joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed - Friday is really the dry slot day. One can actually make use of the hourly weather graph type of format that I posted above (mine cuts off Friday at midnight, but you can set it for a different 48-hour chunk and watch the upslope keep going). My call for the most fun in the fresh stuff would be Thursday afternoon/evening, and then Saturday morning onward. Things should be fun right from the get go with this system on Thursday though; it’s not like the mountains are recovering from a thaw-freeze event or anything. Non-manmade surfaces are nice and soft at most elevations, just like PF, adk, and I mentioned in our Stowe reports from the weekend. Things should really just be going from good to great, although if sbos_wx can change around his ski trip timing a bit he might get more optimal conditions (and get to experience some of the upslope snowfall if he also wants that). Friday could be fine, or it could be a bit more “meh” depending on how the dry slot period plays out.

Thanks and enjoy it!

Don't think friday is the day.

There's really no powder day per say with this one. Maybe Saturday but that's wind packed powder. Honestly, I'm stoked to get snow but this is just a run of the mill storm. 3-4" tomorrow, some ZR crust, then another 4-6" on Friday afternoon and evening.

22 buses coming to Stowe on Saturday and we are expecting largest crowds of season. It's too bad the normal backcountry spots aren't in yet. I was out off Chin Clip today in the usual woods and that is definitely not ready yet. Not a whole lot of skiing and a lot trying not to break a leg.

If it was 15F right now, Id be looking for 6" then light ice, light rain and topping out at maybe 35 tomorrow night. But...., its 28 now, so Im thinking 2-3 inches on the front end, a short period of Zrain, then light-moderate plain rain topping out around 40.

By the time the cold air rushes in Fri nite, I'll be happy if the ground is White. :cry:

Farther cry from the 1.5 of rain 4 days ago, you hate life don't cha.

Yeah that's all I keep thinking about. No one can be disappointed with this...it's not a 45/40 type rainstorm before the holiday weekend.

With that said this event has been hyped quite a bit so I could see where some folks read it as a bust if only 5" falls or something.

There's really no powder day per say with this one. Maybe Saturday but that's wind packed powder. Honestly, I'm stoked to get snow but this is just a run of the mill storm. 3-4" tomorrow, some ZR crust, then another 4-6" on Friday afternoon and evening.

22 buses coming to Stowe on Saturday and we are expecting largest crowds of season. It's too bad the normal backcountry spots aren't in yet. I was out off Chin Clip today in the usual woods and that is definitely not ready yet. Not a whole lot of skiing and a lot trying not to break a leg.

I think you are being a tad pessimistic.

Look at the upslope signature at 0z saturday. Pretty damn solid. Very easily could be a dose of smoke on top of a 6 inch dense snow fall. That will open up a few zones. Not a ton but I'm sure a few. And those 3 powder runs before the busses get there...well...damn worth it.

I think you are being a tad pessimistic.

Look at the upslope signature at 0z saturday. Pretty damn solid. Very easily could be a dose of smoke on top of a 6 inch dense snow fall. That will open up a few zones. Not a ton but I'm sure a few. And those 3 powder runs before the busses get there...well...damn worth it.

Haha that's true... I'm was being a whinner. Its good for business but the place is going to be a mad house tomorrow, lol.

overcast, ceiling looks to be about 2000'. so far a big ole whiff up here, the sand they spread this morning is deeper than the talcom powder layer fo snow that got spit out around 7

Same goes for here in Winooski.

Woke up this morning with a light dusting that happened sometime overnight and then just a brief flizzard this morning around 8 o'clock. An errant flake does somehow manage to catch my eye about every 15 minutes or so. The radar is showing the line where the precip has been dissipating is slowly, painfully slowly moving northwards up the valley and filling in behind itself.

The plow truck awaits. It has been waiting for quite some time now.

BTV now with a WWA for Friday.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=VTZ007&warncounty=VTC005&firewxzone=VTZ007&local_place1=Peacham+VT&product1=Winter+Weather+Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT 335 PM EST THU JAN 12 2012 NYZ026-027-029>031-034-087-VTZ003-004-006>008-010-016>019-130930- /O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0002.120113T1200Z-120114T0500Z/ NORTHERN ST. LAWRENCE-NORTHERN FRANKLIN-SOUTHEASTERN ST. LAWRENCE- SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-WESTERN CLINTON-WESTERN ESSEX- SOUTHWESTERN ST. LAWRENCE-ORLEANS-ESSEX-LAMOILLE-CALEDONIA- WASHINGTON-ORANGE-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN- EASTERN ADDISON-EASTERN RUTLAND- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MASSENA...MALONE...STAR LAKE... SARANAC LAKE...TUPPER LAKE...DANNEMORA...LAKE PLACID... OGDENSBURG...POTSDAM...GOUVERNEUR...NEWPORT...ISLAND POND... JOHNSON...STOWE...ST. JOHNSBURY...MONTPELIER...BRADFORD... RANDOLPH...ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...UNDERHILL...BRISTOL... RIPTON...EAST WALLINGFORD...KILLINGTON 335 PM EST THU JAN 12 2012 ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM FRIDAY TO MIDNIGHT EST FRIDAY NIGHT... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM FRIDAY TO MIDNIGHT EST FRIDAY NIGHT. * LOCATIONS...THE ENTIRE NORTH COUNTRY...EXCEPT THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY OF VERMONT AND NEW YORK...AND WINDSOR COUNTY OF VERMONT. * HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND MIXED PRECIPITATION. * ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW...ALONG WITH A TRACE OF ICE. * TIMING...LIGHT MIXED PRECIPITATION EARLY FRIDAY MORNING WILL CHANGE TO SNOW ACROSS NORTHERN NEW YORK MID-MORNING...AND ACROSS VERMONT BY EARLY AFTERNOON. MODERATE TO LOCALLY HEAVY SNOW WILL THEN CONTINUE THROUGH THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS...TAPERING OFF NEAR MIDNIGHT. * IMPACTS...MIXED PRECIPITATION IN THE MORNING...AND MODERATE SNOW IN THE AFTERNOON WILL LEAD TO HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS FOR THE MORNING AND EVENING COMMUTES. * WINDS...LIGHT SOUTHEAST WINDS IN THE MORNING...BECOMING SOUTHWEST AT 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. * TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID 20S. * VISIBILITIES...DOWN TO A HALF MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

Only 1.8" of snow today. Currently 34F with sprinkles. The same old same old this winter!!!

I've seen Fairlee/Orford/Bradford/Piermont, etc be a bit of a snow hole with this sort of set up. I measured over 3.5" in Hanover and put me down for a solid 6" here Corinth, including the 1" I noted this morning in the obs thread. The hills on the NH side are just tall enough north of Hanover to cause some shadowing with this sort of fetch, from about Lyme/East Thetford clear on up to Woodsville & Wells River--right along the valley, that is. I'll bet there's a fair bit up by the Mel Thompson place at the top of 25A, thinking of Orford. You've seen it though, I'm sure. ;)

Archived