amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Thursday/Friday the 13th Clipper

burgertime

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually it's Clayton/Mountain City/Dillard/Sky Valley...just 6 miles more south is all I'm asking for...And I'll try to blow some down to you!

16 miles south please lol. sounds like you are in a more downsloped area too. its really frustrating to be able to see the snow showers falling less than 5-10 miles from mby and yet over head the stars are out :( so i can certainly understand the feeling of frustrating lol

16 miles south please lol. sounds like you are in a more downsloped area too. its really frustrating to be able to see the snow showers falling less than 5-10 miles from mby and yet over head the stars are out :( so i can certainly understand the feeling of frustrating lol

Frustrating is the word for it....The kids call home from town and say how pretty it is at times! Hopefully this will overperform a little and give me and you something to see....On the other hand, there's times where I get stuff and it's more than those north of me, so hey give a little, take a little!

Frustrating is the word for it....The kids call home from town and say how pretty it is at times! Hopefully this will overperform a little and give me and you something to see....On the other hand, there's times where I get stuff and it's more than those north of me, so hey give a little, take a little!

This may have been posted but I can't recall.

http://www.srh.noaa....c/?n=snow172010

^that system was similar to this one and it really overperformed. Went in expecting just flurries/showers and ended up with an 1-3" and a pretty big mess. Not saying at all that I expect this or something similar to happen, just an observation.

I'm not liking what I'm seeing for Georgia. I think the upslope on the NC/TN border looks to be nice and healthy, also some scattered snow showers in parts of TN also look good, but once you cross the TN/GA border that's where I'm not feeling it. If you look at the short range and hi-res models they just don't show much outside the first row of counties in north Georgia, even there it's going to be tough to squeeze out much. That said I'm fearing I may not even see more than a flake or two tonight imby.

Snowshowers developing across the Memphis/Nrn Miss area and moving into NW Alabama now..

MEM:

mem210.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

fl210.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am also very worried about some Flash Freezing also here in NW GA. We are still really soaked from the 1.5"+ of rainfall yesterday. We have been getting some drizzle all morning and now Scattered Steady Light rain has moved in again. Temps expected to be below freezing by 7pm or so this evening so thing black ice will be a big concern even if we do not see any snowshowers though I think we will.

As far as TN goes, it's been snowing in Memphis, Jackson, and now Nashville. The freezing line is working it's way towards Knoxville as we speak by late this afternoon or this evening. The regional forecast has us at up to 2", local forecast is up to 1". I'm about 400' higher than most of the city so we'll see what happens.

How? What was it supposed to be like in N. GA besides the extreme northern counties??

IDK, I thought I might have a good shot to see an inch if I drove the hill in pickens county above 3k feet. Still might but the models have backed off, even though they didnt show a whole hell of alot to begin with.

reckon being in the tri-cities on business wasnt a bad idea afterall. Looking forward to seeing my first decent flakeage in almost 2 years tonight. bring it (whatever it my be)

Will be interesting to see what we can get to develop and hold together behind the arctic front.

From Johnson City here. If you know you are going be up this way you should let someone know. We could roll out the red carpet for you. haha.

They aren't getting any right now. They usually close ahead of time due to tourists.

Like I said, they close 441 at the drop of a hat because tourists can't drive it in dry/sunny weather.

Back when I was in college at UT, me and a friend decided to go to the mountains one night. It had just snowed pretty good, even for the mountains. Normally they close the Newfound Gap road or at least require chains. Not this night. So off we go up the mountain in my VW Karman Ghia. Absolutely the most snow I've ever seen, you couldn't tell where the trees started, it was all what, everything. We got up to the top to the Newfound Gap parking lot and they had plowed the snow into huge drifts. So I proceeded to drive at a 45 degree angle on the compacted snow banks.

I can't believe they even had it open. We saw no one while we were up there. Great memories.

Sorry... off track!

They aren't getting any right now. They usually close ahead of time due to tourists.

Like I said, they close 441 at the drop of a hat because tourists can't drive it in dry/sunny weather.

right, I was just re posting verbatim. That 850 freezing line is not far out though, may be an hour or so till they see it falling. They are always the 1st to see wintry precip when comparing to other locations across the Apps.

post-1288-0-36137600-1326400573.gif

Back when I was in college at UT, me and a friend decided to go to the mountains one night. It had just snowed pretty good, even for the mountains. Normally they close the Newfound Gap road or at least require chains. Not this night. So off we go up the mountain in my VW Karman Ghia. Absolutely the most snow I've ever seen, you couldn't tell where the trees started, it was all what, everything. We got up to the top to the Newfound Gap parking lot and they had plowed the snow into huge drifts. So I proceeded to drive at a 45 degree angle on the compacted snow banks.

