joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Disco/Obs II

Isopycnic

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an incredible year for tornadoes/severe weather..but that's an understatement and saying the obvious to say the least.

Nothing like that where I live, although I did run into a white out up in gainesville on highway 53 going towards dawsonville. I was on the bridge at the peak and there had to be at least 50 mph gusts and combined with the incredibly heavy rain, you couldn't see the right side wall of the bridge from the left lane! Anyone who knows of that bridge knows that's a high bridge and the direction of the winds were going over the most water possible. I've always wondered how high winds could get on that bridge when the winds are from the SW over all the open water, combined with a somewhat funnel type effect with the higher ground surrounding the lake.

Ended up with 1.55 inches of much needed rain here at the house.

The Tornado that came through last night was 8 miles from my house. Their is one death and the little 4year old boy found out in the foeld several hours after the storm is in critical shape from what I hear. The debris field looked pretty extensive to me as I drove through(around) the area on the way into work this morning. I'll be able to see better this afternoon on the way home if I can get out of here before sunset.

No severe weather in Hickory, but a nice amount of rain over the past two days. 0.89 inches yesterday and 0.40 inches since midnight, so far, for a total of 1.29 inches. It's still lightly sprinkling outside. Snow back in eastern KY/TN this morning? Apps looking to get some snow showers today.

Next weekend is looking decent for our first shot of really cold air. Until then, I'll enjoy the milder temps. Actually, I don't think I'll get out of the 40s tomorrow, which is pretty wild considering the mild air that has been in place the last two/three days.

Was thinking the same thing. Forecast lows into the upper 20 tonight for this area.

No severe weather in Hickory, but a nice amount of rain over the past two days. 0.89 inches yesterday and 0.40 inches since midnight, so far, for a total of 1.29 inches. It's still lightly sprinkling outside. Snow back in eastern KY/TN this morning? Apps looking to get some snow showers today.

Next weekend is looking decent for our first shot of really cold air. Until then, I'll enjoy the milder temps. Actually, I don't think I'll get out of the 40s tomorrow, which is pretty wild considering the mild air that has been in place the last two/three days.

We are just getting the information into the newsroom that 1 adult and 1 child have died in Davidson county. I don't know any more information. Makes my heart ache.

The Tornado that came through last night was 8 miles from my house. Their is one death and the little 4year old boy found out in the foeld several hours after the storm is in critical shape from what I hear. The debris field looked pretty extensive to me as I drove through(around) the area on the way into work this morning. I'll be able to see better this afternoon on the way home if I can get out of here before sunset.

We are just getting the information into the newsroom that 1 adult and 1 child have died in Davidson county. I don't know any more information. Makes my heart ache.

Here is a link to a morning update on the Davidson/Randolph County Storm. Thoughts & Prayers going out that way.

http://www.the-dispatch.com/article/20111116/BREAKING/111119953/1074?Title=Storm-causes-major-damage-in-central-Davidson-County

Been snowing here for about 45 min. It is starting to stick. I am amazed at how fast the weather can change up here.

I really get sad when I hear a child has been killed.

The loss of life this year has been just ridiculous. Even more so when you consider how many advances in technology we have developed that allow us to warn people sooner and easier.

Yep, same here. My heart just sank when I was told that a few minutes ago.

What an awful, awful tornado year.

The loss of life this year has been just ridiculous. Even more so when you consider how many advances in technology we have developed that allow us to warn people sooner and easier.

Really its just been bad luck, I know that sounds cliche but even with all the advances we have had there are still hundreds of thousands of homes throughout the country that cant take a hit from a EF3 much less all the 4-5's this year has had. Then on top of all that look how many major metro areas took hits from large long lived EF3-5....to me that is what is truely ridiculous. Its rare to get a big tornado in a large city this year we have had 10-15 at least. The number of dead from tornados this year just show that the good luck finally ran out :thumbsdown:

This makes my heart sad :( Thoughts and prayers to all the families affected by the storms last night. :hug:

I picked up .60 last night :weight_lift: That's twice as much as I had hoped for. :wub:

Huge rain event here with 4.4'' in the bucket.

Lot of water still standing.

We're probably not far from that.

The storm hit right as I was picking up the kids from daycare at 5:00. Very close lightning strikes. Hit a power pole about 100 ft away while sitting at a light with sparks flying. Took the light offline for a few seconds. Then the immense downpour began a only couple of minutes before getting home. Could barely see the road and missed the road I was turning onto and drove into a neighbor's yard. LOL

Got around 2 1/2 inches from Tuesday and yesterday, what a system.

Currently the temp is 36 and it is SNOWING!!!!!! Not much but it is the first flakes of the season.

I also wanted to say my prayers are going out to everyone effected by yesterday's tornadoes, this awful year just keeps on going.

We're probably not far from that.

The storm hit right as I was picking up the kids from daycare at 5:00. Very close lightning strikes. Hit a power pole about 100 ft away while sitting at a light with sparks flying. Took the light offline for a few seconds. Then the immense downpour began a only couple of minutes before getting home. Could barely see the road and missed the road I was turning onto and drove into a neighbor's yard. LOL

Sounds kinda scary Wow! Glad everyone on your end is ok.

The 6Z GFS verbatim shows snow flurries in the 11 days out range as far south as north Georgia and Alabama. It's a long way out but the GFS and EURO both show a healthy spike of cold air with a deep trough moving on in about this time.

360 and 384 hr have a decent setup for a snowstorm in the southern Apps and close call in TN Valley and damming regions for a mix. No need to discuss much since its so far out. The big thing is just how often we will keep getting precip events to come through the Southeast. The exiting system wasn't shown too well but I was on guard for a decent even since the sw low had to get ejected out and the Bermuda ridge steered it right to us, and we will repeat this kind of pattern a couple more times in the 10 day. The pattern looks to go toward a Spring like one, with sharp changes and 2 Cut-offs or very deep troughs in the East, despite the ensembles being wrong a good bit lately with torching Southeast. We have a tendency to sharpen up ejecting s/w in the zonal flow, with good rain coverage in Ok, Mo and points east, and unfortunately a good chance at more severe weather is coming up for the same general areas, so we're probably not done with tornadoes and severe outbreaks. Now that colder air can get involved, snow on the backside is possible (like now) and once one of these closes off deeply and far south, some areas outside the mountains could see snow later this month. Definitely not a boring dry pattern. Its been a very wet year here, despite a pretty strong Nina...almost as good as most Nino's . This rain event was 1.92" and some parts of the county are now 50" on the year, very close to mby.

Archived