Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 12-14 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious to see if we will be surrounded by advisories. I can see almost the whole midwest under a advisory except for metro detroit counties.

Won't happen, even with a 2-4" snowfall combined with wind potentials we will see an advisory. I am going with 2-5" right now, if trends go either way I'll revise in either direction. Also I don't see the sun coming out mid storm...

With the strength of the upper air system, moisture that is available, good snow growth, good track of upper air system, Omega/DGZ, etc.. I like a general 3-5" snow widespread over areas East of La Crosse-Cedar Rapids-Mount Pleasant-Galesburg. Even over through Ohio-Southeast Lower Michigan I think many places there will make out okay with at least 2-4". May see a few pockets close to 6" over extreme Northeast Iowa/Northwest Illinois/Extreme Southwest Wisconsin where the models seem to put in a little pocket of some extra lift and hang the snow in a bit. Then probably another pocket of 5-8" over Southeast Wisconsin/Northeast IL again with good lift/Omega's/Deep DGZ zone/moisture hanging on behind system longer. Going to be quite a dynamic system and I also wonder about the threat of a few isolated Thundersnow reports especially over Northern Illinois....that could play havoc with the snow amounts.

Stole this from Victor Gensini from our COD forum site and thought I'd share his thoughts here.

"Will be interesting to see snow totals out of tomorrows "clipper" type system. Typically it is *very* hard to get over 8" of the good stuff with the moisture starved trajectory of such a system. However, with a nearly 450mb deep dendritic growth zone (I've outlined this area in white), I've seen some crazy things happen. Lift is best in this region right at onset, but still respectable through the remainder of the event. I think that places out to the west and southwest have a much better shot at seeing 8" because of the much faster transition to colder maxT profiles. Just compare the DPA and PIA forecast soundings from the NAM...

Additionally, the eWRF soundings (shown below) show great agreement re: dendrite growth zone depth, liq. equivalent, and omega.

Still, I can see some people being caught off guard/surprised by this event, especially since it is the first "major" snowfall of the season."

With the strength of the upper air system, moisture that is available, good snow growth, good track of upper air system, Omega/DGZ, etc.. I like a general 3-5" snow widespread over areas East of La Crosse-Cedar Rapids-Mount Pleasant-Galesburg. Even over through Ohio-Southeast Lower Michigan I think many places there will make out okay with at least 2-4". May see a few pockets close to 6" over extreme Northeast Iowa/Northwest Illinois/Extreme Southwest Wisconsin where the models seem to put in a little pocket of some extra lift and hang the snow in a bit. Then probably another pocket of 5-8" over Southeast Wisconsin/Northeast IL again with good lift/Omega's/Deep DGZ zone/moisture hanging on behind system longer. Going to be quite a dynamic system and I also wonder about the threat of a few isolated Thundersnow reports especially over Northern Illinois....that could play havoc with the snow amounts.

:wub:

Hopefully T-Snow12 can finally get to see some..

This is our first true snowstorm of the year. How sad. Hopefully it isn't the last.

My guess back around Xmas time or just before was the pattern would start changing between the 10-15th of January and that seems to be working out well with the upcoming snow/cold. This will definitely not be the last system for many, many folks on this board. Even the big monster snow storms only tend to plaster an area maybe 150mi wide. So someone always wins and loses when talking about the max snow band. We have plenty of Winter left...and if anything I think we'll see two or three pretty big snowstorms in the next month- month and a half, lots of clippers, and a few meh snows where folks won't get in the heaviest band but still get something decent.

Now that the pattern is trying to undergo changes we'll see a lot of back and forth on models, probably see brief shots of seasonal warmth between cold shots, and storms on the front edge of those cold shots, probably have an ice storm sprinkeled in too as something comes in as the cold tries to briefly pull out. I think things will be fun the rest of the way, progressive pattern seems to be the rule but when things marry up in the atmosphere boy look out.

Archived