amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January storm threat discussion #2

Ian

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least there is a low to the south. The rest can work itself out. Kinda sums up the winter though. @ hr 96 we have an 850 low over the outer banks and it's going to be tough to snow. I'm guessing here, but I would say 9 times out of 10 when you have an 850 track from GA - OBX - to well off the MD coast in late Jan you would expect it to be snow.

Time for climo to help us instead of hurt.

I don't understand why you are taking the depiction literally and looking at sfc temps.....but whatever.....THis winter has been a complete stinker and models suck and our climo sucks..not sure why people have to keep pointing out that threats are low probability and unlikely to happen...no sh-it...we know...thanks for pointing out the obvious...without all the negative nancy's, we'd think we were tracking a possible 8-12" SECS every few days...And I am not referring to Wes....That is his "job" and his area of expertise...I don't see the need for so many others to assume that role....

High effing FIVE

BBs snow prediction will save us all, don't worry folks... our 30 inches are coming!

Or we can listen to am19psu who has been tweeting the last few days about "Feb 5th as the start of a wintry period in the East, at least relative to the rest of winter"

...though we all know how his torch call worked out.....

The GEFS ensembles do show a few members giving us snow sat, certainly a more optimistic ens grouping then most this year.

I post it for Matt,

post-70-0-27744500-1327426554.gif

While none are gungho for the UKmet solution. Some do offer a clipper that forms a wave off the coast at 138hrs or so when there should be plenty of cold air. That's also a time frame worth watching even if it is a long shot.

High effing FIVE

it might be annoying from time to time but why is wishful weeniesm any different (not counting matt of course) but it seems there are plenty who are like "im just going to hope for the best all the time!"

it might be annoying from time to time but why is wishful weeniesm any different (not counting matt of course) but it seems there are plenty who are like "im just going to hope for the best all the time!"

flip floppers >>>> negative nancy's >>>> wishful weenies

(more annoying to less annoying)

Wishing is one thing. Being hopeful when there is at least some indication that a good outcome is possible is another.

Wishing is one thing. Being hopeful when there is at least some indication that a good outcome is possible is another.

I think it's an argument that can't be resolved. There is little difference between saying something is unlikely or it could happen. From my POV some of the biggest snowhounds that are unhappy and trying to reshape the conversation positive all the time. None of us can make it snow, sadly.. A pressurized hose in a yard notwithstanding.

I really think what we're missing this year is JB with his constant claims of cold and snow in the east right around the corner; he certainly kept hope alive even though he busted

since he went to wxbell, he doesn't seem to have the presence he had while at Accuwx

It has certainly impacted the number of times I've written CWG posts. When he starts hyping, I usually get to do a non hyping column.

as someone who likes to punt i've not been able to on sat yet

I've been "cautiously optimistic" about this system given the closed, strong upper-level vort and its consistency in staying to our south. Obviously the biggest issue is timing it with some cold air available to the north, which has been improving over the last couple of days. Chances are still low at this point (around 20-30%?), but it's interesting to watch unfold at this range.

I really think what we're missing this year is JB with his constant claims of cold and snow in the east right around the corner; he certainly kept hope alive even though he busted

since he went to wxbell, he doesn't seem to have the presence he had while at Accuwx

He's too busy railing against climate change and how daily global average temperatures are somehow disproving global warming. Oh...and that CO2 is not a well-mixed gas :facepalm:

The GEFS ensembles do show a few members giving us snow sat, certainly a more optimistic ens grouping then most this year.

I post it for Matt,

post-70-0-27744500-1327426554.gif

While none are gungho for the UKmet solution. Some do offer a clipper that forms a wave off the coast at 138hrs or so when there should be plenty of cold air. That's also a time frame worth watching even if it is a long shot.

There are few certainies in DC with regards to snowstorms so just seeing that just a few of the ensembles have potential is interesting enough

I don't think our subforum is bad at all really. Annoying sometimes? Sure. I probably contribute to that factor but as a whole we're pretty temepered. We all want it to snow and even if the chances are slim, we'll still root for it. And when the chances are zero we'll b!tch about it.

Archived