Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Central PA Thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. I got this from a screen shot of a program called weatherscope which I actually learned about from easternuswx. A great program that lets you visualize all the NWS observations, among other things. You can view maps like this for any time all the way back 30-40 years and make loops too. I highly recommend it to any weather nerd out there!

weatherscope:

http://www.mesonet.o...r/weatherscope/

It takes a little getting used to the UI, but just play around with it and you'll get the hang of it.

Epic Win... TY for the link!

We got quite a bit of rain overnight, coming down in sheets around 5 a.m.-7a .m.

I have a feeling our temps in the LSV near the river aren't going to crash.

My thoughts:

MDT: 1"

JST: 5"

CTP: 4"

IPT: 3"

LNS: .5"

ALT: 5"

Our temps dropped pretty decent overnight and have dropped about 2-3 (edit i put wrong numbers in) degrees since i have been at work. so i'm buying it right now.

MDT- 1-3"

JST- 5-8"

CTP- 2-4"

IPT - 3-5"

LNS- T-1"

I don't see anything wrong about that map, at least in our area. Maybe even somewhat underdone in the higher elevations.

Anyway, it will be all about temperatures regarding how much snow people see. We have plenty of moisture. Below are the 7am temperatures and the latest 12z 850mb freezing line based on soundings.

post-1406-0-58445800-1323261738.png

Compared to the modeling at the same time (6z NAM)...

post-1406-0-53762200-1323261900.png

Looks like the actual observations are a smidge colder than the NAM's 6 hour forecast. Good news for snow changeover in my mind.

Nice temp map!, what site did that come from if I may inquire?

Thanks

Looks like some nice action could be starting across the I-99/219 corridor later this afternoon and through tonight, as a nice finger of heavy snow and lift develops over the region with the developing low, and then spreading east as the cold air filters in. I still think the heaviest snow overall will be near I-81 but I could be wrong since models are getting more impressive with the storm further west. All in all I think it's a 3-6" storm for places like State College, Altoona, Williamsport and 4-8" for places further southeast.

Other PSU meteo students/grads will understand this. I actually have my campus weather service shift tonight at 10-when the snow will be really coming down. Should be fun...don't know how much I'll be able to focus on the forecast itself though!

I've been there! I had a late night shift last year and one time there was a borderline ice storm (temps hovering around 32 with rain). That was a fun time, plus us shift workers who were of age would stop at cafe 210 for their happy hour before our forecasts were made haha. :drunk:

Temps here holding at 43. I am looking for the temperature to start dropping around 2-3pm.

Other PSU meteo students/grads will understand this. I actually have my campus weather service shift tonight at 10-when the snow will be really coming down. Should be fun...don't know how much I'll be able to focus on the forecast itself though!

Same here. I have the shift before you at 4:30pm, right when it'll be changing over. :popcorn:

I've been there! I had a late night shift last year and one time there was a borderline ice storm (temps hovering around 32 with rain). That was a fun time, plus us shift workers who were of age would stop at cafe 210 for their happy hour before our forecasts were made haha. :drunk:

Temps here holding at 43. I am looking for the temperature to start dropping around 2-3pm.

Same here. I have the shift before you at 4:30pm, right when it'll be changing over. :popcorn:

Ha, that's great stuff. I bet the top floor lounge area with the giant wall of screens will be hoppin'

You guys seen the RUC? nice.

That explains alot! :D

Archived