• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

Well, never went above 32 her yesterday. Reached that temp and there we stubbornly stayed for an afternoon high. It cleared off for a while early last night, temps dropped back into the upper 20s, clouds rolled in after that with just a few flakes/pellets, temp jumped back to 32 and now this morning, cloudy and 29. Not bad considering the warmth that other locales saw.

Ever been to the Gaspe? I've been wanting to go for years and have never made the trek. I've been to Quebec City and that's as close as I've come (I know, still a ways away). The Chic-Chocs have been on my list of places to visit for a long time. One of these days. Looks awesome and only a day's drive away:

tq_000822_g.jpg

As luck would have it were Snowmobiling there next month. Never been either. Been on my list for a while as well. Its actually tricky to time good Snow all the way out to the Rock (Perce). The maritime climate as you head farther east can lay down rain as often as snow some years.

Would like to try some summer hiking there as well. Chic chocks look great and very low tree line, like 3700-3800.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my dad just got home from caoticook/ baldwin mills and he said the said thing but nice to see pictures.. by the way its going to be cold up there next weekend..

Saturday: A chance of snow showers. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 9. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday Night: A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around -19. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday: Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 4.

nice Jan day. even when the sun was out it was snowing

IMG_2721.jpg

willoughby gap played peek-a-boo all day, snow globe showers never really stopped. looking up the

rt. 114 valley/E. Haven and Granby out there were its all woods, Newark to the left, slightly more populated :)

IMG_2723.jpg

Just came back from a snowmobile ride in Powderfreak territory. Luckily, most of the trails are on old roads in the state forest so it doesn't take a lot of snow to make them rideable. I think the trail gets up to around 2500' overlooking Waterbury Resevoir. Looked like about 18" at the top. Definitely could use more.

I have held off bringing my sled in for preseason maintenance, But i brought it to the dealer last week in anticipation of our upcoming weather, Trying to change the juju..

Just came back from a snowmobile ride in Powderfreak territory. Luckily, most of the trails are on old roads in the state forest so it doesn't take a lot of snow to make them rideable. I think the trail gets up to around 2500' overlooking Waterbury Resevoir. Looked like about 18" at the top. Definitely could use more.

Yeah that 18" at that elevation sounds right... there's a decent elevation gradient in this area between like 1,500ft and 3,000ft, then its about the same between 3K and 4K.

Looks something like this in Stowe... I may go poke around at 2,000ft and 2,500ft today to fill in the gaps. Today or tomorrow I need to do the first snow survey with the Adirondack snow sampler, so I'll be curious to find out how much water is sitting in the snowpack:

26" 3,700ft

25" 3,000ft

7" 1,500ft

5" 800ft

nice Jan day. even when the sun was out it was snowing

willoughby gap played peek-a-boo all day, snow globe showers never really stopped. looking up the

rt. 114 valley/E. Haven and Granby out there were its all woods, Newark to the left, slightly more populated :)

Sweet... I love that country up there. My college girlfriend grew up in Brownington and her family had a camp on Lake Salem we always would hang out at. I don't miss her but I miss her family's property up there, haha.

And yep, same thing down here, the snow globe never really shut off at the mountain yesterday. However I only had an additional 0.2" on the snowboard at 1,500ft in the last 24 hours. Just mood flakes... but man that top 0.2" is like glitter. Sparkles like broken glass on top of the surface.

Snow showers fell here most of the day yesterday. Have had a trace of snow or more every day this month, surprisingly.

As luck would have it were Snowmobiling there next month. Never been either. Been on my list for a while as well. Its actually tricky to time good Snow all the way out to the Rock (Perce). The maritime climate as you head farther east can lay down rain as often as snow some years.

Would like to try some summer hiking there as well. Chic chocks look great and very low tree line, like 3700-3800.

Sound good, man. Take pics and post 'em up here if you get the chance. Definitely can see the eastern end of the Gaspe being quite maritime in nature. Satellite snow depth tool showing a fair bit up there right now though...

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html?mode=pan&extents=us&zoom=&loc=43.15+N%2C+63.99+W&ql=station&var=snow_depth_shallow&dy=2012&dm=1&dd=9&dh=12&snap=1&o11=1&o9=1&o12=1&o13=1&lbl=m&min_x=-88.325000000001&min_y=35.408333333334&max_x=-58.316666666669&max_y=52.283333333333&coord_x=++-63.99&coord_y=+++43.15&zbox_n=49.67708333333315&zbox_s=43.07708333333355&zbox_e=-63.96198437500208&zbox_w=-72.43933854166837&metric=0&width=800&height=450&nw=800&nh=450&h_o=0&font=0&js=1&uc=0

I have held off bringing my sled in for preseason maintenance, But i brought it to the dealer last week in anticipation of our upcoming weather, Trying to change the juju..

My neighbor runs the snowmobile touring company in Stowe and he invited me and my son up to ride. Conditions weren't great but since just about all of their business is from people at the resort who want a change of pace from skiing, their customer base generally don't know the difference. I think they charge $169 for a two hour tour, thankfully this was free for me. I didn't even have to pay fo gas.

If the overnight modeling trends hold, your juju is powerful.

I had held off waiting for more positive changes and once i saw them last week i got it in there for service, Its looking good for us as long as we don't see it getting anymore surpressed, The trend this year has been for these to shift back NW but we will wait to see, Point and click has me with 90% snow/sleet for thurs

My neighbor runs the snowmobile touring company in Stowe and he invited me and my son up to ride. Conditions weren't great but since just about all of their business is from people at the resort who want a change of pace from skiing, their customer base generally don't know the difference. I think they charge $169 for a two hour tour, thankfully this was free for me. I didn't even have to pay fo gas.

