joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2011 Winter Banter Thread

yoda

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Christ, I can see it already. Historic northern MA and SNE Oct snow and we get 3 flakes as the rain tapers off.

It's possible, but everyone's going to have boundary layer temp issues. Hence elevation will help and those of us in the lowlands need some big dynamics (which a bombing storm can provide) to help.

Just recall that the PSU Hoffman storm last year had similar concerns right up until gametime. Yes I realize that was late January instead of later October, but we were expecting that to be a highly elevation dependent storm up until about 24hrs out. Temps were still a bit above freezing in the lowest couple hundred feet for the entire snowfall.

It's possible, but everyone's going to have boundary layer temp issues. Hence elevation will help and those of us in the lowlands need some big dynamics (which a bombing storm can provide) to help.

Just recall that the PSU Hoffman storm last year had similar concerns right up until gametime. Yes I realize that was late January instead of later October, but we were expecting that to be a highly elevation dependent storm up until about 24hrs out. Temps were still a bit above freezing in the lowest couple hundred feet for the entire snowfall.

Yea, I'm not expecting much but I'm also a bit selfish. We had 09-10.....they had 10-11......i don't want them having 11-12. If it's not going to be good here then I hope it's not good up there either.

I think that's true but north of us has a better chance to get accumulations since they start out colder.

I think that's true but north of us has a better chance to get accumulations since they start out colder.

Yeah, a bit. I thought he was talking about the DC-BOS corridor specifically, and I think all the major I-95 cities are going to have similar issues, except maybe BOS.

Just a "There's Always a First Time" anecdote...

When I lived in central TX a few years ago, the MM5 was calling for 4-5" of snow for the upcoming Sunday on a Friday morning. This was in early April (Easter weekend). That would not only have shattered the latest measurable snowfall on record, but would also be one of the largest snowfalls in the area in over a decade. We all had a good laugh at work that Friday.

Sunday morning there was 4" of snow.

Just a "There's Always a First Time" anecdote...

When I lived in central TX a few years ago, the MM5 was calling for 4-5" of snow for the upcoming Sunday on a Friday morning. This was in early April (Easter weekend). That would not only have shattered the latest measurable snowfall on record, but would also be one of the largest snowfalls in the area in over a decade. We all had a good laugh at work that Friday.

Sunday morning there was 4" of snow.

you know, there's all this talk about climo prevents us from getting snow regardless of what the models say is a bit overdone

I mean the models are being fed all info necessary, the same info they get in the winter

it may not snow, but I don't believe the models should be given any less weight now than we would give them in 2 months if they were showing a snow storm, especially when you consider the relative consensus

you know, there's all this talk about climo prevents us from getting snow regardless of what the models say is a bit overdone

I mean the models are being fed all info necessary, the same info they get in the winter

it may not snow, but I don't believe the models should be given any less weight now than we would give them in 2 months if they were showing a snow storm, especially when you consider the relative consensus

Most of the standard weenie reasons that snow won't accumulate are wrong...sun angle, ground too warm, etc...

With that snowfall in TX, temps were in the 70s a couple days before. We hadn't had a sub-freezing temperature in weeks. If the atmosphere is suitable for snowfall, than it can snow. If it snows steadily enough to cool down the immediate surface rapidly, then it will accumulate. Doesn't matter if it's June or January.

I live in Lynchburg and am heading up to Massenutten resort It's like 2900 feet. Should be pretty amazing event there. I had a free weekend w passes for the waterpark and they had an open slot!

You going up there this weekend Huff?

Is Massanutten really that high?

Edit, 2925 Peak of the mountain, nice

Archived