• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
November Discussion

DaculaWeather

Based on Allan's Analogs for this winter, when November was warmer than average (62.7 for the high) we had great winters for RDU, which I assume translates somewhat to the rest of the SE. When it was a cool November the winters were not good. So we should be rooting for a warm November. Also, I just ran some numbers using the Euro's forecasted high's for the next 10 days and than assumed we would be at average the last 10 or so days of November and RDU will roughly be at an average high of 65, I think we will be colder than average the last week of November so I think we will end up around 64 for the average high for November, but we will see.

Nov 1950 - 60 (1.2")

Nov 1955 - 60 (2")

Nov 1961 - 63 (14.8" - 200% normal)

Nov 1970 - 59 (5.9")

Nov 2010 - 64 (9")

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1999 was only a great winter because of two weeks of snow and cold. The rest of the winter was rather warm.

That is a great winter in my book :-). From mid to end of January it was winterfest around here and than it warmed up. I don't want below average temps for 3 straight months, I though 2009/2010 winter was terrible, RDU was below average in snowfall where everyone else around us (N/S/E/W) was above average for snow and yet we had to put up with frigid temps. No thank you on that one.

Based on Allan's Analogs for this winter, when November was warmer than average (62.7 for the high) we had great winters for RDU, which I assume translates somewhat to the rest of the SE. When it was a cool November the winters were not good. So we should be rooting for a warm November. Also, I just ran some numbers using the Euro's forecasted high's for the next 10 days and than assumed we would be at average the last 10 or so days of November and RDU will roughly be at an average high of 65, I think we will be colder than average the last week of November so I think we will end up around 64 for the average high for November, but we will see.

Nov 1950 - 60 (1.2")

Nov 1955 - 60 (2")

Nov 1961 - 63 (14.8" - 200% normal)

Nov 1970 - 59 (5.9")

Nov 2010 - 64 (9")

Larry did some great research on this in the past and showed winters in general are pretty crappy after a warm november..especially here in ga where it's harder to get snow/ice than in nc.

hmmm....

Both major models have an east based -NAO developing and as we get deeper into November the cold air is going to build rapidly and a piece of the Arctic Vortex will slide into Canada (maybe). I am leaning toward the cold arriving here around the last week of Nov or the first of Dec. (speaking of the below normal type cold). One thing that continues to amaze me from looking at the big picture is just how strong and numerous the shortwaves are in the flow. If that continues, it will make things very interesting later on.

post-38-0-47498300-1320807126.gif

Yea. Looks like the cold will be building into late november and when the pattern finally swings in our favor we could be looking at some really cold temps. And re: foothills post, I like our chances at an interesting december if those s/w keep on trucking once we get some arctic air down in the south.

There is sure a great amount of pessimism going around on this board.

Here are some quotes from last year on this board:

"There is little doubt that it will be noticeably cooler this weekend over the warmth we are experiencing now. But it won't be nearly as bad as initially forecast." Nov 22

"Been extremely warm here today. 70 degrees, record at Knoxville is 77 for today and we are generally 3-5 degrees colder than Knoxville. So today is very close to record territory imby." Nov 12

"the Atlantic -NAO will be doing battle with the -EPO in pacific so the flow will buckle such that zonal or southwest winds will encompass most of the East , especially the Southeast until the flow can change, which it will probably do just after Thanksgiving or near there. If we got intoa a +pna pattern, while the block is still there , say in early december, then the southeast or eastern states will have its first shot at a Winter storm of some type. " Nov 14

"The big transition to that would be Thanksgiving Day, with a strong southwest flow, one or more overrunning events around this strong Arctic Boundary. With low level cold across the Tenn/Ohio Valley, I'd expect the first Winter event to our west and northwest. Heres my very, very preliminary guess." Nov 15

"Well....if that's coming off record warmth, if we can't get snow, maybe some late season severe activity will suffice." Nov 15

"Does this mean it will never get cold?" Nov 15

"Watching the models regularly now in regards to the post Thanksgiving period. Noticing with consistency 2 things that as always are subject to change." (Nov 15)

"Also, I didn't say the block wasn't going to happen, I think it is. However, I don't think its going to be as dramatic as this model run shows. Remember, this is still WAY out there in la-la land. " (Nov 16)

"looking like after tgiving to early dec could be cold....i just hope that isnt the only cold all winter" (Nov 17)

After reading through the thread, it was not till mid- November when the notion of colder air/ wintry precipitation was being widely spoken about. So we are talking about it earlier than last year. Obviously the dynamics for this winter are different so, I guess one has to take last years events with a grain of salt when relating to this winter.

1999-2000 was a notoriously warm year for a lot of the east. You probably got in on the same wintry period we did from mid to late January.

It may have been warm, but wintry precipitation was observed across portions of the South east.

January 17-18, 2000:

accum.20000118.gif

January 22-23, 2000 (precip totals):

jan23map.jpg

January 24-25, 2000 (precip totals):

jan24snow.jpg

That January storm was the greatest snow I have ever seen in Greensboro in my life. I still remember the thunder snow and 2 inch snow flakes. And lol less then 6 hours earlier only was expecting a inch and couldn't open my door the next morning! Sorry to reminisce : )

MONSTER storm getting ready to hit Alaska, called "epic" http://www.foxnews.c...test=latestnews

Yeah, there's a couple of posts in the banter thread on this. Here's what I found to be interesting in a related article on yahoo...

Posing an additional threat is the lack of sea ice off northwestern Alaska, forecasters said. The last time a storm of a similar magnitude was sent in the same northward direction was 1974, but the sea surface was much more frozen then, Brown said. "History tells that the sea ice helps subdue the storm surge," Brown said. "With no sea ice there, we could see the full brunt of that 6- to 9-foot storm surge." Arctic sea ice this year reached the second-lowest coverage since satellite records began in 1979, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colorado. "Forty years ago, a big storm like this would come through and the sea ice would act as sort of a buffer," said Mark Serreze, director of the Snow and Ice Data Center. "The Bering Sea has and always will have these strong storms. What is different now is their potential destructiveness as you lose the sea ice cover," he added.

Both major models have an east based -NAO developing and as we get deeper into November the cold air is going to build rapidly and a piece of the Arctic Vortex will slide into Canada (maybe).

Yeah, the Euro Op run overnight is sending a series of cutoff lows toward the western Europe coastline....which is evidence that the mean flow (at least on this run) is setting up farther north in -NAO fashion.

Archived