• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Central PA Thread

Eskimo Joe

Wow at your temp. I'm currently at 36F here in extreme north central pa. Fog and drizzle here in the north central mountains tonight.

Hoping the storm trends just at bit more (50 miles) to the NW.

Officially 45 here in State College, so you can see the cold air is filtering south. More of a NW trend and we'll have more mixing issues...it's tough to get everyone in on an event when there is so little cold air available from the start.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any thoughts Mag?

Here they come in the form of a map.

post-1507-0-68835700-1323232837.png

The maps not really as crazy as it might look. I anticipate a pretty decent area of Central PA to see generally 3-6 inches of snow. The Laurels and the Poconos will probably see more like 6-10 inches of snow. I have the Laurels pegged as the region that will likely see some of the highest PA amounts from this system.. and I wouldn't be surprised to see the highest locations see a foot or so. I extended a dashed zone where some 6+ inch amounts might show up here and there, like on the Brush/Bald Eagle and Tussey ridges, Seven Mountains, and Philipsburg in extreme western Centre just up the road from Jamie. Most difficult part is the Lower Sus Valley, where getting things turned over in a timely fashion is still up for debate. I have noticed on SREF snow accum probs that they really decrease between the Laurels and Pocono's likely giving the hat tip to a later changeover. Put the 3 inch line pretty much over Harrisburg. Kept southeastern 1 inch line NW of Philly (though I do anticipate philly changing over at the end and perhaps getting a coating). Went wide with northwestern 1 inch line to account for latest trends a bit NW with QPF.

As far as headlines, CTP is currently set up with its watches in high elevation counties to throw in a widespread advisory later along the heavy snow axis..most likely for snow of the 3-5" variety. Will be interesting to see if they expand any watches/warnings to any other counties. Cambria would be a good candidate.

The maps not really as crazy as it might look. I anticipate a pretty decent area of Central PA to see generally 3-6 inches of snow. The Laurels and the Poconos will probably see more like 6-10 inches of snow. I have the Laurels pegged as the region that will likely see some of the highest PA amounts from this system.. and I wouldn't be surprised to see the highest locations see a foot or so. I extended a dashed zone where some 6+ inch amounts might show up here and there, like on the Brush/Bald Eagle and Tussey ridges, Seven Mountains, and Philipsburg in extreme western Centre just up the road from Jamie. Most difficult part is the Lower Sus Valley, where getting things turned over in a timely fashion is still up for debate. I have noticed on SREF snow accum probs that they really decrease between the Laurels and Pocono's likely giving the hat tip to a later changeover. Put the 3 inch line pretty much over Harrisburg. Kept southeastern 1 inch line NW of Philly (though I do anticipate philly changing over at the end and perhaps getting a coating). Went wide with northwestern 1 inch line to account for latest trends a bit NW with QPF.

As far as headlines, CTP is currently set up with its watches in high elevation counties to throw in a widespread advisory later along the heavy snow axis..most likely for snow of the 3-5" variety. Will be interesting to see if they expand any watches/warnings to any other counties. Cambria would be a good candidate.

Lol, I very much like your map!

Almost looks like mine. :)

I was discussing this in the Pittsburgh thread...KPIT is handling this horribly, IMO. Take a look at Mag's map. JST and Ligoneer are in or near his 6-10 zone. State College has Johnstown at about 3-6 inches, with 100% POP's for Wednesday and Wednesday night...seems reasonable.

Here is the Ligoneer forecast, in the Laurel's mind you, from KPIT.

Overnight: A slight chance of showers. Areas of dense fog. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 34. West wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Wednesday: A chance of rain showers before 5pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 37. Northwest wind between 7 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Wednesday Night: A chance of snow showers, mainly before 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. West wind between 7 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible

I mean, that is wretched, IMO. That are is probably looking at a great chance of a warning level event, and you are that far out to lunch??? I don't get it.

The Pittsburgh metro forecast is just as bad. Not even a mention of any precip at all in either the AFD or the point and click. They did this on the October event as well...kept saying nothing, and then, all of a sudden, a lot of the metro got 2 inches of snow.

Poor, poor job by KPIT, IMO.

I was discussing this in the Pittsburgh thread...KPIT is handling this horribly, IMO. Take a look at Mag's map. JST and Ligoneer are in or near his 6-10 zone. State College has Johnstown at about 3-6 inches, with 100% POP's for Wednesday and Wednesday night...seems reasonable.

Here is the Ligoneer forecast, in the Laurel's mind you, from KPIT.

I mean, that is wretched, IMO. That are is probably looking at a great chance of a warning level event, and you are that far out to lunch??? I don't get it.

The Pittsburgh metro forecast is just as bad. Not even a mention of any precip at all in either the AFD or the point and click. They did this on the October event as well...kept saying nothing, and then, all of a sudden, a lot of the metro got 2 inches of snow.

Poor, poor job by KPIT, IMO.

Pit had its mountain portions of fayette and westmoreland in Winter Storm Warnings this afternoon I thought. I can't dial up a point and click with more than an inch or two. The top of Laurel mountain of all places has little or no accums for both wed and wed night in the point and click. Did they drop the warnings? And if they did...wtf??

Pit had its mountain portions of fayette and westmoreland in Winter Storm Warnings this afternoon I thought. I can't dial up a point and click with more than an inch or two. The top of Laurel mountain of all places has little or no accums for both wed and wed night in the point and click. Did they drop the warnings? And if they did...wtf??

I don't think they ever did...they did for their Maryland counties, but not for any PA counties.

You are correct. They mention WV and Maryland but not Pa in their discussion.

What I find odd is the Canadian has decent precip for Western Pa but mostly rain changing to snow late when the precip is ending and the heavier swath of snow is in the mountains and Altoona,Johnstown area.

Regardless, Nws Pitt is going to have to give us a new forcast of rain showers changing to snow showers late at least. I am guessing a grassy area accumulation around greater pit.

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

I don't think they ever did...they did for their Maryland counties, but not for any PA counties.

Hmm i think your right, at any rate I really didn't realize that they had such low amounts there in their grids. I looked at Laurel Summit, a location that I anticipate might have one of the higher totals in PA from this storm.. and they had "little or no accum" for both wed and wed night. Jennerstown just off the mountain in Somerset, has 4-7 in an updated point and click and 5-9 in Somerset and Boswell. That's pretty wild haha.

Archived