joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thursday/Friday the 13th Clipper

burgertime

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the GFS has a very strong vort rounding the base tomorrow night into early Friday. the cold advection at 850 is extremely impressive, with some very fast temp drops as the cold sling shots into Ga and the Apps overnight. To me it looks good for central Tn to get a quick inch eastward to eastern TN, where it should last longer, then upslope. Also northern Alabama and northern GA mtns into early Friday morning. The usual downslope east of the mountains.

post-38-0-96352800-1326341027.gif

post-38-0-15592900-1326341043.gif

post-38-0-86064200-1326341047.gif

I know they close 441 through the Smoky Mountains at the drop of a hat - but if you're willing to brave a 7 mile hike each way you can get to Newfound Gap through the Sugarland trail.

If you're in East TN and don't want to stay where you are, I'd recommend the higher areas near Wise and Abingdon, VA. I know of several good spots up there that have seen significant snow from upslope events.

Good mention. Wise always does great in upslope, even better than many areas nearly twice it's elevation in the smokies. The official observing station there is @ 2670 ft..

Wise received 4" from the last event. Norton (ele; 2150ft), just a few miles to the SW received 6.5 inches. It was under a heavy long lasting snow streak of which boosted the total there. High Knob (highest point in Wise,Co @ 4223 ft).) received 10". Here's a link from a an excellent site covering the area a buddy of mine owns that covers snow events up there, of which has many pics. :

www.highknoblandform.com

Incidentally, Wise holds the official State Seasonal Snowfall Record; 124.5 " set in 1995-96.

The clipper Sat Night/Sun looks pretty healthy but so far doesn't have much qpf in the models. That may tick upward some, and the track could shift either north or southsome , but rougly from Ill, In, Ky, north and east TN and the mtns of sw Va and west NC. Once east of the mountains usually they dry up completely, but some can drop some snow esp. northern and central NC.

The clipper Sat Night/Sun looks pretty healthy but so far doesn't have much qpf in the models. That may tick upward some, and the track could shift either north or southsome , but rougly from Ill, In, Ky, north and east TN and the mtns of sw Va and west NC. Once east of the mountains usually they dry up completely, but some can drop some snow esp. northern and central NC.

Have not been able to look at the models but things looking good for some light upslope for Sat night? Also i have been noticing these upslope event the models really do not grab hold until about 24 hours before it is suppose to happen. I don't no if this is usual or if this is a trend.

We have about 1-1.5 inches here in Tulsa!!! Beautiful big snowflakes...sticking to everything!! It's the perfect snow to make snow ice cream, snowangels, and snowballs!! I am a VERY happy girl!!! If we were only supposed to get a trace, you people up in the midwest and southeast are in for a surprise!

We have about 1-1.5 inches here in Tulsa!!! Beautiful big snowflakes...sticking to everything!! It's the perfect snow to make snow ice cream, snowangels, and snowballs!! I am a VERY happy girl!!! If we were only supposed to get a trace, you people up in the midwest and southeast are in for a surprise!

If it weren't for the dreaded downslope, I might be excited. Some of the others might be and I'm happy for them...but my location is just not a good place for this kind of event. Enjoy it!! :)

If it weren't for the dreaded downslope, I might be excited. Some of the others might be and I'm happy for them...but my location is just not a good place for this kind of event. Enjoy it!! :)

The 0z models are showing a little more moisture for the upstate, nothing major but id say some of us get a snow shower late thursday!

The 0z models are showing a little more moisture for the upstate, nothing major but id say some of us get a snow shower late thursday!

I saw that and, for a second, got a wee bit excited until....I remembered that a true NWly flow will scour everything out over my head. Never fails. Snow showers in your location (in relation to the Mtns) means, more often that not, stars and big fluffy clouds in mine. :(

With the more westerly flow (as oppossed to NW) we should see some locations picking up more than snowfall the "ususal suspects" when NW flow is in play. I have noticed during the more westerly favored setups places further south in our county (Jackson) do much better than normal as the moisture "sneaks" through the favored ranges and makes it into towns such as Cashiers, Highlands, Lake Toxaway, where typically flurries to a trace is all they can sneak out from a NW flow.

