Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Jan 20th snow event

Thundersnow12

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's tough, but at least we are not likely to get shutout, like the 6z NAM was showing. Saying that, my preliminary call for Toronto is 2-4 cm (1-1.5").

LES could have made this more interesting, but there's not much of a gradient and thus winds are going to stay light. This to me is why the models aren't really painting much in along the western shores.

I concur with the amounts you posted. About half of what I was thinking yesterday.

The Euro has been extremely consistent in keeping most of the snow to my northeast. I was waiting until this morning's model runs to get a better idea of what I might get, and the Euro appears to have slammed the door shut for anything of note here. I suppose 2 inches is something, but it's a definite buzzkill after what some of the models have teased us with. Our locals appear to be out to lunch with this system. One verteran met just showed the stupid mesoscale snowcast again that drops 10 inches in Cedar Rapids and Iowa City with only a couple inches in far northeast Iowa. He must have seen the latest models, so I don't know why the heck he showed that ridiculous map again and talked about it like it was set in stone.

The Euro has been extremely consistent in keeping most of the snow to my northeast. I was waiting until this morning's model runs to get a better idea of what I might get, and the Euro appears to have slammed the door shut for anything of note here. I suppose 2 inches is something, but it's a definite buzzkill after what some of the models have teased us with. Our locals appear to be out to lunch with this system. One verteran met just showed the stupid mesoscale snowcast again that drops 10 inches in Cedar Rapids and Iowa City with only a couple inches in far northeast Iowa. He must have seen the latest models, so I don't know why the heck he showed that ridiculous map again and talked about it like it was set in stone.

Yeah one of the local TV stations showed some futurecast type thing that slammed areas as far south as southeast Iowa lol. Have no idea what model that's based on.

We can still hope that when the 00z guidance comes in, and it's better sampled that the H5 wave digs a little further south than the previous runs. Like I said yesterday it sure seems weird to go from subzero readings to a system missing largely to the north in less than 12hrs.

The Euro has been as consistent as you come with this system while the American models have been wavering with run to run consistency.

The GFS has done quite well in the consistency department, especially the ensemble mean and has been better than the Euro IMBY. Either way i'm using a split between them for about .35" of liquid for 5" of snow.

12Z Euro an improvement for northern areas...

MOP: 0.18

DET: 0.33

PTK: 0.28

DTW: 0.38

BTL: 0.38

GRR: 0.32

MKG: 0.31

MKE: 0.42

ORD: 0.40

DBQ: 0.33

DVN: 0.13

LAF: 0.16

YYZ: 0.11

BOO YEAH!!! :thumbsup: Eat IT Bowme!!!

euro stunned me. figured for sure it was going to be down from last nights 0.38" and be more like 0.30" at best

:( So so so sorry..

Even with the lighter QPF runs from before we have always been in a good spot for Solid snows.. Ratios will be killer up here and no the weak ass SE/E winds won't cut down on the dendrite size..

The GFS has done quite well in the consistency department, especially the ensemble mean and has been better than the Euro IMBY. Either way i'm using a split between them for about .35" of liquid for 5" of snow.

Yeah the GFS locally for you has been consistent, but it has wavered back and forth as for what would happen for East of Chicago.

Both the NMM and ARW peg I-80 for >0.50" of liquid. The NMM much more, the ARW a lot less but still an area showing up.

I know the NMM tends to run wet at times, but I thought the ARW ran dry? So I'm anthused now. :snowman:

Of course the Euro is way down there, but I have to hope the mesos have more reliability at this range than the globals.

Both the NMM and ARW peg I-80 for >0.50" of liquid. The NMM much more, the ARW a lot less but still an area showing up.

I know the NMM tends to run wet at times, but I thought the ARW ran dry? So I'm anthused now. :snowman:

Of course the Euro is way down there, but I have to hope the mesos have more reliability at this range than the globals.

I'll start putting a lot more weight on the meso/hi-res runs after 0z tonight...that said this mornings action trended up in QPF right at the last minute, given the zonal flow with such low amplitude ripples, it's possible we'll see a similar uptick but I wouldn't bank on it.

Archived