northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 12-14 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The snow is coming down moderately hard here but the flakes are small and rimed...

Akron and Mansfield reporting 3/4 mile visibility at 10pm, so I'm expecting some true snow to start falling under the heavier returns that are surging north.

Temp is sitting right around freezing but should continue falling, so I'm expecting the snow to start sticking soon. Masfield is at 23 currently.

Would be a shame if ORD doesn't make 6" with all that research I did. :axe:

There's nothing we can do about it, but the 2.3" at ORD as of 00z seemed awfully low. 10:1 ratio seemed good to start, but we were thinking it was probably a bit higher ratio as the afternoon wore on. But in this situation with the wind, measuring is compromised for everyone. I had a hell of a time with the measurement at 00z too here at LOT.

2.2" at VU. Grass measurement, so take it fwiw. That's just 0.5" in the last 2 hours, and we're back down to -SN again.

I assume RCNYILWX is a NWS met at LOT? I know all the Philly NWS mets' usernames, but no one from out here. I tried submitting a Spotter Report but it said transmission failed or something like that.

2.2" at VU. Grass measurement, so take it fwiw. That's just 0.5" in the last 2 hours, and we're back down to -SN again.

I assume RCNYILWX is a NWS met at LOT? I know all the Philly NWS mets' usernames, but no one from out here. I tried submitting a Spotter Report but it said transmission failed or something like that.

Yup, I'm the Met Intern here, I've been sending out your reports as public, but are you a trained spotter?

There's nothing we can do about it, but the 2.3" at ORD as of 00z seemed awfully low. 10:1 ratio seemed good to start, but we were thinking it was probably a bit higher ratio as the afternoon wore on. But in this situation with the wind, measuring is compromised for everyone. I had a hell of a time with the measurement at 00z too here at LOT.

Yeah it's tough. It does seem like the ratios may be better as you go south but hard to say to what extent.

Archived