• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January storm threat discussion #2

Ian

This putting off ""getting things going"" is old and probably not going to work. Im for early spring , winrer has dissappointed. Let it go. Continued cold eith no snow is boring. Storm tracks dont favor us this year.

Definitely. However, February is historically our best month for snow in our region, so you have to believe (hope?) that we have a shot at something over the next 30 days. Of course, the other side to that coin is that average high temperatures increase from 44 degrees at the start of the month, reaching 50 degrees by the end.

Anyway, given how winter has gone to this point, even a moderate 2-3" snow event would be pretty remarkable. I guess we should just go ahead and start looking forward to severe weather season.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely. However, February is historically our best month for snow in our region, so you have to believe (hope?) that we have a shot at something over the next 30 days. Of course, the other side to that coin is that average high temperatures increase from 44 degrees at the start of the month, reaching 50 degrees by the end.

Anyway, given how winter has gone to this point, even a moderate 2-3" snow event would be pretty remarkable. I guess we should just go ahead and start looking forward to severe weather season.

most of thoe decent FEBs have been NINOs or neutrals with 2/96 being the glaring "recent" exception

71/72 we had didly until 2/72, so there's one other, but don't hold your breath

I understand and at least partly agree with your thinking. Optimism is always preferred. It would be nice to get another mild event, although thec possibility seems. To go down the longer it is delayed.Im for warmer weather not necessarily severe. My heating has neen very low this year so were almost done with the cold. Good comment on your part.

SPC taking their thoughts for tonight and extending it into tomorrow morning:

day2probotlk_20120126_1730_any_prt.gif

...ERN NC THROUGH MID ATLANTIC REGION...

STRONG 60+ KT SLY LLJ WILL DEVELOP NEWD INTO THE CAROLINAS AND MID

ATLANTIC REGION EARLY FRIDAY WITHIN ZONE OF ASCENT AND HEIGHT FALLS

DOWNSTREAM FROM THE EJECTING NEGATIVELY TILT UPPER TOUGH. A

RESERVOIR OF LOW 60S DEWPOINTS RESIDES OVER THE SERN STATES AND THE

GULF STREAM AREA SOUTH OF A WARM FRONT THAT EXTENDS FROM SRN AL

THROUGH SRN SC. THE LLJ WILL TRANSPORT THIS RICHER MOISTURE NWD

THROUGH ERN NC AND SERN VA THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING CONTRIBUTING TO

DESTABILIZATION. HOWEVER...INSTABILITY WILL LIKELY REMAIN MARGINAL

WITH MUCAPE GENERALLY AOB 500 J/KG DUE TO WEAK LAPSE RATES AND

LIMITED POTENTIAL FOR BOUNDARY LAYER WARMING. BANDS OF RELATIVELY

LOW TOPPED CONVECTION MAY CONTINUE DEVELOPING WITHIN PRE-FRONTAL

WARM CONVEYOR BELT WHERE DEEPER ASCENT DOWNSTREAM FROM EJECTING

UPPER TROUGH WILL PROMOTE MOIST PROFILES AND A WEAK CAP. LATEST

WRF-NMM4 SUGGESTS CONVECTION WILL WEAKEN AS THE ZONE OF DEEPER

ASCENT MOVES INTO THE ERN CAROLINAS AND ERN VA...MOST LIKELY DUE TO

LIMITED BUOYANCY WHICH COULD INDEED SERVE AS A LIMITING FACTOR.

NEVERTHELESS...CONVECTION WILL BE EMBEDDED WITHIN EFFECTIVE SHEAR

CONDITIONALLY SUPPORTIVE OF BOWING SEGMENTS AND ROTATING UPDRAFTS.

GIVEN STRENGTH OF LLJ WITHIN 1 KM OF THE SURFACE...SOME OF THE

ACTIVITY COULD REMAIN CAPABLE OF PRODUCING ISOLATED STRONG TO

DAMAGING WIND GUSTS AND POSSIBLY A TORNADO OR TWO BEFORE FRONTAL

PASSAGE BY LATE MORNING.

My SIL had a flock of robins singing in her backyard this morning. We have some daffodil shoots popping up here, with a ground that isn't frozen in the least. At this point, bring on spring.

Many robins around our area don't migrate anymore. It's a bit of an anachronism to say robins are a sign of spring.

We might just get a little snow tomorrow night. Each run of the NAM pushes the measureable precip further over the mtns. and the sim radar as a look much like Jan 7/8 last year had. That one was a quick burst of snow that put down about 1 inch or so across most places. I doubt this one does that, but it might just whiten the ground.

We might just get a little snow tomorrow night. Each run of the NAM pushes the measureable precip further over the mtns. and the sim radar as a look much like Jan 7/8 last year had. That one was a quick burst of snow that put down about 1 inch or so across most places. I doubt this one does that, but it might just whiten the ground.

File this post under hyper-mega-uber-overly optimistic. :snowing:

Sorry, it's all mine.

I wouldn't bet on it.

File this post under hyper-mega-uber-overly optimistic. :snowing:

Well...........

post-178-0-80070600-1327928316.jpg

Archived