joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning models bumped up qpf nicely, might be looking at 6-10" here if they verify. Last winter the Rumford-to-Skowhegan Route 2 corridor missed all the good bands except for the April fools event, getting 6-9" in Dec-Feb storms while folks away from Route 2 had 12-18". Usually we do better than that. At least we should get a WS watch out of this; 1st one since the pre-Thanksgiving storm. Fortunately, my all-day meeting Thursday is in AUG rather than its usual BGR location - 30 miles of snow-driving is much better than 80.

So I just took the Adirondack Snow Sampler out to do snow core measurements at the 3,000ft snow plot.

First of all... there was another 1.2" overnight and this morning on the snow board. It just boggles my mind how much snow falls up there. It is my "happy place" haha... and a weenies dream location. Just sitting there in the forest with snow everywhere clinging to every branch... its like living in a snow globe.

The snow depth is still 25" as the snow that's been falling is very fluffy and doesn't add much to the pack. Out of those 25 inches, I did 8 cores and got an average ready of 5.25" of water weight. Very interesting stuff and it will be cool to see how that changes over the course of the season.

This is all snow pretty much north of S.NH and S.VT... QPF totals for both the first system and then the upper level low.

I wish we could lock this in, but its the NAM and that worries me. It did follow the 3z ETA though, lol.

Amazingly enough, the 12z NAM has you even flirting with IP. It warms up to -1 at 800 mb around 15z Thursday.

Amazingly enough, the 12z NAM has you even flirting with IP. It warms up to -1 at 800 mb around 15z Thursday.

-1c is fine. Mansfield makes snow at -1c. when we get +1c at 750mb is when we get totally sharted on. The colling from the orographic uplift is enough to work the snow machine at -1c.

-1c is fine. Mansfield makes snow at -1c. when we get +1c at 750mb is when we get totally sharted on. The colling from the orographic uplift is enough to work the snow machine at -1c.

Absolutely, looks like things trended very well for ski country. No disaster washout scenario.

I was more speaking from a natural snow perspective, where ratios don't look amazing. But hopefully forcing can overcome that for a period of time and see some 1"/hr rates.

Absolutely, looks like things trended very well for ski country. No disaster washout scenario.

I was more speaking from a natural snow perspective, where ratios don't look amazing. But hopefully forcing can overcome that for a period of time and see some 1"/hr rates.

This storm screams crummy ratios to me... historically anytime we have mid level warming from H85 up through H7 and even above, we always end up with needles and almost snow pellets. It pours snow straight down and is good for base building, but this is no 20:1 fluff like we've been seeing lately.

I'd probably go 8:1 and no higher than 10:1 ratios for this. Now the upper level low is a whole other story following that H85 -10C line in. That upper level low stuff is usually fluff on top of the dense synoptic snows.

As of ~8:45 A.M., we’re just starting to see flakes here in Burlington – latest radar below:

I did one last quick snow board check and so the totals for this minor event will be as follows:

3,000ft High Road: 1.8" (25" snow depth)

1,500ft Barnes Camp: 1.0" (8" snow depth)

Here at 800ft it looks like 0.4" and there's around 5.5" of snow on the ground.

This storm screams crummy ratios to me... historically anytime we have mid level warming from H85 up through H7 and even above, we always end up with needles and almost snow pellets. It pours snow straight down and is good for base building, but this is no 20:1 fluff like we've been seeing lately.

I'd probably go 8:1 and no higher than 10:1 ratios for this. Now the upper level low is a whole other story following that H85 -10C line in. That upper level low stuff is usually fluff on top of the dense synoptic snows.

I agree with this. Euro verbatim is a wet/heavy synoptic snow followed by big ULL and upslope in the greens. This is about as ideal a scenario as possible.

Just over an inch on the board at 8:30am, total of 1.8" for this minor event.

The scene around the snow measuring area. A snow lovers dream. And this is a bad winter.

Adirondack Snow Sampler...

And snow core. 5.3" of water in 25" of depth. Decent amount of rain water in there from the weekly rainstorms we got through December.

Even with crummy ratios or sleet, that the usual “right side up” combination that makes for great days on the mountain – put down the dense material to cover up the areas that need it and smooth out the imperfections, then bring on the fluff. The December 27th-28th storm did this to some degree, but the more frozen the better. We’ve really not had many of these yet this season (obviously, with the lack of synoptic storms), so if this one works out that way it would be great for the slopes – you get the immediate return of a good day in the fluff, with the long-term reward of base building.

I agree with this. Euro verbatim is a wet/heavy synoptic snow followed by big ULL and upslope in the greens. This is about as ideal a scenario as possible.

I could see something play out like 3-4" of dense snow/sleet on Thursday, followed by like 6-8" drier inches with the upper level low and upslope flow. I really doubt we see more than 3-5" with that first shot Wed night/Thursday. But then it starts ripping 1"+/hr dendrites with NW flow and the upper trough on Friday.

I'm supposed to fly out of Manchester NH Friday early, so it's certain to snow here at home in central VT, then I will be gone most of the weekend, adding more certainty of snow. ;-)

Honestly I would be very happy with dense stuff like the ratios you mentioned Powderfreak, we need a lot of that and then some nice upsloping afterwards. I come home again on Sunday and may need to start thinking about some time off to make up for all the lost weekend days.

