• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January storm threat discussion #2

Ian

I don't think there is much wish casting in this forum but maybe I am just ignoring it. I think for the most part there is a good understanding of the challenges we face in getting snow.

not institutional no.. but then there are stretches where everyone's like "hey if it's not going to snow i'll be extra positive till it does". that's basically the same thing for discussion. i don't necessarily mind, it's easy enough to ignore. but if on the flipside we have this "don't say anything negative unless you're wes" argument.. it's a bit trickier. i have gotten at least a sense that reaching is a bit more acceptable this winter than in a more productive one as well. maybe that's imagined.. who knows. im not really that frustrated with anything other than i have never really liked attempts to stifle discussion with one side dominating over the other. i don't think me posting that avgs are going up (super slowly for the next 2-3 weeks) really detracts from convo that much or hurts anyone who has to read it. if yoda thinks a storm is not worth watching because the green doesnt get past the blue line over the area then he deservers the talking to not everyone who is overly cautious.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there is much wish casting in this forum but maybe I am just ignoring it. I think for the most part there is a good understanding of the challenges we face in getting snow.

I toured the various subforums north of us today. The MA forum isn't bad at all. I don't think wishcasting here is out of control at all. Quite the contrary. And I don't think there is anything wrong with discussing how it could possibly snow even when the odds are against it. Talking about snow in the winter is why most of us join these forums in the first place.

BBs snow prediction will save us all, don't worry folks... our 30 inches are coming!

Or we can listen to am19psu who has been tweeting the last few days about "Feb 5th as the start of a wintry period in the East, at least relative to the rest of winter"

...though we all know how his torch call worked out.....

I don't know if you saw the facebook post from DT early last week, talking about this week's torch. He was posting about how the GFS and Euro were both showing temps in the 60s (and even 70s for North Carolina and Virginia) at least one day this week. To be fair, he was only commenting on model runs (and not making a forecast), but it does go to show how awful the models have been this winter (seems like we say that every winter). You're really taking your chances looking at the models out beyond a couple of days. (Richmond did hit the mid-60s today, but they're back to the 50s tomorrow, and we're back to the 40s. Not that unusual or noteworthy to get a day with those types of temps this time of year.)

I'm more interested in the period than any discrete threat. That doesn't mean we'll get anything in the Saturday-wednesday period. But I don't think the models really have a clue after day 4 or so, so I am skeptical about these breakdowns of the pattern and that our window is only a few days. It's possible we get something minor when the pattern is supposedly "reloading". This waiting game for a good pattern is a fools errand and really no better IMO than "wish casting" a small threat. We may never get a good pattern to lock in all winter. We are going to have to time something and get a little luck and no better time than in our climo's wheelhouse of the next 3 weeks. The pattern is lightning fast now and super changeable. There are cold fronts coming through every 3/4 days. The models are at the lower range of their skill and even the best mid rangers on this board are flummoxed by the next few weeks. I've gotten accumulating snow in the upcoming 3 week period 8 out of the last 9 winters. I have gotten a 3"+ storm 13/13 winters since I moved to DC proper in 1998 and a 4"+ 12/13.

Good post. I think this pretty accurately summarizes what we are looking at over the next 3 weeks in a realistic (non-weenie) way. A good pattern is probably not going to lock in, but we have had plenty of moisture and cold front passages (even within our current "torch", as you accurately posted last week would happen). This time of year, we don't need it to be super cold - just some marginal cold, and a semi-reasonable track of a small wave or clipper to drop 2-3" of snow. We just need to keep expectations in check, and not try to create a big snowstorm out of a pattern that simply doesn't support it. I know I'll be happy with some clipper action, or maybe an event that drops 2-4" of snow (preferably during the day so I can enjoy it).

I was just thinking that. Usually, we're counting on a phase to give us a storm, and those don't seem to ever happen. Of course, this will be the one time where we do get the phase...

I could wait for the GFS to run, but I won't. There seems to be more signs pointing to a storm than against. It may very well be a rainstorm, but it would seem that the Euro is on its own this time. The latest SREFS, which don't go out far enough, would imply low pressure somewhere in the southeast/southeast coast early Sat morning. The NAM, which at 12z looked as if it would go the Euro route and have the southern energy get swept up by the northern stream, now looks like it is trying to leave it behind a bit. It's dumb of me to say that time will tell, but it really will. I still think we have a shot at this. Either that or the Euro is getting ready for a rout.

I toured the various subforums north of us today. The MA forum isn't bad at all. I don't think wishcasting here is out of control at all. Quite the contrary. And I don't think there is anything wrong with discussing how it could possibly snow even when the odds are against it. Talking about snow in the winter is why most of us join these forums in the first place.

Well put Bob.

Good post. I think this pretty accurately summarizes what we are looking at over the next 3 weeks in a realistic (non-weenie) way. A good pattern is probably not going to lock in, but we have had plenty of moisture and cold front passages (even within our current "torch", as you accurately posted last week would happen). This time of year, we don't need it to be super cold - just some marginal cold, and a semi-reasonable track of a small wave or clipper to drop 2-3" of snow. We just need to keep expectations in check, and not try to create a big snowstorm out of a pattern that simply doesn't support it. I know I'll be happy with some clipper action, or maybe an event that drops 2-4" of snow (preferably during the day so I can enjoy it).

I know what you're saying, but in my view, 2-4 is a good snow.