Very excited about seeing snow falling once again. :snowing: If this is the season of NW flow and fast moving clippers then that is fine by me (even though it seems rather normal when compared to the past 10 yrs).

With the more westerly flow (as oppossed to NW) we should see some locations picking up more than snowfall the "ususal suspects" when NW flow is in play. I have noticed during the more westerly favored setups places further south in our county (Jackson) do much better than normal as the moisture "sneaks" through the favored ranges and makes it into towns such as Cashiers, Highlands, Lake Toxaway, where typically flurries to a trace is all they can sneak out from a NW flow.

Very excited about seeing snow falling once again. :snowing: If this is the season of NW flow and fast moving clippers then that is fine by me (even though it seems rather normal when compared to the past 10 yrs).

Bad news for me! The more W the less snow here. :cry:

With the more westerly flow (as oppossed to NW) we should see some locations picking up more than snowfall the "ususal suspects" when NW flow is in play.

Yea, I suspect we're in for a decent little cover tonight, nothing like last year's of course, but probably enough to sled on at least. These westerlies can be a bit of fun, and the temp gradient will make for a rapid switch.

-b

whats crazy is during these small snow events the nws always starts out with wwa for most everyone except buncombe county and then later on in the afternoon they tend to add buncombe county to the wwa. you would think by now they know buncombe always gets enough snow out of these to cover the ground and make the roads slick.

This reminds me of the fizzled flizzard a couple of years ago where a meso low warmed everyone up through the 40's to near 50 in central NC and it was goodbye clipper snow. Of course the meteorology isn't the same here but the general message is don't pin hopes on clippers in NC outside the mountains!

To my Georgia folks keep an eye on the radar. The hi-res models show development later today farther south. This is what we will have to see happen if we want some snowflakes. The current precip on the radar is too far north and too close to the front edge of the cold air to benefit us. But don't worry models continue to show development of precip farther south, let's just hope it verifies.

To my Georgia folks keep an eye on the radar. The hi-res models show development later today farther south. This is what we will have to see happen if we want some snowflakes. The current precip on the radar is too far north and too close to the front edge of the cold air to benefit us. But don't worry models continue to show development of precip farther south, let's just hope it verifies.

Yall including us in SW NC will not really see much action from the front in terms of snow, however as Foothills mentioned the vort lobe swinging in this evening/tonight will be what lays down the snow, or perhaps just falling for you. So marginal its hard to determine how much N GA can squeeze out. Of course you have this thought captured, I was just reiterating (sp) it.

12z GFS still shows flurries possible for the far northern counties of GA. Personally the 850mb moisture isn't very good outside the mountains so I don't think the snow reports will be as widespread as our last flurry event a few weeks ago.

I still think someone in TN will report 1" and the WNC highcountry will get 1-4". Also an isolated 1" report from some high place in GA wouldn't surprise me either.

post-347-0-82203000-1326383974.gif

post-347-0-78089800-1326383979.gif

12z GFS still shows flurries possible for the far northern counties of GA. Personally the 850mb moisture isn't very good outside the mountains so I don't think the snow reports will be as widespread as our last flurry event a few weeks ago.

I still think someone in TN will report 1" and the WNC highcountry will get 1-4". Also an isolated 1" report from some high place in GA wouldn't surprise me either.

its not looking good for ne ga (rabun and esp habersham). the models all show this area dry (downsloping) for the most part, with any flakes staying about one county away. i was hoping the RUC would give us a little hope today but so far nada :angry:

its not looking good for ne ga (rabun and esp habersham). the models all show this area dry (downsloping) for the most part, with any flakes staying about one county away. i was hoping the RUC would give us a little hope today but so far nada :angry:

I'm hoping we eek out a dusting over here in White Co. We'll see how that goes.

I was hoping here in Rabun would get some too...

Archived