Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 20th snow event

Thundersnow12

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, panic/delight over the 18z NAM.

classic stuff...still pretty confident with my first call...will save any meltdowns for the 0z runs.

EDIT: looks like extreme NE Illinois makes out ok as the back end pulls through, really takes places south and west of I90 out of the game though...very much like the Euro.

classic stuff...still pretty confident with my first call...will save any meltdowns for the 0z runs.

EDIT: looks like extreme NE Illinois makes out ok as the back end pulls through, really takes places south and west of I90 out of the game though...very much like the E

Your call looks good. I guess I don't get all the fuss about one model run after pretty good agreement with the majority at 12z. Alas...

NAM well north, crushes southern WI.

EDIT: looks like extreme NE Illinois makes out ok as the back end pulls through, really takes places south and west of I90 out of the game though...very much like the Euro.

Ends up making a last second dive south past MI/IN/OH... crushes lower michigan down to I-80

Your call looks good. I guess I don't get all the fuss about one model run after pretty good agreement with the majority at 12z. Alas...

Probably has something to do with such a small band and tight gradient and when you have a perceived trend of the NAM/Euro going north you can expect some concern. I think I'm far enough north and east to have a little cushion and have kept my call reasonable but it's going to be tight.

EDIT: i think crushes is being overused.

EE rule my friend.

Probably has something to do with such a small band and tight gradient and when you have a perceived trend of the NAM/Euro going north you can expect some concern. I think I'm far enough north and east to have a little cushion and have kept my call reasonable but it's going to be tight.

Well the Euro wasn't a complete shutout south of I-88 though...in NE IL. Really it just expanded the north edge in MN and WI. But yeah it'll be a tight gradient in the end. But again, just my humble opinion...I wouldn't get too excited or too down based off the 18z NAM.

Would I be correct to assume that since most of the Precip is at night that it would greatly increase freezing rain chances?

Not really. It mostly is because of some warm air advection just above a cold layer at the surface. If this system speeds up a little, we could see it begin in the late afternoon tomorrow and some areas could see it through Saturday morning. We're likely going to be straddling the freezing line just above the surface during that time, so it's a very tricky situation along the I-70 corridor.

Well the Euro wasn't a complete shutout south of I-88 though...in NE IL. Really it just expanded the north edge in MN and WI. But yeah it'll be a tight gradient in the end. But again, just my humble opinion...I wouldn't get too excited or too down based off the 18z NAM.

Words to live by, the model has a lot of work to do before getting back in good standing. I do find it a little suspicious that the wave would push so far east and not dive a little further south along the baroclinic zone but it really doesn't matter.

Suffice it to say, if Illinois wins, you can expect .75"+ over ORD on the 0z runs.

Archived