• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 12-14 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

Yeah it is great here. On the ground there is a good 16" here (none at the start but some piles from the last LES event). About 18" fell over the past 40 or so hours. Ski hills have been packed with kids of all ages! :)

Nice report. Yea, Allegan is not exactly the classic tourist destination, but they do score well on snowfall with a combination of systems and LES. Saugatuck / Douglas is a really quaint and unique area on Lk. Michigan that is more tourist oriented. In a colder winter, I've seen some awesome shoreline pack ice (late winter '08 for one) that you can walk on. Reminded me of a lunar landscape. Really cool!

Enjoy Winter, seems it will be making a brief stay again..

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice report. Yea, Allegan is not exactly the classic tourist destination, but they do score well on snowfall with a combination of systems and LES. Saugatuck / Douglas is a really quaint and unique area on Lk. Michigan that is more tourist oriented. In a colder winter, I've seen some awesome shoreline pack ice (late winter '08 for one) that you can walk on. Reminded me of a lunar landscape. Really cool!

Enjoy Winter, seems it will be making a brief stay again..

I should drive to Saugatuck SP tomorrow morning and do one of those hikes to the lake. You are right about Allegan area. I have been coming to this area for the past several years. I call it one of the best unknowns in southern MI.

Once I saw the models targeting SW MI lake-shore counties I set up this trip so I could be here for possibly the best storm of the winter. Mother nature came through with this 18" event! :snowing: As you maybe able to tell I am just stoked everything worked out. Now it's time to do some :sled:

1.7" yesterday, than another 0.5" overnight into this morning, though it did settle some and you can see some tips of grass (in that 2.2" snow the water content was 0.11"), then flurries all afternoon are now giving way to another moderate to maybe heavy band of snow trying to develop right over the immediate Detroit metro area. Could it be a second LES band in as many days ftw? :snowing:

Hey blackrock how are you doing in tonight's LES band in Muskegon? I see the 9PM report shows 1/4 mile visibility in Heavy snow there!

We did great with it in Allegan area we current have ~15" on the ground. ~18" fell. GRR snowfall map does not represent this area very well with the snowfall, they must not have received many reports in Allegan or Van Buren between 131 and the lake. Sledding today was great! Time to ski tomorrow! :snowing:

Archived