Newest Member
    northernriwx
Go Time - First Winter Storm Threat for New England 2011/12

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would SSTs affect the wind?

because the ocean contact with the atmosphere adds heat, destablizing the column, such that said heat rises and "turns-over" the atmosphere where downward motion compensating for said upward motion mixes down any low level jet velocities. it's a good way to get a lot of damage to Situate and Hull, the Cape and Islands this time of year.

actually looks like you can track some of hurricane rina getting infused in that.

Yeah the Euro is doing a terrible job with Rina though... it degenerates the thing basically into a blog of moisture and convection even though the thing is probably headed to cat 3 or cat 4 status down there.

because the ocean contact with the atmosphere adds heat, destablizing the column, such that said heat rises and "turns-over" the atmosphere where downward motion compensating for said upward motion mixes down any low level jet velocities. it's a good way to get a lot of damage to Situate and Hull, the Cape and Islands this time of year.

Cool. Thanks.

You mean a perfectly phased bomb at 132 hours out won't happen?

I don't see a lot of phasing here at 132 hours from what I am looking at...

This is an open wave with an intense vorticity plug riding over the top of strong lower level thermal/thicknes packing, and BOOM. That feeds back height falls off cyclogen physics, and then the whole structure psuedo-closes off because of that; but doens't really close off of course because it keeps trucking right along in the environmental flow.

Of course... I'm thinking of phasing in the sense of stream frequencies postively super-imposing. Maybe by phasing in the current context we mean something else?

Edit: Oh wait. never mind... I didn't at first see that pesky bugger in the SW - lol

thought this was a joke but just looked at Rina and wow wasnt expecting that!!! I think that may have alot to do with how this storm plays out

Yeah the Euro is doing a terrible job with Rina though... it degenerates the thing basically into a blog of moisture and convection even though the thing is probably headed to cat 3 or cat 4 status down there.

Its to good so its totally wrong, Jackpot this far out is never good........lol

Actually, 132 hours out isn't too ridiculous... It's when the D9 or D10 shows a perfect scenario that you can win millions gambling against it.

132 ... that's D5.5.. .Yeah, not ideal for the ECM... It's a cusp bomb for this particular model. If this were D4.5 we could feel a whole lot better about it..

Archived