Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 12-14 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess back around Xmas time or just before was the pattern would start changing between the 10-15th of January and that seems to be working out well with the upcoming snow/cold. This will definitely not be the last system for many, many folks on this board. Even the big monster snow storms only tend to plaster an area maybe 150mi wide. So someone always wins and loses when talking about the max snow band. We have plenty of Winter left...and if anything I think we'll see two or three pretty big snowstorms in the next month- month and a half, lots of clippers, and a few meh snows where folks won't get in the heaviest band but still get something decent.

Now that the pattern is trying to undergo changes we'll see a lot of back and forth on models, probably see brief shots of seasonal warmth between cold shots, and storms on the front edge of those cold shots, probably have an ice storm sprinkeled in too as something comes in as the cold tries to briefly pull out. I think things will be fun the rest of the way, progressive pattern seems to be the rule but when things marry up in the atmosphere boy look out.

It funny you mention Ice storm. I was talking with some people at work today about it. Seems like one of those years that there will be a pretty good one. Maybe not IMBY but I would not be surprised if we do see a significant Ice Storm yet this winter/spring.

DTX going with 2-3", locally 4" throughout SE MI. Seems like it will be a longduration light snow event based on what Im seeing. Should easily be our 2nd best if not best snowfall of the season (Dec 5th saw 2.4" imby and 3.4" at DTW, mostly all on grass). It does look to stay fairly "mild" tomorrow night, but Im sure we will FINALLY be able to shovel! Whats funny is both my parents and aunt bought really neat snowblowers this past Fall (my parents first ever), after so many years of heavy snow they figured its time. Now if only they could get to use them lol!!!

DTX going with 2-3", locally 4" throughout SE MI. Seems like it will be a longduration light snow event based on what Im seeing. Should easily be our 2nd best if not best snowfall of the season (Dec 5th saw 2.4" imby and 3.4", mostly all on grass). It does look to stay fairly "mild" tomorrow night, but Im sure we will FINALLY be able to shovel! Whats funny is both my parents and aunt bought really neat snowblowers this past Fall (my parents first ever), after so many years of heavy snow they figured its time. Now if only they could get to use them lol!!!

Somehow IWX is only calling for 1-3" for NWOH... I almost feel like I'm missing something given the NAM/GFS/ECM all show a general 3-5/iso 6" amounts

Somehow IWX is only calling for 1-3" for NWOH... I almost feel like I'm missing something given the NAM/GFS/ECM all show a general 3-5/iso 6" amounts

Whats funny is both DTX and I think either MKE or LOT mentioned the long duration aspect of the snow, citing that snowfall totals may look a little less at the end from settling.

DTX going with 2-3", locally 4" throughout SE MI. Seems like it will be a longduration light snow event based on what Im seeing. Should easily be our 2nd best if not best snowfall of the season (Dec 5th saw 2.4" imby and 3.4" at DTW, mostly all on grass). It does look to stay fairly "mild" tomorrow night, but Im sure we will FINALLY be able to shovel! Whats funny is both my parents and aunt bought really neat snowblowers this past Fall (my parents first ever), after so many years of heavy snow they figured its time. Now if only they could get to use them lol!!!

That is funny as I know 2 people that bought snowblowers and 1 guy who bought a John Deer with a plow on front. They all think they are the reason this winter has sucked so far. :lol:

Earlier today Alek mentioned about going from 50's to snow tomorrow and I said it must be pretty uncommon for Chicago to get a lot of snow a day after being in the 50's. I checked the records and since 1942, I can only find 3 storms of 6"+ that began within 24 hours after hitting 50 degrees. They are 3/29/54, 4/15-17/1961 and 3/24-26/1969. Several others were pretty close but either missed the snow or time requirement.

In case anyone is wondering, regarding the January 1967 blizzard, snow began approximately 30 hours after the temperature was 50 degrees.

Whats funny is both DTX and I think either MKE or LOT mentioned the long duration aspect of the snow, citing that snowfall totals may look a little less at the end from settling.

I think that was MKE. Settling and the wind will cause measuring issues. Winds are supposed to be gusts around 35mph, especially near the lake.

