• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First Winter Storm Threat for New England 2011/12 - II

Baroclinic Zone

I like that vortmax diving se. The whole trough is almost shifted se just a tad on the SREF and NAM. As if the whole axis just slid se and brought the cold se too.

It keeps the system slower too...we want the bulk of the action to be after 00z to maximize the accumulation potential.

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we are doing a shot per inch at Mt Socks then I am in......shot per inch here in Lowell.....kinda boring.

Well I already do a shot for every special ed class I survive, so what's news?

Congrats Dobbs Ferry?

It is actually a close call here for Dobbs Ferry straddling the 540 line on the 0z NAM. I still think the NAM is going to shift north a little bit to come in line with the ECM, and the dynamics are probably overdone. Not a bad sign though.

Vaguely--but I think you remember it better than I. Nice to be on the north side of the 850 before the precip begins.....congrats pike south?

He said...... This is a classic example of how the Pacific pattern can trump the SE ridge in many areas, outside of the immediate Southeast. A strong ridge in the EPO position with a vortex in eastern Canada and a general positive tilt trough back into the Southwest is ideal for this, as it builds very high pressures over Canada, and these highs push low level cold underneath the ridging aloft (northerly flow in the low levels, but southwesterly aloft). So you have to obviously look at much more than the 500 mb pattern, and as always, watch your source regions!

He said...... This is a classic example of how the Pacific pattern can trump the SE ridge in many areas, outside of the immediate Southeast. A strong ridge in the EPO position with a vortex in eastern Canada and a general positive tilt trough back into the Southwest is ideal for this, as it builds very high pressures over Canada, and these highs push low level cold underneath the ridging aloft (northerly flow in the low levels, but southwesterly aloft). So you have to obviously look at much more than the 500 mb pattern, and as always, watch your source regions!

Yup--i'm remembering it now.

It's a treat to see the board lit up for potential accumulating snow in Oct. but honestly most of us (maybe not Pete) will be thrilled just to see a coating at this time of year. I know I will.

:snowman:

I'm psyched to have a legit threat on the table. I'm not sure thrilled for a coating would be a good description for me but the first flakes of a new season are always exciting and reason enough to celebrate and pay homage to Ullr. Most benevolent Ullr.

Archived