amirah5
January storm threat discussion #2

Ian

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the gfs and ens have been horrible with the mjo stick with the euro

post-4-0-98701200-1327501888.gif

True, GEFS are lower resoloution I believe?? Since December I've been expecting this MJO 'push', based on my solar forcing+internal response hypothesis, and I do think the GEFS will at least be partially right.

The trend today is not bad either...I'll bias toward the GEFS for now :P

ensplume_small.gif

The models are of little use outside 3-4 days. The pattern is too fast. Hopefully we can time one of these transient PNA spikes at some point.

Boy you aren't kidding. LR confidence in very low right now. We can't get the flow to buckle and slow down at all. Makes it fun to some extent. I've only been looking past day 5 for the big features and even those are moving all over the place every 12 hours.

One thing that the gfs and euro seem to sorta agree on is a pretty darn big ridge out west at some point during early feb. maybe we can get something in the ns to dig underneath us. psuhoffman redux?

Boy you aren't kidding. LR confidence in very low right now. We can't get the flow to buckle and slow down at all. Makes it fun to some extent. I've only been looking past day 5 for the big features and even those are moving all over the place every 12 hours.

One thing that the gfs and euro seem to sorta agree on is a pretty darn big ridge out west at some point during early feb. maybe we can get something in the ns to dig underneath us. psuhoffman redux?

They do, but the ridge is transient. I don't think these pNa spikes when the Epo is positive have any stability. I'd like to see a block somewhere over alaska and/or western Canada. But I don't think the models will be of much use with a minor event outside a few days so we can keep hoping.

They do, but the ridge is transient. I don't think these pNa spikes when the Epo is positive have any stability. I'd like to see a block somewhere over alaska and/or western Canada. But I don't think the models will be of much use with a minor event outside a few days so we can keep hoping.

Matt, Will has a nice thread going in the NE forum. Good read about the PNA and EPO.

Agreed, I don't expect any significant ec trough to have staying power past 3 days or so. Even if we did have two minor snow events during early Feb there is probably a 100% chance that there would be a rain event in between.

I think the only chance (and probably a slim one at that) for a decent event of 3-6"+ would come from a strong ns 500 vort that follows a day or 2 after a strong cold front or potentially getting lucky with some energy hanging back and riding up along the ec if the trough axis doesn't set up too far east. The proverbial needle threading.

Yeah and not much to look at in the LR next week. Caveat is that the models have had their issues more than 3 days out so watch next week pop a bomb.

Adam is still tweeting about a temporary pattern change in the East with threats of wintery precip through Feb 10th (after a big ridge builds out west around Feb 5)

SPC highlighting a severe threat for southern VA tonight... I think the mid-level lapse rates (and virtually no CAPE) are going to kill most of the severe weather possibilities, but there are some decent dynamics associated with this system.

day1probotlk_20120126_1300_torn_prt.gif

day1probotlk_20120126_1300_wind_prt.gif

...CAROLINAS/SRN VA EARLY FRI...

MODERATE TO STRONG FORCING FOR ASCENT ASSOCIATED WITH PHASING UPR

TROUGH WILL OVERSPREAD ZONE OF RAPID LOW LVL MOISTENING ALONG THE

ERN SLOPES OF THE SRN APPALACHIANS EARLY FRI. AT THE SAME

TIME...LOW TO MID LVL FLOW WILL SUBSTANTIALLY INCREASE...WITH 850 MB

SSWLY WINDS INCREASING TO AOA 60 KTS. THIS SETUP MAY SUPPORT

REJUVENATION OF EXISTING BANDS OF STORMS CROSSING THE SRN

APPALACHIANS FROM THE TN VLY...AND/OR NEW DEVELOPMENT ALONG LEE

TROUGH JUST E OF THE MOUNTAINS. VERY STRONG LOW LVL FLOW/SHEAR

SUGGEST A CONDITIONAL THREAT OR BOTH DMGG WIND AND TORNADOES WITH

ANY SUSTAINED STORMS THAT DO FORM.

Adam is still tweeting about a temporary pattern change in the East with threats of wintery precip through Feb 10th (after a big ridge builds out west around Feb 5)

I hope it pans out but 10-14 day range has not been the models strong suit so far this winter. Lots of flip flopping. Our sigs are a perfect example of that. A W ridge/ E trough is something we havent seen too much of so far so fingers crossed.

Yeah, it's starting to feel like the first half of February is being taken off the table, and that we are going to need the second half of February and first half of March to get going.

This putting off ""getting things going"" is old and probably not going to work. Im for early spring , winrer has dissappointed. Let it go. Continued cold eith no snow is boring. Storm tracks dont favor us this year.

Archived