From HPC

THE 12Z GFS IS NEARLY AN OUTLIER WITH ITS HANDLING OF THE

SPLIT-FLOW PATTERN FROM THE PLAINS EASTWARD ON DAY 3...WITH

SUPPORTING SOLUTIONS ONLY PROVIDED BY ITS OWN ENSEMBLE MEAN AND

THE NAM CONUSNEST. LOW LATITUDE CLOSED LOWS ARE NOTORIOUS FOR

EJECTING SLOWER THAN DEPICTED BY GUIDANCE OWING IN PART TO LARGER

INITIALIZATION ERRORS INHERENT OUTSIDE OF THE MORE DATA-RICH CONUS

REGION. GIVEN THE SMALL SIZE OF THE LOW...ERRORS MAY INDEED BE

QUITE SIGNIFICANT EARLY ON. THIS IS CONFIRMED...AT LEAST IN

THEORY...BY THE 4 KM NAM CONUSNEST WHICH SHOULD BE MORE CAPABLE OF

RESOLVING ITS SMALL STRUCTURE AND SUPPORTS THE GFS.

NEVERTHELESS...WILL WEIGHT THIS SCENARIO ONLY MINIMALLY INTO THE

FINAL PROGS. OTHERWISE...EARLY GLANCE AT THE 12Z ECMWF SHOWS THAT

IS HAS SLOWED ITS ARRIVAL OF A SHORTWAVE TROUGH INTO THE PACIFIC

NORTHWEST AROUND DAY 5 BY SIX TO TWELVE HRS FROM ITS PRIOR

RUN...WHICH ADDS CONFIDENCE TO DEPICT A SLOWER SOLUTION WHICH WAS

ALREADY ADDRESSED DURING THE MORNING ISSUANCE.

From LWX

LOW CONFIDENCE FORECAST OVER THE WEEKEND WITH MUCH DIFFERENT MODEL

SCENARIOS. GFS PATTERN INDICATES CLOSED UPPER LOW OVER THE SERN

US...WHICH WOULD RESULT IN LOWPRES DVLPG OVER THE MID-ATLANTIC

STATES AND POTENTIAL WET WEATHER OVER PORTIONS OF THE REGION. NO

CUTOFF LOW ON THE ECMWF...WITH GENERALLY DRY WEATHER EXCEPT FOR

POSSIBLE LIGHT PRECIP FROM A COUPLE OF CLIPPER SYSTEMS.

I found those to be interesting statements.

we might need even need a coastal..we may get snow from the upper level energy on Sunday..models keep advertising it....it probably wouldnt amount to much

That would be northern stream energy which rarely works... but...we can hope. The 264 hr GFS has the perfect combo for getting a snowstorm. Some type of low up near nova scotia and a vort digging to our south. Too bad it's at 264 hrs and will be gone on the next run but if I saw that pattern on a day 3 or 4 forecast, i'd be excited.

That would be northern stream energy which rarely works... but...we can hope. The 264 hr GFS has the perfect combo for getting a snowstorm. Some type of low up near nova scotia and a vort digging to our south. Too bad it's at 264 hrs and will be gone on the next run but if I saw that pattern on a day 3 or 4 forecast, i'd be excited.

I saw that too....Maybe our chances linger until the 5th or so....HM seems to think we warm again around that time....If we can't get anything this weekend, I'd gladly take 0.20" QPF running into a wedge again next week or some sort of mixed event.....The GFS ensembles and EURO ensembles still seem quite different with respect to the 7-10 day period as far as the PNA. and maybe that is just the transience of the pattern and we will need to time somthing......One thing the models all seem to agree on is a ridge over Newfoundland and obviously that is a bad feature to keep showing up

I don't know if you saw the facebook post from DT early last week, talking about this week's torch. He was posting about how the GFS and Euro were both showing temps in the 60s (and even 70s for North Carolina and Virginia) at least one day this week. To be fair, he was only commenting on model runs (and not making a forecast), but it does go to show how awful the models have been this winter (seems like we say that every winter). You're really taking your chances looking at the models out beyond a couple of days. (Richmond did hit the mid-60s today, but they're back to the 50s tomorrow, and we're back to the 40s. Not that unusual or noteworthy to get a day with those types of temps this time of year.)

Ever since DT banned me from his Facebook, I do not go back. But yes, he wasn't really making a forecast. am19psu was lol

Wes,

I was looking at the 00Z this morning and had what I believe you were saying at 288hr. Sure would be nice at day 3 or 4. Something like that is what I still believe we will get our 1 dump in this year. 1"in for my house and a long ways from the average. So in my mind it has to be 1 stop dump snowstorm. But what am I saying, this year is really sad..

be honest..should i give up on seeing a 4 inch snowstorm this year.

be honest..should i give up on seeing a 4 inch snowstorm this year.

I don't think you should give up simply because of past history. At this point in 08-09, I think it was a worse winter than this one. We had had virtually no snow, cold all the time, with nothing but frozen brown ground and wind to show for it. You guys further east ended up getting a good one in March, but we didn't get any back here from that one, and only had about a 2.5 snow, .5 ice on top event at the end of January. If it doesn't snow again, I'd still rate this winter better than that one.

I'd think in Feb/early March, a four inch storm could pop up at any time.

I don't think you should give up simply because of past history. At this point in 08-09, I think it was a worse winter than this one. We had had virtually no snow, cold all the time, with nothing but frozen brown ground and wind to show for it. You guys further east ended up getting a good one in March, but we didn't get any back here from that one, and only had about a 2.5 snow, .5 ice on top event at the end of January. If it doesn't snow again, I'd still rate this winter better than that one.

I'd think in Feb/early March, a four inch storm could pop up at any time.

yeah....since I moved back to DC after college I am 16/17 on 3" storms and that is in Alexandria, Downtown Silver Spring and NW DC so not the snowiest locales...That is a pretty good body of work....

Below are the winters I still didn't have a 3"+ storm at this point...hope is alive

1994-95

1996-97

1997-98 (none that winter, biggest was about 0.5")

1998-99

2000-01

2006-07

2008-09

2010-11

Archived