• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Go Time - First Winter Storm Threat for New England 2011/12

Baroclinic Zone

Yeah he first system is flat and leaves a powderkeg for the second low.

The euro ensembles show the op run as one of the farthest nw solutions fwiw. Given the dynamics in place and the gulf stream gun powder lurking...I wouldn't be shocked if something like the euro op were to happen. Not saying it will.....but it would not surprise me.

Exactly - good Met logic right there!

Dec 2005 split the thermal ribbon along the LI Sound. Big mid level wind max riding just N of the unusually strong baroclinic axis led to upright frontal slopes in the 500-700mb levels. UVV over the top triggered one hell of a delta-Q. All that rising air cause in-rushing jet response and that packed the thermal gradient even more. That was a feedback mechanic that allowed the NAM's superior grid processing to pick up on the NW storm track compared to the erstwhile SE runners.

By the way, as those UVVs punched a hole in the tropopause, triggering a fold, and then 110mph wind gusts in a kind of thermal wind, Wreck Of The Edmond Fitzgerald style underbelly restoring force raged... but that's 0T :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly - good Met logic right there!

Dec 2005 split the thermal ribbon along the LI Sound. Big mid level wind max riding just N of the unusually strong baroclinic axis led to upright frontal slopes in the 500-700mb levels. UVV over the top triggered one hell of a delta-Q. All that rising air cause in-rushing jet response and that packed the thermal gradient even more.

By the way, as those UVVs punched a hole in the tropopause, triggering a fold, and then 110mph wind gusts in a kind of thermal wind, Wreck Of The Edmond Fitzgerald style underbelly restoring force raged... but that's 0T :)

haha - whenever anyone makes reference to 12/9/05 and asks what it was like, i always think of that scene in twister when the dumb reporter lady asks everyone what an F5 would be like and the whole table goes silent.

:lol:

New BOX discussion is awesome...everyone should read it. I'll post the best part here. :weenie:

AS FOR POTENTIAL SNOWFALL BOTH THE NAM AND ECMWF OFFER THE POTENTIALFOR 6+ INCHES ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF MA AND SOUTHERN NHTHU/THU NIGHT. HOWEVER AT THIS TIME RANGE HAVE TO RESPECT THEFLATTER AND FASTER GFS/GEFS SOLUTION WHICH WOULD RESULT IN LESS QPFAND SNOWFALL. NEVERTHELESS IT/S STILL 72-84 HRS OUT SO WE MUST LEAVETHE DOOR OPEN FOR THIS SCENARIO AND OTHER SOLUTIONS/POSSIBILITIESSUCH AS SOMETHING CLOSER TO CLIMO WITH A STORM TRACK OVER OR NORTHOF THE FORECAST AREA. THIS WOULD YIELD A WARMER SOLUTION. HOWEVER ATTHIS TIME RANGE ITS FAIR TO SAY THE POTENTIAL EXIST FOR ANACCUMULATING SNOWFALL ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN.

By the way...and OT.... I was doing Disk Golf Sunday morning wearing my favorite shirt that Kevin is jealous over to the point of almost gayness...when this dude walked up and was like all "Woa, where did you get that t-shirt"....

Turned out he works at NWS Headquarters down Camp Spring Maryland; guess what his job title was? Forecast Verifications Division... ( lol ) that's what he called it.

His job, as he mused, was to course through all the busted NWS calls. I joked that he was the Meteorological equivalent to Internal Affairs.

The 12z JMA has the initial secondary low slightly further north than the other models but it also develops a Strong Nor'easter with the left over energy across the region, similar to the Euro. Interesting developments to say the least.

Exact track remains to be unseen but the possibility is def. there for a powerful powerhouse storm. The NAO/AO are slightly positive around this time frame with a slightly positive PNA and no 50/50 Low in place with a decent HP anomaly across Northern Quebec.

The 2M temps are warmer this run and the storm is not as strong... less northerly ageostrophic flow and a warmer boundary layer. -2 or -3c at 850 may not cut it.

It's probably only a really good clocking above 1200'. I'm not sure I can handle only MRG getting decent accumulations.

Archived