• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 20th snow event

Thundersnow12

Even though this possible system isn't even close to coming onshore yet, all the models are in a pretty good agreement in bringing a low amplitude wave running through the mean flow and across an impressive baroclinic zone resulting in a decent WSW-ESE snow band from the plains into the lakes region.

The 12z Euro actually came in really wet giving southern WI a 6-10" snowfall. The GEM and GFS are further south and a bit weaker.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although there isn't much of a Gulf connection, looks like a decent setup with tight thermal gradient as you said. These are usually good for a band or two of heavy snow. 12z Euro looks good especially north of I-80 but was messy down this way.

Nice hit for WI. Looks wet here. All I know is I want no part of s****. Yes, I put asterisks up...it's a five letter bad word to me now. :lol:

The GFS looks to suppressed. The pattern needs to be more zonal. That could be why it isn't as warm afterwords like it should be either.

Some of the ECMWF ensembles really lift the overrunning frozen precip to I-80 north fwiw.

I haven't been keeping track but are the same biases still in play as previous winters....gfs always too far southeast, euro always right?

Euro has had this system now for about 3 days and really hasn't deviated off the track much at all either. It could be a nice hit for those along and North of I-80. This is the first system all year where I am modestly excited about the potential for the region/locally.

Euro has had this system now for about 3 days and really hasn't deviated off the track much at all either. It could be a nice hit for those along and North of I-80. This is the first system all year where I am modestly excited about the potential for the region/locally.

Same here. Lets hope for the EURO to be consistent for another 2-3 days

Agree. The EURO/GEM have been consistent and the GFS has waffled from about the U.P. to I-70, so all in all as good of shape as you can be in this far out. Consistency is both exciting and scary 4 days out.

Whats funny is weve already had 10 inches of snow and it certainly doesnt feel like it, and this event looks to melt a few days later with the warmup. This winter could be one where you sit back in April and look at the season total and say wtf?

Agree. The EURO/GEM have been consistent and the GFS has waffled from about the U.P. to I-70, so all in all as good of shape as you can be in this far out. Consistency is both exciting and scary 4 days out.

Whats funny is weve already had 10 inches of snow and it certainly doesnt feel like it, and this event looks to melt a few days later with the warmup. This winter could be one where you sit back in April and look at the season total and say wtf?

Well now I wouldn't get this confident yet either, there is still a range of solutions out there. Plus like you said it is 4 days out, things can/have changed before. Thus my modest excitement at the potential.

Well now I wouldn't get this confident yet either, there is still a range of solutions out there. Plus like you said it is 4 days out, things can/have changed before. Thus my modest excitement at the potential.

Oh trust me Im not too confident. I know as well as anybody how the models surprise and disappoint, and 4 days might as well be a lifetime in model-land. But with so much consistency, however, I am confident that SOMEONE will get some good snow out of this.

I say this now and watch all the models take it away :ee:

Archived