I could see something play out like 3-4" of dense snow/sleet on Thursday, followed by like 6-8" drier inches with the upper level low and upslope flow. I really doubt we see more than 3-5" with that first shot Wed night/Thursday. But then it starts ripping 1"+/hr dendrites with NW flow and the upper trough on Friday.

You really deepen the snow growth zone Friday as temperatures crash behind the surface trough. GFS progs the DGZ to run from the surface up through around 750 mb.

You betcha.

5-7 of heavy stuff followed by 5-7 of light stuff means I better go get the cambered skis mounted up tomorrow. Game on.

BTV has updated our local point and click to include sleet and freezing drizzle.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Peacham&state=VT&site=BTV&textField1=44.33&textField2=-72.17&e=1

Wednesday Night: A chance of snow, mainly after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18. Light south wind. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Thursday: Snow before noon, then snow and sleet. High near 29. Calm wind becoming east around 6 mph. Winds could gust as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Thursday Night: Freezing drizzle likely before 4am, then a chance of sleet. Cloudy, with a low around 21. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Friday: Snow likely, possibly mixed with sleet, becoming all snow after 7am. Cloudy, with a high near 31. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Friday Night: A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 14. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

GYX has posted a Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME

304 PM EST TUE JAN 10 2012

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH

THURSDAY EVENING...

.LOW PRESSURE LIFTING OUT OF THE DEEP SOUTH WILL SPREAD A POSSIBLE

SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACROSS MUCH OF THE AREA LATE WEDNESDAY

THROUGH THURSDAY. LOW PRESSURE WILL TRACK INTO THE MIDWEST...AS A

SECOND AREA OF LOW PRESSURE TRIES TO DEVELOP ALONG THE SOUTHERN

NEW ENGLAND COAST. PRECIPITATION WILL START AS SNOW FOR MOST OF

THE REGION...BEFORE WARM AIR ALOFT CREATES A MIX ALONG THE COAST

AND IMMEDIATE INTERIOR. SLIGHT CHANGES TO THE TRACK AND STRENGTH

COULD YIELD SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE IN PRECIPITATION TYPE AT THIS

TIME. BUT CONFIDENCE IS INCREASING FOR A PLOWABLE SNOWFALL ALONG

THE FOOTHILLS AND INTERIOR...WITH SOME SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN

POSSIBLE AS YOU NEAR THE COAST. AS SNOW WINDS DOWN THURSDAY

EVENING...FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL LIKELY DEVELOP ACROSS MUCH OF THE

AREA AS WELL.

MEZ007>009-012>014-018>022-NHZ001>010-110500-

/O.NEW.KGYX.WS.A.0001.120112T0900Z-120113T0300Z/

NORTHERN OXFORD-NORTHERN FRANKLIN-CENTRAL SOMERSET-

SOUTHERN OXFORD-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-SOUTHERN SOMERSET-INTERIOR YORK-

INTERIOR CUMBERLAND-ANDROSCOGGIN-KENNEBEC-INTERIOR WALDO-

NORTHERN COOS-SOUTHERN COOS-NORTHERN GRAFTON-NORTHERN CARROLL-

SOUTHERN GRAFTON-SOUTHERN CARROLL-SULLIVAN-MERRIMACK-BELKNAP-

STRAFFORD-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ANDOVER...ROXBURY...UPTON...

WILSONS MILLS...COBURN GORE...RANGELEY...KINGFIELD...BINGHAM...

JACKMAN...RUMFORD...NORWAY...FRYEBURG...OXFORD...FARMINGTON...

WILTON...MADISON...SKOWHEGAN...PITTSFIELD...SANFORD...BERWICK...

NORTH WINDHAM...GORHAM...BRIDGTON...LEWISTON-AUBURN...

LIVERMORE FALLS...AUGUSTA...WATERVILLE...WINTERPORT...UNITY...

COLEBROOK...BERLIN...LANCASTER...LITTLETON...NORTH CONWAY...

LEBANON...HANOVER...PLYMOUTH...WOLFEBORO...OSSIPEE...CLAREMONT...

NEWPORT...CHARLESTOWN...CONCORD...HOOKSETT...LACONIA...MEREDITH...

ROCHESTER...DOVER

304 PM EST TUE JAN 10 2012

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH

THURSDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM

WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH

THURSDAY EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...THE MOUNTAINS OF NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND WESTERN

MAINE...THE FOOTHILLS...AND THE COASTAL PLAIN.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...WITH A MIX OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN

POSSIBLE FOR LOCATIONS ALONG THE COASTAL PLAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 INCHES OR MORE ARE POSSIBLE

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT ACROSS

SOUTHWESTERN NEW HAMPSHIRE...AND SPREAD NORTHEAST FROM THERE.

THURSDAY MORNING SNOW MAY MIX WITH SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN BEFORE

ENDING AS FREEZING DRIZZLE THURSDAY EVENING.

* IMPACTS...COLD TEMPERATURES PRECEDING SNOW WILL HELP THEM

BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY SHORTLY AFTER ONSET.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 20S.

* VISIBILITIES...HEAVY SNOWFALL MAY REDUCE VISIBILITY TO ONE HALF

MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS

Archived