amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 12-14 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better yet, here is pictures. Fence is 40 feet away (to the east). About every 4 hours during a storm (while I'm at home or not sleeping!) The big tree to the right side does mess up totals if the wind is ESE/SE. Snow board may be more like 18-20 feet from the house. Ruler in picture is a 12" ruler - snow is just below 7" mark. --One thing I thought of... in geology you learn about orographic lift. I am at 750 feet - the highest spot in the eastern half of the county. Probably not enough elevation change to impact snowfall amounts too much. I do know the Kettle Moraine west of Milwaukee is known to get higher totals due to their 1200'+ elevation.

384146_3037680987950_1440765701_3072650_1119665147_n.jpg _ 405287_3037682267982_1440765701_3072652_893546583_n.jpg

There's your biggest problem. You should clear your board no more frequently than once per every 6 hours while it's snowing. You can measure as much as you'd like in the interim, but don't clear it. That's per NWS standards IIRC.

Also, ideally, you should have a less obstructed measuring environment, eg flat grass without benches, birdbaths, etc. I understand that's more of a chore to change though.

So, uh, we were forecasted to get about 1-2" of snow.

We have 7" on the ground and it's still snowing. I'm not really sure how much is synoptic and how much is LES.

It's insane out there. Nobody had any idea this much snow was coming. Roads are a complete mess, and the wind is really picking up now, meaning there is a lot of drifting out there.

I haven't witnessed a forecast bust so hard here since the surprise storm on Feb. 5th, 2011. This is fantastic.

I wonder if we can make a run for 8" :lmao:

DSCN6185.jpg

DSCN6193.jpg

DSCN6164.jpg

DSCN6132.jpg

DSCN6126.jpg

So, uh, we were forecasted to get about 1-2" of snow.

We have 7" on the ground and it's still snowing. I'm not really sure how much is synoptic and how much is LES.

It's insane out there. Nobody had any idea this much snow was coming. Roads are a complete mess, and the wind is really picking up now, meaning there is a lot of drifting out there.

I haven't witnessed a forecast bust so hard here since the surprise storm on Feb. 5th, 2011. This is fantastic.

I wonder if we can make a run for 8" :lmao:

DSCN6185.jpg

DSCN6193.jpg

DSCN6164.jpg

DSCN6132.jpg

DSCN6126.jpg

Just saw exeter radar. very impressive. It's not LES by the looks of it. Congrats.

There's your biggest problem. You should clear your board no more frequently than once per every 6 hours while it's snowing. You can measure as much as you'd like in the interim, but don't clear it. That's per NWS standards IIRC.

Also, ideally, you should have a less obstructed measuring environment, eg flat grass without benches, birdbaths, etc. I understand that's more of a chore to change though.

Thanks! I'll try the "no more then once every 6 hours clearing". Further back in the yard there's more open areas to measure. I'll try that and see how I come out next time relative to nearby observations.

have to say, I don't have my boards out, but have gone out to our normal Friday night dinner, PV, and we have had more snow here than we did all last night and morning....roads covered, grass buried, its amazing. Quite a nice surprise!

PV sounds delicious right now. I'll be in Muncie Sunday and Monday. That might have to be a stop.

Ended up with 1.7" of snow today, much better than I had anticipated. Felt SO good to shovel a little powder! A surprise I-94 band developed in the evening, and accounted for about 0.7 of our 1.7" total. A few drifts of 4-5" in the more open areas. Though this is my 2nd largest snowfall of the season, tonight is by far the wintriest night of the 2011-12 season so far, love the way the snow sparkles.

3017-800.jpg

3018-800.jpg

Officially we have had 1.6" at the airport here, just a shade below my 2-4" for the area but not too bad considering all things. Places further North and West in DTX's CWA did receive more than 2". Of course along the water and on the East side where I live we barely scratched out an inch.

Officially we have had 1.6" at the airport here, just a shade below my 2-4" for the area but not too bad considering all things. Places further North and West in DTX's CWA did receive more than 2". Of course along the water and on the East side where I live we barely scratched out an inch.

On the east side/water south of Detroit, we actually made out way better than I was anticipating. We picked up 1 inch throughout the day (probably the same generally as you) but then that surprise I-94 band set up around 5:30pm and we scratched out another 0.7" over a 3-hour span while the band persisted for 1.7" total. It was still flurrying as I shoveled but then with nothing but scattered flurries in the forecast overnight, I thought we were done, but everything is re-covered this morning, we got another 0.4". SO fricking nice to see the grass COMPLETELY covered (it was for like 12 hours Dec 5/6th with sloppy wet snow, but this powder is my favorite) :thumbsup: So weve had 2.1" total accumulation for Jan 13/14 so far and now snow showers with up to another inch forecast today.

If we can hit 3" for a 2-day total with how it looked in the days leading up to this event (even though this is the lake portion), it will be a huge success in my book.

Well I am so glad I drove out to Allegan/Van Buren Counties on Thursday. The models had this area as a sweet spot. What a great storm/LES combo this has been. The place area I am staying is approaching has received 15-18" from this storm/LES combo. Most in these two counties have ~10-18". Downhill skiing here has been awesome with so much fresh snow. Now today is sledding day. :snowing::sled::snowing:

I received around 1.5-1.7" hard to get a real good accurate reading. Im going with 1.6"

Well I am so glad I drove out to Allegan/Van Buren Counties on Thursday. The models had this area as a sweet spot. What a great storm/LES combo this has been. The place area I am staying is approaching has received 15-18" from this storm/LES combo. Most in these two counties have ~10-18". Downhill skiing here has been awesome with so much fresh snow. Now today is sledding day. :snowing::sled::snowing:

Wow sounds like fun! I suspect some kids will be sledding here today with a few inches of powder, but I am SO jealous of that deep snow. Thats what I plan to do the first weekend of March, chase the best snow in MI.

Wow sounds like fun! I suspect some kids will be sledding here today with a few inches of powder, but I am SO jealous of that deep snow. Thats what I plan to do the first weekend of March, chase the best snow in MI.

Yeah it is great here. On the ground there is a good 16" here (none at the start but some piles from the last LES event). About 18" fell over the past 40 or so hours. Ski hills have been packed with kids of all ages! :)

Checked some webcams, looks like quite a bit of grass still showing from Detroit city northeast to Warren/Roseville area. Looks like the 94 band is what really saved the east side south of town.

Watch the radar next time on similar kind of pattern on how the snow shield hits a wall as it approaches macimb county. Oakland cty is macombs worst nightmare if your a snow lover in macomb.

Archived