12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 12-14 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picked up a few more tenths over the last few hours bringing the total here to 4.6". Light snow continues to funnel south out of Wisconsin, so we still have a slight chance at reaching the 5" mark.

Was out shoveling a while ago, and it was cold! Wind was whipping some of the snow back at my face at times. Wind chill has been below zero much of the day and evening. What an amazing turn around from the mid 50s from yesterday!

Probably final OBS for the evening for myself from bolingbrook here...unless i decide to stay up and mobile for the euro . . .

took about 25 measurements this time as things are blowin' around quite a bit. . .

average came out somewhere between 6 and 6.1 ... so probably a safe bet to go with 6.0 ... forgot to check my drift but after shoveling the drive i'm not planning on headin' back out til the morning ...

if we get a couple more pockets of SN i could see us hittin' 7 inches...as the driveway is already covered back over in snow...

currently -SN, but we probably had a 45 minute window of bouncing back and forth from SN to SN+

good system...ratios sucked most of the day...but they also provided enough wetness to make a snowman with my 3 year old...so good with the bad...

cheers

Looks like I will end up with 3.4" overall it was a decent event and the forecast for the most part was right on target..... overnight drifting looks to be a big concern as we have had winds up to 30mph at times

that back side band had quite the kick to it, or all the snow blew over from EIU's campus not sure, but we ended up with 2.5- 2.75" here at my place in Chucktown... a very good forecast all around IMO

Saw that as well. Looks nice, radar is filling in. May just pull out 2-3 inches out of this thing.

IWX just did a VERY recent update...

UPDATE2...

NR TERM OBSVNL TRENDS INDICATE RAPID INTENSIFICATION OF MID LVL

DEFORMATION ZONE AS SEEN IN IR IMAGERY W/COOLING TOPS NOTED FM NE IL

INTO CNTRL MI. CONCURRENT RAPID EXPANSION/INTENSIFICATION IN RADAR

RTNS ONGOING W/RECENT REPORTS INDICATING NR 1 IN HOUR SNOW RATES.

SHRT TERM RUC/HRRR TRENDS VRY BULLISH OVERNIGHT ALTHOUGH EWD BIASED

W/POSITION OF LK PLUME OVR WRN PORTION OF LK MI CURRENTLY.

REGARDLESS XPC INCREASING SNOWFALL/WIND GOING FORWARD AS LK PLUME

ENTRAINS UNDERNEATH INTENSIFYING MID LVL DEFORMATION ZONE. LL

FRONTOGENESIS MAX WOULD SUGGEST NR 2 IN PER HOUR SNOW RATES LTR THIS

MORNING WITHIN THE WARNING AREA.

They also raised snow totals slightly in there text forecast except for the furthest eastern counties...

6.0" has fallen so far here. Had to resort to measuring several locations - wind started blowing snow off my board. Might be able to get another 0.5" with another pocket of snow moving south from Kenosha County. Not a bad storm at all! Looking forward to the next!

IWX just did a VERY recent update...

They also raised snow totals slightly in there text forecast except for the furthest eastern counties...

Radar just filled in big time for both of us on the last scan. Is it reaching the ground now up there? I can't get out side here.

that back side band had quite the kick to it, or all the snow blew over from EIU's campus not sure, but we ended up with 2.5- 2.75" here at my place in Chucktown... a very good forecast all around IMO

Yea I was surprised with how strong the last band was...derick mentioned in the chat how at one point it was basically hovering over our area for awhile

Yea I was surprised with how strong the last band was...derick mentioned in the chat how at one point it was basically hovering over our area for awhile

LOL I was watching the Blues game so I wasn't looking out the window, plus Mediacom has been well shakier than the wind in this stuff... sure looks great though.... little dark in my area to get a good pic on my iphone but I'll likely try here in a minute

Had to...haha...I live off of 52. Granted, being in a 4wd truck helps :)

The worst part of it was that you couldn't see the lines on the road or what was road and what wasn't.

lol, 4wd helps no doubt. Seems that hill is always a beast in snowstorms. Well that combined with the slow plow response in LAF/WL.

Archived