• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
Central PA Thread

Eskimo Joe

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but, JB says he is going with the NAM. Says GFS has phasing issues.

Boy i'd love to see the Euro come out with something along the lines of the UKMET. Not sure what to think about the amounts that JB has on his map. I personally think he's probably a category too high.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of totals is it putting out zach. Looking at the graphic earthlight had up looks drier.

Euro had at least the majority of about 0.75 as snow for ipt this go around..0.3 of rain beforehand. This run got Pit and Latrobe involved (0.8 for Latrobe!). Temps/changeovers gonna be a pain in the butt. Harrisburg has a whopping single 6 hour period of 0.71 of precip with temps supportive of snow or a changover to snow within that period.

Euro had at least the majority of about 0.75 as snow for ipt this go around..0.3 of rain beforehand. This run got Pit and Latrobe involved (0.8 for Latrobe!). Temps/changeovers gonna be a pain in the butt. Harrisburg has a whopping single 6 hour period of 0.71 of precip with temps supportive of snow or a changover to snow within that period.

1-2" per hr thundersnow maybe?

New CTP thoughts:

Updated map as of about 1:30am

post-1507-0-71363900-1323241086.png

Updated near term:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 8 AM THIS MORNING/...

AT 06Z..SFC OBS AND RUC DATA SUGGEST WK WAVE OF LOW PRES IS BTWN

SEG AND RDG...WITH TRAILING WAVY FRONTAL BNDRY TRAILING TO THE SW

ALONG THE APPALACHIANS. AREAS OF DZ AND LGT RAIN WILL PERSIST IN

MOST AREAS PRIOR TO 08Z BEFORE RAIN SHIELD SURGING NEWD ACRS WV

OVERSPREADS THE SRN 1/2 TO 1/3 OF THE CWA. SATL ANAL AND TRENDS

SHOW THE MID-UPPER LOW TRACKING EWD ACRS ERN OK/NE TX/WRN AR

BEGINNING TO INTENSIFY AS IT PHASES WITH 150KT JET ACRS THE SE

U.S. WV LOOPS SHOWS THE UPPER TROUGH DIGGING TWD THE LWR TN VLY

WITH DOWNSTREAM IR ENHANCEMENT/COOLING CLOUD TOPS ALONG THE

S-CENTRAL APPALACHIANS FM TN TO WV WITH STRENGTHENING UPPER LVL

DIFL. RDR TRENDS APPEAR TO BE AHEAD OF NEAR TERM MDL GUID WHICH IS

NOT SURPRISING GIVEN THE PROGRESSIVE NATURE OF THIS SYS AND DEEP

WAA OUT AHEAD OF THE H5 TROUGH. RDR TRENDS ALSO SUGGEST THE QPF

AXIS MAY BE SETTING UP A LITTLE FURTHER N THAN DEPICTED BY THE

GUID. HOURLY TEMPERATURES HAVE FALLEN INTO THE UPPER 30S BEHIND

THE FRONT OVR THE LAUREL HIGHLANDS AND NW MTNS...BUT READINGS

SHOULD STAY ABV THE FZG MARK. HIGHEST POPS THROUGH 12Z ARE OVR

THE SRN TIER WITH 6-HR QPF AMTS LKLY IN THE 0.25 TO 0.50 INCH

RANGE PER MDL BLEND.

Not quite sure of there being a gaping hole in snow totals in true central PA, map def seems to be favoring what the 21z SREFs were doing with snow probs. Should be an interesting day later today. Given what the ECMWF just threw out, this axis might be a lil thin on the nw side too.

New CTP thoughts:

Updated map as of about 1:30am

post-1507-0-71363900-1323241086.png

Updated near term:

Not quite sure of there being a gaping hole in snow totals in true central PA, map def seems to be favoring what the 21z SREFs were doing with snow probs. Should be an interesting day later today. Given what the ECMWF just threw out, this axis might be a lil too southeast too.

CTP hugs the SREFS. Plus I don't see the storm moving faster. Looks right on track to me so far.

0Z NAM had some precip coming in about 4 a.m. looks about right.

I don't see anything wrong about that map, at least in our area. Maybe even somewhat underdone in the higher elevations.

Anyway, it will be all about temperatures regarding how much snow people see. We have plenty of moisture. Below are the 7am temperatures and the latest 12z 850mb freezing line based on soundings.

post-1406-0-58445800-1323261738.png

Compared to the modeling at the same time (6z NAM)...

post-1406-0-53762200-1323261900.png

Looks like the actual observations are a smidge colder than the NAM's 6 hour forecast. Good news for snow changeover in my mind.

Looks like the actual observations are a smidge colder than the NAM's 6 hour forecast. Good news for snow changeover in my mind.

I took a look at the actual soundings out of Pittsburgh, Albany, and Buffalo, and they weren't actually all that far off the NAM's 'forecast'.

The NAM had Albany maybe 0.5°C too warm, Pittsburgh maybe 0.2°C too warm, and Buffalo about 0.2°C too cold.

Jminster...great maps. Nice to see we are a pinch cooler than modeled. I was looking back randomly for the link to the first map w/ actual temps and cant find it. Might you be able to hook me up with that link? Thanks much.

Nut

Thanks. I got this from a screen shot of a program called weatherscope which I actually learned about from easternuswx. A great program that lets you visualize all the NWS observations, among other things. You can view maps like this for any time all the way back 30-40 years and make loops too. I highly recommend it to any weather nerd out there!

weatherscope:

http://www.mesonet.org/index.php/weather/weatherscope/

It takes a little getting used to the UI, but just play around with it and you'll get the hang of it.

Archived