Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 26-27 Potential Snow Event

Hoosier

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This storm is going to be nearly fully dependent upon how deep the southern stream anomaly is after it kicks out of the Rockies. Given how long this system will sit and slowly fill over the Rockies then eject across the plains...it doesn't seem terribly likely that the NAM will be correct with a deep PV (NAM has a sub-546 500 hpa low) and a negative tilt storm with a large defo band across the CCB. But it will be worth watching trends. ECMWF does have some light accumulating snow with this system as it features a better phase with the northern stream. Keep into consideration that the ECMWF current run is a nearly ideal phase...seasonal trends and the dominant +AO regime suggest the northern stream will be a dominant feature once again, so care must be taken into buying the ECMWF at this juncture.

Triple phasers, which this event is, are never fun. Essentially Polar Vortex phasing with the Pacific wave ejecting off the Pacific Jet firehose crossing the Canadian Rockies phasing with that migratory cutoff PV. Sums up this entire winter where every event has been a needle threading event.

I thought triple phasers created the biggest storms? Or am I getting that confused with something else?

I thought triple phasers created the biggest storms? Or am I getting that confused with something else?

They can.

The problem (and frustrating part) is getting everything to fall in line for them to happen successfully.

If one thing in the process goes amiss (which happens quite often) then the (non) system is as good as crap.

They can be. Superstorm 93 was a triple phase. The monster storms associated with a triple phase are few and far between though since the stars need to align for everything to work perfectly to see epic storms of such magnitude. But a triple phase does not = monster storm just like a two phase system doesn't = big storm. You can also get epic storms with no phasing at all. There is no recipe for success with winter storms.

Chinook on our forums has an awesome page of phasing storms. http://www.greatlake...ing_Storms.html

I would say so. Just an epic phase. Pure weather pron.

The pure size of the southern vortex is incredible. Vortex-vortex mergers are incredibly rare.

jan2427_1978_500_loop.gif

Amazing how that storm managed to happen looking at that Pacific which looks VERY familiar. Thus crappy. That indeed was a thread the needle event!

Archived