I can't believe they even had it open. We saw no one while we were up there. Great memories.

Sorry... off track!

Or perhaps its the best track! Before 7:30am during late Fall they dont close the Pkwy even when media outlets scream snow (they usually close days ahead). They sometimes have asked me to leave as they are waiting for me to leave the pkwy to close it.

I'm not liking what I'm seeing for Georgia. I think the upslope on the NC/TN border looks to be nice and healthy, also some scattered snow showers in parts of TN also look good, but once you cross the TN/GA border that's where I'm not feeling it. If you look at the short range and hi-res models they just don't show much outside the first row of counties in north Georgia, even there it's going to be tough to squeeze out much. That said I'm fearing I may not even see more than a flake or two tonight imby.

I think we will see flakes- the hi-res models are pretty adamant, at least north of perimeter....

Or perhaps its the best track! Before 7:30am during late Fall they dont close the Pkwy even when media outlets scream snow (they usually close days ahead). They sometimes have asked me to leave as they are waiting for me to leave the pkwy to close it.

I got thru there one day just as they were closing the gate. Snow was coming down hard in Cherokee. Had to take the long way back from gatlinburg to get home

I think we will see flakes- the hi-res models are pretty adamant, at least north of perimeter....

That's nice to hear! The last time I saw a couple sand sized flakes and was not impressed. I hope I do better this time. What I worry about on the hi-res which I have not seen the 12Z runs, I did look at the RUC, is that the moisture is just not going to be enough to squeeze out anything more than a flurry or two, at least where I am in Marietta. I would love a quick snow shower but I fear that's asking too much.

as for OBS :

Skies are trying to clear and there have been a few hefty gusts over the last few minutes. It think the leading edge of the cold air is knocking on my door.

Two shots at some flurries!!!

TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS THIS EVENING...

THEN A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT. LITTLE OR NO SNOW

ACCUMULATION. COOLER WITH LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S. WEST WINDS 15 TO

20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION

50 PERCENT.

.FRIDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. MUCH COOLER WITH HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S.

WEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR IN THE EVENING...THEN BECOMING

PARTLY CLOUDY. COLD WITH LOWS AROUND 20. WEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH

IN THE EVENING...BECOMING LIGHT AND VARIABLE.

.SATURDAY...SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. WEST WINDS AROUND

10 MPH.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE EVENING...THEN MOSTLY

CLOUDY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE

MID 20S. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF SNOW 20 PERCENT.

.SUNDAY...PARTLY SUNNY IN THE MORNING...THEN CLEARING. HIGHS IN

THE LOWER 40S.

Temp starting to drop pretty fast and steadily now.

FFC says transition will occur quicker than originally thought which could be beneficial if we get the moisture.

.SHORT TERM /TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY/... SURFACE LOW PRESSURE HAS TRANSITIONED OVER THE GREAT LAKES REGION TODAY...AND ASSOCIATED COLD FRONT IS PUSHING THROUGH ALABAMA THIS AFTERNOON. THIS BOUNDARY IS PROGGED TO SWEEP THROUGH THE STATE THIS EVENING...BRINGING MUCH DRIER AND COOLER CONDITIONS TO THE AREA. MEANWHILE...AHEAD OF THE FRONT...REMAINING MOISTURE OVER NORTH GEORGIA...COMBINED WITH THE GULF MOISTURE USHERED IN BY THE SOUTHERLY FLOW...WILL SUPPORT LIGHT RAIN SHOWERS TO CONTINUE ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA. AS COLDER TEMPERATURES ENTER THE STATE AS A RESULT OF THE COLD FRONT...EXPECT A TRANSITION FROM RAIN TO SNOW ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA. LATEST MODEL SOLUTIONS ARE A LITTLE FASTER WITH THE TRANSITION THAN THE PREVIOUS RUNS...AND HAVE OPTED TO START THE ADVISORY A LITTLE EARLIER AT 22Z THIS AFTERNOON. OVERALL...EXPECTING ACCUMULATIONS TO BE LESS THAN 1 INCH...WITH THE GREATEST ACCUMULATIONS IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS. WITH WARM SURFACE TEMPERATURES...MOST OF THE ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE ON THE ELEVATED SURFACES.

Archived