12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 20th snow event

Thundersnow12

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't remember the typical sleet ratio....I think it's around 3:1? If so then we could get close to the half inch if precip is mostly sleet.

3:1 sounds right. Eh, the consensus precip totals seem to be in the 0.15-0.20" range for us...so he better hope it's all sleet. Again, I'll take the under on that nonsense.

Hmmm just glancing at the new RPM and to keep it a choice of topic here lol, it does show a new interesting solution.

Has the intial band of snow fire well north in SD/IA/MN that weakens and the main band ends up developing over central IA and is a good run for points eastward

http://www.chicagoweathercenter.com/maps/rpm/

Hmmm just glancing at the new RPM and to keep it a choice of topic here lol, it does show a new interesting solution.

Has the intial band of snow fire well north in SD/IA/MN that weakens and the main band ends up developing over central IA and is a good run for points eastward

http://www.chicagowe...r.com/maps/rpm/

Cool! Looks a bit further south too.

No one should live and die by any model. Well, a little for the Euro I suppose. :D

I would tend to agree. But FWIW, the GFS (at least out W) was pretty superior to all guidance w.r.t. overall track, and most importantly, amplitude of the wave as it crossed into the plains. ECMWF even a couple days ago almost had nothing aloft...a weak piece of junk wave and a track into NE.

I would tend to agree. But FWIW, the GFS (at least out W) was pretty superior to all guidance w.r.t. overall track, and most importantly, amplitude of the wave as it crossed into the plains. ECMWF even a couple days ago almost had nothing aloft...a weak piece of junk wave and a track into NE.

Good to know about out west. GFS has seemingly been pretty consistent in this neck of the woods. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

In terms of wetness of the solutions, I think what they (the models) are keying in on is the rather intense deformation frontogenesis and the relatively narrow corridor in association with the vortex across Canada. WAA will be relatively minimal as that vortex across Canada will essentially turn much of the advection pattern into a strong frontogenetical zone. Horizontal deformation frontogenesis is key here...and there will be a lot of it.

In terms of wetness of the solutions, I think what they (the models) are keying in on is the rather intense deformation frontogenesis and the relatively narrow corridor in association with the vortex across Canada. WAA will be relatively minimal as that vortex across Canada will essentially turn much of the advection pattern into a strong frontogenetical zone. Horizontal deformation frontogenesis is key here...and there will be a lot of it.

Thanks for chiming in sir, hope you are around some tonight and tomorrow.

I will be in here and both the plains thread as this thing gets going. Finally off after 5 shifts in a row of 4 AM (12Z upper air shifts) doom.

Yikes, although I enjoyed doing upper air when I was the SCEP at WFO NYC, so glad we don't have it here at LOT, we keep our morning data desk shifts to 6-2 year round. 12z in the winter can obviously be busy and we have to be here a bit earlier for it. Which FO are you at? Appreciate the thoughts on the snow event too.

In the past with these west to ESE systems, they usually end up staying along and south of 94. But with the lack of blocking this year, a bit surprised its not going a lil further north.

Looking like it may be one of the few events where the D and southern counties do better than the mountains of Oakland County.

Archived