joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Easy going to hit the 1-3 mark with this line.

It's snowing HARD in BTV.

I was wondering if you were around in town adk, glad you got to see the snow – the air has been thick with fat flakes (some more than an inch in diameter) here on the UVM campus. We’ve been in those bright echoes on the radar:

05JAN12B.gif

Just curious what lake you are at. We have a house near the fulton chain.

He's in BTV right along Lake Champlain.

Anyway, seems to be snowing pretty steadily here in Montpelier. I've been stuck in a windowless room a lot this morning so I haven't seen if there is any accumulation outside.

I'm always in town. Work right along the water.

Yeah, you can get some nice views of storms down there by the lake – didn’t know if work had you out and about the area though, since this was somewhat localized. It’s winding down to lighter snow now, but ~1.5” picked up here on the UVM campus at 380’. It should be nice as this runs into the Greens, looks like the Smugg’s through ’bush stretch should catch some of the snowfall.

it likely was 2 events (a brief break in the action). as it compares to the valentines day storm- i skied that one, the wind worked the snow over by the latter part of the storm...

Two distinct coastal storms farther east, where we get little/no upslope snow. MBY got 8.5" on Feb 19-20, 2009, then 24.5" on 22-23. The latter is the 2nd largest I've masured (26.5" in Ft. Kent, 3/14-15/84) and featured 18" in 7.5 hr.

Just returned yesterday from out Illinois trip, and have only read this page. Given all the snow we drove thru going and coming back (about 1/3 of our 2,600-mile round trip featured falling snow), I was surprised to see bare ground on our arrival here. It was 12F with -SN and 2.5" total OG (only 0.8" new) when we departed at 3 PM on Christmas day. Similar temp (14F) but much different view when we got here about 5 PM yest. From 1999 thru 2011 the month of January has had 1"+ OG on all but 5 days, 3 in 2000 and 2 in 2007. We've now doubled that snowless time, and unless we get enough to tally 1" tomorrow (unlikely, it seems), it looks like late next wek before the brown is no longer around. Must be a tough time for snowshoe hare!

Heaviest snowfall rate I've ever seen was Tuesday morning on I-80 in western PA, from Erie LES. Wind wasn't a factor as we were in thick woods, and visibility dropped to perhaps 50 feet. As we crept along at low speed we could see the 4-way flashers on the vehicle right in front of us, but the next vehicle ahead was hidden in snow. Guardrails were visible but the trees beyond them were not. The two really incredible snowbursts lasted only 5-10 minutes each (seemed much longer) while the significant snowfall lasted for about 40 miles/80 minutes. Heard later that I-80 was closed by accidents for several hr after we slipped thru.

Well, I'm at my home-away-from-home; Hanover, NH. It's snowing here and has been lightly for a while. Enough to start to cover the bare frozen ground here. Based on the nearby webcam, it certainly looks to have snowed at home too but I won't know how much for another few hours.

Nice to see some flakes falling.

Thinking of throwing in the towel on this winter. I know we have a ways to go, but seriously, a good chunk of the winter and coldest part will be over by the time we get (if we get) any decent snowpack. I never thought it could be this bad and certainly don't recall a winter starting this bad as long as I've kept records (1989). Unless March is awesome, snowmobiling season is going to be ridiculously short. Businesses gotta be hurting.

Thinking of throwing in the towel on this winter. I know we have a ways to go, but seriously, a good chunk of the winter and coldest part will be over by the time we get (if we get) any decent snowpack. I never thought it could be this bad and certainly don't recall a winter starting this bad as long as I've kept records (1989). Unless March is awesome, snowmobiling season is going to be ridiculously short. Businesses gotta be hurting.

This is depressing, but I wouldnt mail it in yet. My East Central NH location is virtually climatically identicle to yours. Ive lived over here since the early eightys, and we have had a few similar starts in the past. The good news, if any, is the ground is freezing up and the brooks and water bars are just a trickle now. Some of the so called experts are talking a colder pattern starting late next week. If that holds and we get a decent 12-18 on the ground by Feb 1st, we could still get 5-6 weeks of riding.

Lets face it, a 6 week season of "good" riding is about average for areas south and east of the White Mts.w/out elevation. Also, the only month around here that you can count on is February. Hang in there!!

This was posted in the Next Week Storm threat thread as Will and I were discussing the Mansfield co-op... but this is why their snowfall readings should be taken with a grain of salt. This is horrific how bad their reporting is by using an 8" rain gauge to measure snowfall, as flakes are never going to find their way into that opening on a windy summit.

They reported 1.0" of new on 0.09" of liquid. The liquid makes sense to me as I was guessing we had 30-40:1 ratios today. The snowfall does not.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
630 PM EST THU JAN 5 2012

STATION			PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT		 SNOW
			   24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER	 NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD	 0.09	12   3   9				1.0  23

Now here's my 24 hour snowfall (3.7") at 3,044ft, maybe a mile away from the Co-Op. And measuring time doesn't matter here because this fell during the early morning hours and daytime:

Event totals: 2.0” Snow/0.05” L.E.

We picked up more snow today with the squalls; it looks like it had settled a bit but it was still very dry stuff coming in at 3.3% H2O.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 1.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 23.4 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 5.5 inches

Welcome back ... it's been awful for winter wx enthusiasts here in your absence.

Thanks, Eric. Wasn't too wintry in Decatur, either. They had 1" of white surprise the morning we arrived, but it was long gone when we drove in about 3 PM. (We'd hit the bands in Indiana; many vehicles visited the median.) Watched 3" fall in Youngstown, OH, atop the 1-2" we'd driven thru for a couple hundred miles, then up to 6" OG in W. PA. (Once we hit the mega-bands, the incredible snowfall rate prevented any guesses at depth except on the roadway; all we cared about was that it wasn't enough to get us stuck.)

At least we missed the 27th-28th torch-deluge that took all the snow here. Saw about 20 flakes today. If the gfs mid-month frigid spell verifies w/o some white insulation, the carrots I'm overwintering in the ground are doomed; the 12" of leaves won't suffice. Might as well be a full lose-lose winter, at least th 1st half.

Ahh morning's with Mansfield are a snow lovers dream. Now it seems like it snows everyday... we are in that mid-winter "daily light snow" pattern and have been since around Christmas.

Snowing harder than I thought it would be this morning. 0.7" down so far here at 1,500ft. Probably 1" or so up high.

Amazing snow growth like yesterday, so its very efficient snowfall. Those sprinklings of 30dbz are brief 1"/hr or higher rates.

How did '06/'07 start for you? I didn't keep any records for my area that year, but looking at the PWM data it was pretty bad at the Jetport until the latter half of January and then business picked up. I do remember washing my truck in early January that year. :axe:

KPWM2006b10plot.png

Snowing here this morning. It's interesting that my snowfall obs today will basically be covereing two seperate events--yesterday afternoon's snow showers and squalls which gave us a bit over a half-inch here and now this warm frontal snow that's falling this morning. Haven't measured yet but so far it looks to be another half-inch or so. Might actually reach 3" at the stake by obs time in a half-hour. ;)

It was 9F when I went to bed, 19F now. Feels balmy out there....

Archived