That is good for you, As it can be expensive with the Rental, Gas and Oil, But its a good time as well

Yeah that 18" at that elevation sounds right... there's a decent elevation gradient in this area between like 1,500ft and 3,000ft, then its about the same between 3K and 4K.

Looks something like this in Stowe... I may go poke around at 2,000ft and 2,500ft today to fill in the gaps. Today or tomorrow I need to do the first snow survey with the Adirondack snow sampler, so I'll be curious to find out how much water is sitting in the snowpack:

26" 3,700ft

25" 3,000ft

7" 1,500ft

5" 800ft

Definitely some steep stuff up there. I don't know anything about skiing but it seems like there could be some backcountry options in that area. Do you ever go backcountry exploring away from Mansfield itself?

Definitely some steep stuff up there. I don't know anything about skiing but it seems like there could be some backcountry options in that area. Do you ever go backcountry exploring away from Mansfield itself?

Not really... I did some in college but these days I'm just too busy to get away from this mountain. There's a really sweet traverse on the Catamount Trail that runs from Bolton Valley to Mansfield along all those peaks and drainages along the Spine in that area. I've heard there are some fantastic glades in that area as the forest in this area is generally not that dense and this east side of the Spine probably builds some of the deepest snowpack in the state. Its kind of sad that right now that deepest snowpack in the state is like 18-26" on January 9th and all in that 2,500-4,000ft elevation band.

J.Spin probably has some info on that area as I know he does some touring around Bolton. Not sure if he's done anything up above the Waterbury Res though.

It's extremely dangerous and unwise to go backcountry skiing in Vermont. There just isn't enough snow.

Across the rd from PF there was a considerably variable in the amount of snow on the E side vs W. We didn't even attempt any turns on the W.

018.jpg

056-1.jpg

065.jpg

P1070071.jpg

Awesome shots, skimore! That looks about right for high elevation east side aspects. When was that? I'm guessing that was the back bowls area off Sterling/Spruce Peak down to RT 108? How were the lower elevations? I hear its still quite sketchy in there below 2,500ft.

And that shot of Mansfield's Chin and northern ridge is so sweet. Shows just how steep and big the terrain is in this area. One can imagine how orographic lift takes place with moist air slamming into that.

Awesome shots, skimore! That looks about right for high elevation east side aspects. When was that? I'm guessing that was the back bowls area off Sterling/Spruce Peak down to RT 108? How were the lower elevations? I hear its still quite sketchy in there below 2,500ft.

And that shot of Mansfield's Chin and northern ridge is so sweet. Shows just how steep and big the terrain is in this area. One can imagine how orographic lift takes place with moist air slamming into that.

Saturday and it was the E side of Whiteface(Sterling)

and yes below 2500 was quite sketchy

J.Spin probably has some info on that area as I know he does some touring around Bolton. Not sure if he's done anything up above the Waterbury Res though.

With season’s passes at Bolton Valley we’ll often begin a tour with a lift assist there and/or begin on their backcountry network, so I’ve never started down in that area near the Waterbury Reservoir or headed all the way to the bottom. I’ve done lots of shorter trips off the back side of Bolton and the Bolton-Trapp Trail though – if you scroll down on our backcountry page I’ve got links to my detailed backcountry reports that should be helpful in giving you a sense of what the area is like. Even in all my trips I’ve only scratched the surface of what’s out there, but there are glades all over the place in that area (some are somewhat natural, I’m sure others are maintained to varying degrees), with lots of nice stuff off the Bolton-Trapp Trail. There are some absolutely gorgeous glades out there though; it’s a glade-skiing nirvana:

22JAN11F.jpg

I like this change to the forecast. No more rain/sleet crap in there. I am still afraid that this thing could come closer to or over the coast but things are looking better.

Thursday: A chance of snow, mainly after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 31. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Thursday Night: Snow likely, mainly before 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 23. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Friday: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Friday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 14. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

I like this change to the forecast. No more rain/sleet crap in there. I am still afraid that this thing could come closer to or over the coast but things are looking better.

Thursday: A chance of snow, mainly after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 31. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Thursday Night: Snow likely, mainly before 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 23. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Friday: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Friday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 14. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Yes, Colder solutions today for the most part on the models

With regard to the Thursday system, I heard the forecast from Bob Minsenberger first this morning, and was surprised to hear him as gung ho on this system as he was. He was calling for accumulations of 1 to 3 inches of snow with some mixing west of the Greens, and 3 to 6 inches east of the Greens comprised of mostly snow, with higher totals in the mountains. Roger Hill had a forecast similar to yesterday; he emphasized the mixing more, but mentioned 2 to 6 inches for the area, and again felt that better accumulations would be toward the northern tier of the state. When I checked out this morning’s 00Z run of the ECMWF, it was certainly the most robust I’ve seen in terms of snow out of the past few for this area, there seemed to be that dry slot in there, but around here it had the snow falling for most of the 48-hour period from 10:00 A.M. EST Thursday to 10:00 A.M. EST Saturday. We’ll just have to see how things change over the next 48 hours, and there is actually a little snow to think about today as well.

Happy Birthday Freak!

Haha thanks man.

Unfortunately no snow overnight... second 24 hour period in the last 11 days without measurable, though we have recorded a Trace during both of those periods. This is the time of year when statistically the chance for snow on any given day at the mountain is like 70%. You are more likely to be correct calling for at least a trace of snow over nothing at all, even without looking at any models.

30F and light snow (flurries) at 1,500ft this morning. Snow depth remains at 7" here. Mansfield stake at 3,700ft was up to 27" at 4pm yesterday. Nice snow depth gradient over 2,000 vertical feet.

Looks like some moisture is on our doorstep and more steady snows in the northern mountains should begin over the next hour or two.

Archived