joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thursday/Friday the 13th Clipper

burgertime

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RNK gives me a chance of snow showers for about the 10th times this winter (I've had 3 flakes so far) So not expecting anything. Hope all ya'll get some action!

THURSDAY NIGHT...A CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS IN THE EVENING. MOSTLY

CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS. LITTLE OR NO SNOW

ACCUMULATION. COOLER WITH LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S. SOUTHWEST WINDS

AROUND 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH...BECOMING WEST 15 TO

20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION 50 PERCENT.

.FRIDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS IN THE

MORNING. MUCH COOLER WITH HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. WEST WINDS 10 TO

15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 20 PERCENT

Not trying to get things stirred up about GSP and not saying anything bad about them but yet this year has caught people off guard without warning. just saying that there has been evidence to issue at least a WWA for the TN boarder county ans was not until the ground was white. Yes that caught people off guard that only watch the local news and not to mention some of the accidents that occurred because of the number of people out on the roads. But yes GSP generally does a good job.

I remember, fondly, a couple years ago GSP made the "Not gonna shoot till we see the whites of their eyes" comment in one of their AFDs. They're the best in the business. No mistaking that. :)

YES, dead on Peach and will never forget that line, think it was Isohume??

Best around and even they miss occasionally. Nowadays its better to adjust up rather than disappoint a bunch of weenies like us imo!

I've seen GSP be right more times then they are wrong. In fact last year they nailed pretty much every storm. They are not going issue a WWA or WSW or anything else unless it's warranted and right now it simply is not warranted.

yes, they are one of the best offices. i am very happy that i am in their cwa :) not sure why ffc went ahead and issued one this far in advance. esp with such low props they have in the forecast.

i just hope that if anything materializes, it comes to mby from the sw lol. otherwise the dreaded downslope with take away the flakes for ne ga

If there's one thing I've learned in my life, it's that one should NEVER put their hopes in a Clipper System if they live east of the Appalachians. :gun_bandana::snowman:

that is for sure! east of teh apps are usually dry slotted, unless you happen to be in the very narrow band by where the center tracks

IMO This storm is very similar to the January 2010 system that moved through North GA ...

A very large and significant difference between that scenario and this one- the preceding airmass in 2010 was much colder, the 540 line was south of ATL ahead of the system back then so the precip with the front was snow. In this case the only snow in north GA will be behind the front so I doubt seriously the ATL metro has more than flurries.

This is true, and I know it well, but I will keep my flashlight and black construction paper ready just in case :lol:

As will I! :)

Might as well say south of 40. And no i don't mean I-40, i mean 40N.

Well, when I lived up near Charleston, WV a few years back, we got plenty of Clipper action since we were on the western side of the mountains. However, we would generally get a dusting while the higher elevations in the mountains east of us got a foot. :(

But it can happen:

accum.20101204.gif

I totally agree but we had the same thing happen back in Jan 2000 before the epic storm.Put down around 6 in if memory serrves me correctly.I do rememer the meterologist saying it would have been more but the clipper was moving quick.

I agree that it has and can happen. But, nine out of 10 times (or more), clippers are failures for the Southeast. Most Clipper systems tend to get all their moisture wringed out while crossing the Appalachians.

A very large and significant difference between that scenario and this one- the preceding airmass in 2010 was much colder, the 540 line was south of ATL ahead of the system back then so the precip with the front was snow. In this case the only snow in north GA will be behind the front so I doubt seriously the ATL metro has more than flurries.

It may have been slightly colder but if I remember correctly temps shot up to the upper 40s/lower 50s ahead of that system. I remember here we had a steady light rain for a good while before the switch, The main problems was not so much the snow but the instant flash freezing that took place on the bridges and roads that took everyone off gaurd. Yea I don't know about more than a dusting anywhere outside the mountains for snow totals but I do think that this could be a problem with icy weather by Thursday night.

I've seen this song and dance before......I just can't get that excited with wrap around moisture, but the way we're going this winter, I guess anything wiil do. Kind of sad that there is a separate thread for this "event".

I've seen this song and dance before......I just can't get that excited with wrap around moisture, but the way we're going this winter, I guess anything wiil do. Kind of sad that there is a separate thread for this "event".

Don't want to go off topic but even the last two winters threads were made for small threats.

1. This is an event. Where else would you like for us to post at?

2. Why would you get excited? If you are not excited about seeing some flakes then of course you would not.

3. Obviously this is not a typical wrap around event......

1. This is an event. Where else would you like for us to post at?

2. Why would you get excited? If you are not excited about seeing some flakes then of course you would not.

3. Obviously this is not a typical wrap around event......

who cares if we have ten threads, if you don't want to post in it or look at it then don't. Sound like a bunch of kids arguing over silly things. Good job burger maybe we will be surprised when it comes. This is not to you ams30721, it was to audio. Seems when no wintry weather all people want to do is complain about something. Start all the threads you want if mods don't like them they will delete them.

Archived