Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.03” L.E.

We’ve got light snow falling this morning and another round of accumulation in association with the warm front of the Clipper system that is expected to pass to our north today/tomorrow. The flakes are pretty small here, in the 1-2 mm range, so the snow isn't quite as fluffy as the stuff from yesterday's event. Although there haven’t been any big systems this week, the three small systems coming through have certainly added to the snowpack in the valley, and it looks like they have helped to improve conditions on the slopes.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 23.3

Snow Density: 4.3% H2O

Temperature: 19.6 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.0 inches

We had right about an inch overnight. I was briefly excited thinking it was more when I heard the plow go by but alas. We also had about .6 or so yesterday. It adds up overtime I guess though it lacks the excitement of a big storm. I just hope it doesn't all melt soon. It would be nice to get our snowpack established.

Wow, coming down pretty nicely now ... a coating on all surfaces. Should eff up the commute pretty efficiently. Early work arrival FTW.

Yeah, just came into Portland from Kbk. It wasn't too bad when I left (8:00), but it definitely got progressively worse and it was slow going. Took me almost an hour. There were very few plows and sand trucks out.

How did '06/'07 start for you? I didn't keep any records for my area that year, but looking at the PWM data it was pretty bad at the Jetport until the latter half of January and then business picked up. I do remember washing my truck in early January that year. :axe:

Avg snowfall IMBY splits almost exactly at the 1/31-2/1 timeframe. Thru 1/31/07 the season had produced 19.1". After that, 76.2", by far my most extreme 2nd-half winter, with the record April icing the cake. I measured 37.2"; Farmington had 36.1" for a new April record, breaking the old one (24.0" in 1907) by over a foot.

Still a few flakes in the air. This event has labored mightily to produce about 1" in 4.5 hr here in AUG. At least the ground is the right color, and maybe it will survive tomorrow's progged upper 30s.

Looks like will end up with 1.3" here which will be gone tomorow

This is real pain for you folks and the businesses up there. The next two weeks really start to hurt. End of Dec- first week of Jan are always hit or miss but going into mid Jan is usually time for biz. This is real economic damage being done for up there.

This is real pain for you folks and the businesses up there. The next two weeks really start to hurt. End of Dec- first week of Jan are always hit or miss but going into mid Jan is usually time for biz. This is real economic damage being done for up there.

Its bad, The snowmobiling industry and everything tied to it is hurting no doubt, Realistically, I don't think we see much riding before the end of the month unless we have some unforeseen good fortune in a short period of time.

upper elevations here certainly haven't received the message winter is over.

today around 2800'

IMG_2715.jpg

good week, doubled the base from last week.

Lovely pic, though it tempts me to violate the 10th commandment. (Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's snowfall.)

And it's less about winter being over, more about wondering when it starts. Ü

Its bad, The snowmobiling industry and everything tied to it is hurting no doubt, Realistically, I don't think we see much riding before the end of the month unless we have some unforeseen good fortune in a short period of time.

True, true. The only riding right now is north of the St. Lawrence or the Gaspe. Thats why I have a trailer! :sled:

Event totals: 0.9” Snow/0.03” L.E.

We picked up another couple of tenths of an inch of snow after the 6:00 A.M. clearing of the snowboard this morning. I noticed a big disparity in temperatures today driving home from Burlington, where it was in the mid to upper 30s F around 5:30 P.M., and in Waterbury where it was actually below 30 F. It was definitely one of those days where one see how areas east of the Greens can more easily hold onto the snowpack.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 30.1 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 5.5 inches

Archived