Earlier today Alek mentioned about going from 50's to snow tomorrow and I said it must be pretty uncommon for Chicago to get a lot of snow a day after being in the 50's. I checked the records and since 1942, I can only find 3 storms of 6"+ that began within 24 hours after hitting 50 degrees. They are 3/29/54, 4/15-17/1961 and 3/24-26/1969. Several others were pretty close but either missed the snow or time requirement.

In case anyone is wondering, regarding the January 1967 blizzard, snow began approximately 30 hours after the temperature was 50 degrees.

Damn...that's interesting..

When we bring up situations like that, the 11/30-12/1 storm of 2006 pops in my head. Granted it wasn't a day before, I believe we were quite warm two days before. I think near 60 on 11/29 here.

Wow, I'm diggin' this. Update from DVN...

.UPDATE...

MESOSCALE MODELS INCLUDING THE HRRR...NAM12...AND RUC ALL CONTINUE

TO SHOW A NARROW BAND OF MUCH STRONGER FORCING ALIGNED ALONG THE

MISSISSIPPI RIVER DURING THE 10Z TO 20Z PERIOD THURSDAY. OUR BROAD

ADVISORY STILL LOOKS VERY MUCH ON TRACK WITH A WIDESPREAD 3 TO 5

INCH SNOWFALL EVENT...WITH PLENTY OF WIND/CONSIDERABLE DRIFTING

ISSUES EXPECTED. I HAVE HIGHLIGHTED THE EXPECTED MORE INTENSE BAND

IN OUR WSW PRODUCTS ON THE LATEST UPDATE...AS SHOULD THIS

VERIFY...A NARROW AXIS OF WARNING CRITERIA SNOWFALL OF 5 TO 8

INCHES IS POSSIBLE WITHIN 30 MILES EITHER SIDE OF THE MISSISSIPPI

RIVER FROM GENERALLY THE QUAD CITIES METRO AREA TO DUBUQUE. AN

UPGRADE TO WARNING IS POSSIBLE LATER THIS EVENING IF UPPER AIR

DATA AND NEW 00Z MODEL DATA SHOW THIS SIMILAR

SIGNATURE...INCREASING CONFIDENCE ON THE EXACT LOCATION OF WHAT IS

ALREADY BEING DESCRIBED AS...LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE...IN

OUR PRODUCTS.

..ERVIN..

When we bring up situations like that, the 11/30-12/1 storm of 2006 pops in my head. Granted it wasn't a day before, I believe we were quite warm two days before. I think near 60 on 11/29 here.

Yeah I checked that one out. High at ORD was 60 and snow started about 29 hours after being at 50.

Wow, I'm diggin' this. Update from DVN...

.UPDATE...

MESOSCALE MODELS INCLUDING THE HRRR...NAM12...AND RUC ALL CONTINUE

TO SHOW A NARROW BAND OF MUCH STRONGER FORCING ALIGNED ALONG THE

MISSISSIPPI RIVER DURING THE 10Z TO 20Z PERIOD THURSDAY. OUR BROAD

ADVISORY STILL LOOKS VERY MUCH ON TRACK WITH A WIDESPREAD 3 TO 5

INCH SNOWFALL EVENT...WITH PLENTY OF WIND/CONSIDERABLE DRIFTING

ISSUES EXPECTED. I HAVE HIGHLIGHTED THE EXPECTED MORE INTENSE BAND

IN OUR WSW PRODUCTS ON THE LATEST UPDATE...AS SHOULD THIS

VERIFY...A NARROW AXIS OF WARNING CRITERIA SNOWFALL OF 5 TO 8

INCHES IS POSSIBLE WITHIN 30 MILES EITHER SIDE OF THE MISSISSIPPI

RIVER FROM GENERALLY THE QUAD CITIES METRO AREA TO DUBUQUE. AN

UPGRADE TO WARNING IS POSSIBLE LATER THIS EVENING IF UPPER AIR

DATA AND NEW 00Z MODEL DATA SHOW THIS SIMILAR

SIGNATURE...INCREASING CONFIDENCE ON THE EXACT LOCATION OF WHAT IS

ALREADY BEING DESCRIBED AS...LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE...IN

OUR PRODUCTS.

..ERVIN..

Yep the NAM shows the narrow area of higher Snows nicely near the QC...

nam_namer_036_precip_p36.gif

Archived