Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 26-27 Potential Snow Event

Hoosier

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully this thing produces some measurable snow somewhere...anywhere in the region. Fingers crossed.

Don't want to count the chickens before they hatch but if this storm were to pan out as the models are showing now, we'd finish the year with above average snow despite +5.1 Nov and +5.4 December to date. That would be something.

The big discrepancies come hour 60-72 in how the NAM handles the incoming Pacific shortwave. NAM essentially has a much more amplified wave with a portion of the energy digging onto the backside of the cutoff upper low and acting as a stronger kicker wave. The end result is a fuller phase. (Note the backside shortwave across the high plains). GFS and every other piece of guidance has the Pacific wave remaining a single entity across the Canadian border and never fully phases the two systems.

NAM: post-999-0-01545200-1324700486.gif

GFS: post-999-0-79930600-1324700486.gif

NAM would truly be pulling a coupe. It is possible but I am highly skeptical anything close to the NAM pans out until global guidance suggests something similar. NAM trying to handle Pacific waves near the edge of its boundary conditions usually does not equate to success. Throw in the seasonal trends and the NAM solution seems the least likely by quite a bit. Doesn't mean it can't happen though.

Holy crap is right. That's an awesome map sequence, BI. It brings back memories. Imagine GHD snow with blizzard or near-blizzard conditions for a full day over a large area.

Amazing how that storm managed to happen looking at that Pacific which looks VERY familiar. Thus crappy. That indeed was a thread the needle event!

Probably one of the most epic phases ever. Hard to beat that. Only reason Superstorm 1993 was more "epic" was because the southern stream PV was already in the GOM, and that storm affected a much broader population area. It was also absolutely massive. 1978 was definitely more impressive overall in terms of pure upper air dynamics, at least IMO.

Probably one of the most epic phases ever. Hard to beat that. Only reason Superstorm 1993 was more "epic" was because the southern stream PV was already in the GOM, and that storm affected a much broader population area. It was also absolutely massive. 1978 was definitely more impressive overall in terms of pure upper air dynamics, at least IMO.

I still have a bad leftover taste in my mouth with 1993. For most of the week it had looked like a massive blizzard where i was at. Atleast per TWC and the local guys it did. Typically when a system forms in that part of the GULF ( atleast that i had followed over the years leading up to this storm ) it has always been a snow event but ala this beast had it's own ideas. A very interesting 24hrs that day despite missing the heavy duty snows. Started out with a quick thump of some very heavy wet snow ( 2-4 ) and then a very heavy rain and high winds ( 60-70mph ) with temps that blasted into the 60s and even some severe wx and once the low passed by ( almost over head/a shade west ) those temps crashed harder then i have ever seen and the rain turned back to snow and dumped another 4-5" with blizzard conditions and temps that fell into the single digits/teens. At one point had a blizzard warning going along with a tornado watch/and warnings everywhere. Also had a coastal flood warning, high wind warning too.

I still have a bad leftover taste in my mouth with 1993. For most of the week it had looked like a massive blizzard where i was at. Atleast per TWC and the local guys it did. Typically when a system forms in that part of the GULF ( atleast that i had followed over the years leading up to this storm ) it has always been a snow event but ala this beast had it's own ideas. A very interesting 24hrs that day despite missing the heavy duty snows. Started out with a quick thump of some very heavy wet snow ( 2-4 ) and then a very heavy rain and high winds ( 60-70mph ) with temps that blasted into the 60s and even some severe wx and once the low passed by ( almost over head/a shade west ) those temps crashed harder then i have ever seen and the rain turned back to snow and dumped another 4-5" with blizzard conditions and temps that fell into the single digits/teens. At one point had a blizzard warning going along with a tornado watch/and warnings everywhere. Also had a coastal flood warning, high wind warning too.

Missing the heaviest snow from that storm would have been disappointing, but it would have been awesome watching those transitions take place. :guitar:

Best transistion day around here that I remember is 1/29/08

My favorite is Feb 11 '99. We hit 69 at noon shortly before a line of severe storms hit. Was down to 36 by 4pm, and had flurries by 6pm.

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=lotrad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=50&interval=5&year=1999&month=2&day=11&hour=13&minute=0

The STL obs from that day are hard to beat. Temp in the 70's at noon and 28/light snow at 3:30 PM.

Anyway, 00z Euro looks fairly similar at 72 hours.

Here we went from thunderstorms to blizzard conditions in a matter of hours.

0z Euro is a bit stronger at the sfc but not much difference from the 12z run or close to the NAM.

Here we went from thunderstorms to blizzard conditions in a matter of hours.

0z Euro is a bit stronger at the sfc but not much difference from the 12z run or close to the NAM.

Oh it is a improvement over the 12z run for sure. A couple of inches perhaps for N.IN into S.MI. .25+ line runs from near LAF/South Bend to Here/Lansing and Saginaw. 12z had basically squat and thus well to the se of here.

Oh it is a improvement over the 12z run for sure. A couple of inches perhaps for N.IN into S.MI. .25+ line runs from near LAF/South Bend to Here/Lansing and Saginaw. 12z had basically squat and thus well to the se of here.

whoops my bad, what i get for glancing at maps after midnight.

Now that I look at some more things it is better. Looks like LAF does indeed pick up a few inches of wet snow.

whoops my bad, what i get for glancing at maps after midnight.

Now that I look at some more things it is better. Looks like LAF does indeed pick up a few inches of wet snow.

It's ensembles has been for the most part hanging tough the past few days with the sort of track/pecip the euro showed tonight. Yes the OP has been east of the ensembles for a few runs now. A number of them are a bit stronger with the surface low as well and take it into IN/OH/Erie. Will be interesting to see what they do tonight in about another hour or so.

Might as well lock in our new record low seasonal snowfall. Just not our year. Everything passing by on all sides or else fading as it approaches.

Hope for another GHD miracle because outside that I don't see much hope. Missing our climo boat now in a nina and when the flip comes good luck outside of the **** end of a clipper or a late march storm if we're real behaved until then. Thank gawd there is no better city or state in the MW to live in or I'd be long gone to the new snow magnum of detroit.

Archived