amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA Thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha, that's great stuff. I bet the top floor lounge area with the giant wall of screens will be hoppin'

You guys seen the RUC? nice.

Yep. Might even walk over there from East if there's snow in the air. But yeah, the RUC looks great. One thing-how will the very wet ground impact accum? I assume the saturated ground will eat up some snow, at least until the rates get going. Hopefully the poor ski resort down the road from here will finally get a base of snow that they can build on with manmade snow...

Where did you read that? Looks like a change over around 7 p.m. around here.

I'm not sure, i think another thread! I knew you had said between 7-9, so i just wanted to confirm and maybe plan my beer drinking around that. :pimp: . So you're saying about 3-5 hours of heavy snow maybe, should be over then after midnight-ish

Yep. Might even walk over there from East if there's snow in the air. But yeah, the RUC looks great. One thing-how will the very wet ground impact accum? I assume the saturated ground will eat up some snow, at least until the rates get going. Hopefully the poor ski resort down the road from here will finally get a base of snow that they can build on with manmade snow...

Learned you can never really tell how wet ground impacts things. Sometimes it does, other times not so much. It didn't seem to that much in October even after temps in the 60s a few days before.

BTW, whoa, look at that bright banding to our west and south.

Count me in!!

How about somewhere around Lewistown on the 322 corridor???

Good idea. We can talk more once the weather calms down.

Learned you can never really tell how wet ground impacts things. Sometimes it does, other times not so much. It didn't seem to that much in October even after temps in the 60s a few days before.

BTW, whoa, look at that bright banding to our west and south.

Good idea. We can talk more once the weather calms down.

Bright banding? Seems way too early for there to be that kinda stuff. Maybe to the west I can believe it, where UL temps are cooler, but not to our south where 850s are well above 0C.

Bright banding? Seems way too early for there to be that kinda stuff. Maybe to the west I can believe it, where UL temps are cooler, but not to our south where 850s are well above 0C.

I'm pretty sure it's bright banding. Check out scans at other angles. Freezing level looks to be about 7,000 feet or so out there.

I can believe those brightband signals we see. Bright banding is just the increased reflectivity that a radar detects from melting snow. The combination of ice and liquid together returns a stronger signal to the radar. If you really want to, you can calculate roughly the melting height by using the distance from the radar to the bright band area and also the inclination of the radar (0.5 degrees).

I can believe those brightband signals we see. Bright banding is just the increased reflectivity that a radar detects from melting snow. The combination of ice and liquid together returns a stronger signal to the radar. If you really want to, you can calculate roughly the melting height by using the distance from the radar to the bright band area and also the inclination of the radar (0.5 degrees).

Yeah, that makes sense. Johnstown's at 36 so the snow isn't far from the ground there. Also note the high reflectivity values over us on the composite radar-is there snow a few thousand feet above us that the higher-angle beams are catching melting?

My mom and sister went down I-88 -> I-81 all the way to Jonesville, PA today - probably leave there around 3:00 PM to head home. That changeover to snow could affect them somewhere along the higher spots on 81 either in PA or into NY State early evening. I'll watch this thread for any obs. As I recall it gets rather high on that road in places.

Hi.

My mom and sister went down I-88 -> I-81 all the way to Jonesville, PA today - probably leave there around 3:00 PM to head home. That changeover to snow could affect them somewhere along the higher spots on 81 either in PA or into NY State early evening. I'll watch this thread for any obs. As I recall it gets rather high on that road in places.

this will be helpful for you http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/Districts/DistrictGraphics.nsf/TrafficCamerasMap?OpenForm

Yeah. Not sure were Jonesville is but once you get above Ravine, I81 is 1k or more feet in elevation. Depending on how well Penny-Doofus-Dot does clearing the roads, expecting at least a moderate impact event. With temps continuing to fall as the storm moves out, def would pack smart.

Archived