog is starting to thin out a little, but I doubt it'll go away today. Depressing to have such conditions for days in a row like you say.

Lots of clouds today. Not sure how much we clear out. Looks like I'm on the edge, but another thick band is moving across Minnesota. Need a strong Canadian high pressure to come in a clear out the clouds again. Sure its mild, but all these clouds makes a guy want to drive into oncoming traffic.

Wow, you definitely wouldn't last long here in Western Michigan then! However, the summers here are beautiful and sunny because of the lake.

When we had no snow cover our temp was overperforming nearly every day. Since we've had snow the temp has been underperforming. Yesterday the forecast was for upper 30s, but we only got up to about 32. Today was supposed to be upper 30s as well, but more fog and stratus has kept us in the low 30s for much of the day. Just now we are inching up to the mid 30s. Meanwhile, snowless central and southern Iowa has shot up well into the 40s.

Sun is back. Was interesting...The cloud line was almost directly over my house. To the south clouds (low) and to the north blue skies (i'm sure Winona has been sunny all day)... This has happened before. Ended up hitting 37F or 38F. Snow piles have really settled today. Just from this morning it looks like a lot less snow (its just compacted)....

Couple inches again tomorrow, cold weekend...

It has been a cloudy day here, except about a 5 minute break of sun at about 1pm! Been a very cloudy, damp week. Hanging near 40° this afternoon with some fog. Seems like there's more cloudy days this January with all the milder air around.

CLE has had 17 consecutive days with precipitation. Two of those days were just a trace, but still impressive. We should be able to string it out 19 days. Ironically, up until the heavy burst of rain that hit this evening, CLE was running a precipitation deficit for the month.

Still hanging onto about an inch of snow on the ground. Expecting 50s tomorrow and Tuesday, with mid 40s Wed-Fri. Needless to say our snowcover will be history until further notice.

MLI still at 9.0" for the season. All-time lowest seasonal snowfall there is 11.1". Obviously a long shot, but they're still in the game for that record.

Still hanging onto about an inch of snow on the ground. Expecting 50s tomorrow and Tuesday, with mid 40s Wed-Fri. Needless to say our snowcover will be history until further notice.

I still have a good five inches or so in my backyard. However, I'm at the southern edge of the snowcover so we should get well into the 40s Monday and Tuesday and that should melt it quickly.

Archived