amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January storm threat discussion #2

Ian

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frustrating that a model can't seen to hold a nice storm for a run before it pulls it away. Don't even have time to fantasize

Going off the 0z GFS ensemble mean, there is less spread among the individual members this run as well, and I'd imagine significantly less members show a good solution. Not surprising given the the Op run, the Euro/its ensembles, etc.

So we can't even use the "what about the ensembles!!!" line for this one anymore. :(;)

Frustrating that a model can't seen to hold a nice storm for a run before it pulls it away. Don't even have time to fantasize

focus on the good news:

850s are better

the storm is "right where we want it"

the euro and gfs are closer to aligning

early feb could be rockin' -- till we get closer at least

Not looking too good. Euro has nothing. GFS still has the tease, but fewer ensemble members look good today. HPC seems to have given in as well wrt the southern energy getting taken out faster. I guess the only positives is that both ens means seem to want to pump up the west coast ridge by day 10. Maybe we'll get lucky in there somewhere.

Here is that 'final push', right on scedule, that could have winter really unloading on us for most of February after the 7th of the month, with another period in March as MJO tries to get back into region 4 after looping from 7-3, before looping back into regions 1-3 again but missing region 8.

I feel MJO is progged too slow in week 2 on the GEFS but that the general looks is in the right ballpark.

ensplume_small.gif

The predicted SNOstorm for 1/24-1/26:

What will be right:

1. There will indeed be a strong storm, with heavy precipitation.

2. There will even be some brief snow/sleet at the onset, N&W.

3. IF, the cold air would have been in place, as it should have been we would be having our SECS.

What went wrong:

1. Could not overcome this awful pattern.

2. Cold air locked up too far away.

3. La Nina, 2nd year in row, don't bet against it.

I'm sorry for no snow...I wanted it as much as you did.

What will be right:

3. IF, the cold air would have been in place, as it should have been we would be having our SECS.

What went wrong:

No, I don't think large scale forcings favored a wintry regime until February, with a transitioning 'sneak peak' beforehand. What would have altered the global state so quickly?

Assuming ENSO is a property of the geomag sun, then my theory is internal regulation processes - superimposed on - the lagged base state = the operation of the thermal/kinetic budget interactive process.

What will be right:

What went wrong:

2. Doubt it seriously.

3. No, it wouldn't. The storm path is west of the Apps. With cold, that might have been a snow to sleet to freezing rain to drizzle event at best.

What went wrong ..... trying to predict a snowstorm a month in advance. I don't care who does that or what their skill level is, if you predict a storm a month in advance, and it happens, you can chalk about 98% of that success to pure luck.

Here is that 'final push', right on scedule, that could have winter really unloading on us for most of February after the 7th of the month, with another period in March as MJO tries to get back into region 4 after looping from 7-3, before looping back into regions 1-3 again but missing region 8.

I feel MJO is progged too slow in week 2 on the GEFS but that the general looks is in the right ballpark.

ensplume_small.gif

the gfs and ens have been horrible with the mjo stick with the euro

post-4-0-98701200-1327501888.gif

What will be right:

2. There will even be soYme brief snow/sleet at the onset, N&W.

What went wrong:

Lol... What ifs can torture you. If Lee Evans had glue on his hands, the Ravens would be going to the Super Bowl.

MDstorm

2. Doubt it seriously.

3. No, it wouldn't. The storm path is west of the Apps. With cold, that might have been a snow to sleet to freezing rain to drizzle event at best.

What went wrong ..... trying to predict a snowstorm a month in advance. I don't care who does that or what their skill level is, if you predict a storm a month in advance, and it happens, you can chalk about 98% of that success to pure luck.

Lol... What ifs can torture you. If Lee Evans had glue on his hands, the Ravens would be going to the Super Bowl.

MDstorm

Lee evans now in good company, money players who dont perform undef pressure a common theme with the ravens now!!! Kinda same theme this winter, cold no storms. Nothing else you can say.

MDstorm

Lee evans now in good company, money players who dont perform under pressure, a recurring theme now with the ravens.Same this winter, cold no snow. Kinda lowers my expectations for the rest of the winter.Patriots just waited for the ravens to misfire. Were waiting to see if anything comes to fruition down the road.

Archived