• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Jan 20th snow event

Thundersnow12

GFS follows the NAM and is a little cooler in the mid levels, QPF remains on the lower side (which is stil the high side of what I used in my call) but would fluff up to 6-7" across the LOT watched area. My 5" call is looking a little bit low but I'll wait a little longer to reevaluate but there have been some positive trends with respect to thermals...possibly in response to the models having a better grasp of the atmosphere post artic front.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

compared to last week's system...just in terms of accumulations on roadways. . .

the evening commute could be much worse than it was with the last system . . . as izzi was saying, much colder ground temps compared... we had 50's for three days before the last one....far from that with this one... been tellin' my buds to put a little extra gas in the 'ol tank before the evening commute tomorrow... not an insane snowstorm, but with temps and timing, could be quite disruptive tomorrow evening

IWX:

BRIEF LULL IN ACTIVE WINTER WEATHER TONIGHT...WITH ATTENTION

TURNING TO NEXT SNOW PRODUCER FOR FRIDAY. 12Z NAM HAS COME IN

FAIRLY CONSISTENT WITH PREVIOUS RUNS AND CONFIDENCE CONTINUES TO

INCREASE IN AT LEAST A HIGHER END ADVISORY TYPE EVENT FOR NORTHERN

SECTIONS OF THE AREA. SNOW TO LIQUID RATIOS WILL PLAY A MAJOR

FACTOR IN DETERMINING EXACT AMOUNTS. WILL ASSESS REST OF 12Z DATA

BEFORE MAKING ANY DECISIONS ON POTENTIAL HEADLINES FOR FRI

AFTERNOON/NIGHT BUT CURRENT INDICATIONS STILL SUGGEST A HIGH END

ADVISORY OR LOW END WARNING EVENT FOR NORTHERN AREAS. MORE TO COME

ON THIS IN THE AFTERNOON DISCUSSION.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=IWX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

Subject to change but LE looks very minimal, high res showing a very transient band on the backside which won't drop more than an inch on the western shores. Only wildcard remains mesolow development, super cold air in the morning sitting over the warm bowl end with calm winds turn light from the ESE could spin something up but too early to tell.

compared to last week's system...just in terms of accumulations on roadways. . .

the evening commute could be much worse than it was with the last system . . . as izzi was saying, much colder ground temps compared... we had 50's for three days before the last one....far from that with this one... been tellin' my buds to put a little extra gas in the 'ol tank before the evening commute tomorrow... not an insane snowstorm, but with temps and timing, could be quite disruptive tomorrow evening

And that one lasted well past 3 am and was a very light snow. This will probably only last till midnight, with some lingering LES. Fast moving, probably higher snow fall rates. Evening rush will be a mess.

Subject to change but LE looks very minimal, high res showing a very transient band on the backside which won't drop more than an inch on the western shores. Only wildcard remains mesolow development, super cold air in the morning sitting over the warm bowl end with calm winds turn light from the ESE could spin something up but too early to tell.

Milwaukee currently 3F and still falling...yikes.

These sharp cut offs are always scary for snow lovers:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

1043 AM CST THU JAN 19 2012

DISCUSSION

1043 AM CST

WANTED TO SHARE A COUPLE PRELIM THOUGHTS ON FRIDAY/FRI NIGHT

SYSTEM...

CONTINUING TO DIG THROUGH 12Z GUIDANCE THAT IS COMING IN...PRELIM

THOUGHTS AT THIS POINT ARE TO LET WATCH RIDE ON THIS SHIFT AND

DEFER ANY POSSIBLE UPGRADE TO THE EVENING OR OVERNIGHT SHIFT AS

EVENT STILL APPEARS TO BE BORDERLINE ADVISORY/WARNING AND

PRIMARILY A LATE 2ND/EARLY 3RD PERIOD EVENT. DOES APPEAR AS

THOUGH THERE WILL BE A SHARP CUT-OFF TO THE SIGNIFICANT PRECIP ON

THE SOUTHERN EDGE WHICH WILL FURTHER COMPLICATE FORECAST. WILL

LIKELY BE CUTTING POPS SIGNIFICANTLY OVER SOUTHERN MOST CWA AND

SHARPENING UP THE POP GRADIENT IN THE GRIDS. MORE ON THE STORM

LATER...

IZZI

Very impressive. Cold seems to have been missed by some of the short range models. Though I guess the Extreme Cold Warnings to the NW should have given us a clue. :lol:

Yeah...this is a good old-fashioned CAA situation...you know it's impressive when an urban area like MKE is so cold this late in the morning. :)

Madison is -1F and leveling out, ORD is 13F and falling.

12z RGEM p-type plots has the icing threat south of here and through central/southern OH...interesting. Tries to sneak LAF into some mod snow for a couple of hours at the end.

IND currently has LAF as all snow tomorrow night. So, I will take this one for you guys in LAF, as IND showing S***T for MBY tomorrow evening.

Your welcome in advance. :lol:

IND currently has LAF as all snow tomorrow night. So, I will take this one for you guys in LAF, as IND showing S***T for MBY tomorrow evening.

Your welcome in advance. :lol:

lol, it's probably still a mix for here...but the -ZR part is losing steam. Doesn't look like a great amount of precip anyway...as we get fringed to the north and south, but still get something. Who knows? :D

All the 12z guidance has ticked a hair north in this area, putting us near the razor sharp cutoff on the southern edge. The NAM shows the southwest portion of the QC with essentially nothing, while about 40 miles north there's 8". NWS point has us at 7" now, which would still be possible with a last minute bump south due to the extreme gradient. Still riding my 1-3" call for now. Chicago looks locked and loaded for a good snow.

Archived