Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Go Time - First Winter Storm Threat for New England 2011/12

Baroclinic Zone

It's on the Wunderground site.

John, don't tell me you don't know about this site!

http://www.wundergro...i=0&ls=0&rad2=0

Ha ha... :lol: ...yeah, I know about Wunderground but wasn't aware, specifically - thx!

Well, in the very least it appears the cold pattern originally discussed by Will and myself a couple weeks ago (or whenever the thread about the 20th-Nov 1 was put out) appears to be arriving as planned.

There seems to be some kind of odd -NAO "hybrid" thing going on. The 10D temp anomalies out of CMC have taken on the typical -NAO dipolar distribution, but one more consistent with a latitudinally suppressed negative NAO, and one that is heavily westerly based at that... Yet the geopotential medium of the operational GFS/ECM over the next week to 10 days ... while they carry some vesiges of blocking near 55 N, there is nothing very demonstrative either - nothing that would argue for this kind of cold displacement S. Yet here we are.

Originally when I discussed a cold end of the month and into the first week of November I had inferred much of that from some converging teleconnectors, from disparate sources - one being the PNA and the other the NAO. These signals were weak to perhaps moderate at best at the time, but they were occurring in tandem. Since then, although the daily computations from the respective agencies have been deconstructing that appeal, the these current operational guidance trends clearly argue for success, anyway. Fascinating.

There may be some transition season "tainting" of signals here, where hypothetically the coherent ones become blurred a bit by "red herring" permutations associated with background enhanced stochastics at this time of year. Meanwhile, if I were to guess just stepping back, the flow over all of N/A and adjacent oceanic regions actually has a bit more of a -AO look to it. 534dm heights setting up over all of Canada and clear down to the border with the U.S., and the best geopotential gradient aligning along 37N (or thereabouts..) are indicators for a suppressed hemipheric westerlies - particularly when they extend longitudinally like this. These "blocky" speghetti currents over southern and SE Canada (50-60N), with wave after wave in the ECM spatially ...pretty much perfect (it would snow in May with this folks!) all leaving those nebular packets in the mid levels up there are really more like "default" blocks, simply because coherency in the flow is farther S.

Upon checking the AO, it has been falling since about October 10 ...modeled to be -1SD in about a week. That is a total downward shift of 3SD! That is significant, and although the end ing point is not hugely negative at -1, the differential of 3 is pretty hugely telling. This kind of analysis is what I really meant all along by "subtleties about the teleconnectors" - one cannot really take them at face value because the warm or the cold could be hidden in the interpretation. Throw in fall or spring and yeah... migraines or snow grains, take your pick.

Barring an anomaly verifying the way the hopes and dreams of the forum's consensus desire actually taking place ... we should keep in mind that there is a reason for climatologically derived snow odds being on the low side prior to Hallow's Eve. That doens't mean one of these patterns won't come along ever 30 or whatever years, either.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol I posted the same thing basically.

I think the Euro is a bit disappointing.

yeah. it's a tough call. if your in a borderline area it's not really what you want to see i think. but if you're in a spot that's got some meaningful elevation and latitude, it could be a bit better as some of that mid-level warmth that was present on the NAM, for instance, might not be a problem. might just be more of a rain flipping to nice S/S+ type of deal with just big giant aggregates blanketing everything.

Look at the vortmax track at 84h compared to the NAM...NAM went sort of insane with it...its probably wrong. I'd lean a little more tepid like the Euro/GFS.

If its stronger its sharper and will pooch the folks south and if its weaker its flatter and will pooch the folks north

Look at the vortmax track at 84h compared to the NAM...NAM went sort of insane with it...its probably wrong. I'd lean a little more tepid like the Euro/GFS.

You can see the NAM has a very strong PV anomaly that's sharp, stronger, and leads to much stronger cyclogesis to the lee of the Apps.

The GFS is much weaker with the PV anomaly and the surface reflection is obviously weaker. For places like Mt. Tolland it will be key to get a stronger low south of LI to provide a stronger ageostrophic flow in the boundary layer.

Ha ha... :lol: ...yeah, I know about Wunderground but wasn't aware, specifically - thx!

Well, in the very least it appears the cold pattern originally discussed by Will and myself a couple weeks ago (or whenever the thread about the 20th-Nov 1 was put out) appears to be arriving as planned.

There seems to be some kind of odd -NAO "hybrid" thing going on. The 10D temp anomalies out of CMC have taken on a typically -NAP dipolar distribution, but one more consistent with a latitudinally suppressed negative NAO, and one that is heavily westerly based at that... Yet the geopotential medium of the operational GFS/ECM over the next week to 10 days ... while they carry some vesiges of blocking near 55 N, there is nothing very demonstrative either - nothing that would argue for this kind of cold displacement S. Yet here we are.

Originally when I discussed a cold end of the month and into the first week of November I had inferred much of that from some converging teleconnectors, from disparate sources - one being the PNA and the other the NAO. These signals were weak to perhaps moderate at best at the time, but they were occurring in tandem. Since then, although the daily computations from the respective agencies have been deconstructing that appeal, the these current operational guidance trends clearly argue for success, anyway. Fascinating.

There may be some transition season "tainting" of signals here, where hypothetically the coherent ones become blurred a bit by "red herring" permutations associated with background enhanced stochastics at this time of year. Meanwhile, if I were to guess just stepping back, the flow over all of N/A and adjacent oceanic regions actually has a bit more of a -AO look to it. 534dm heights setting up over all of Canada and clear down to the border with the U.S., and the best geopotential gradient aligning along 37N (or thereabouts..) are indicators for a suppressed hemipheric westerlies - particularly when they extend longitudinally like this. These "blocky" speghetti currents over southern and SE Canada (50-60N), with wave after wave in the ECM spatially ...pretty much perfect (it would snow in May with this folks!) all leaving those nebular packets in the mid levels up there are really more like "default" blocks, simply because coherency in the flow is farther S.

Upon checking the AO, it has been falling since about October 10 ...modeled to be -1SD in about a week. That is a total downward shift of 3SD! That is significant, and although the end ing point is not hugely negative at -1, the differential of 3 is pretty hugely telling. This kind of analysis is what I really meant all along by "subtleties about the teleconnectors" - one cannot really take them at face value because the warm or the cold could be hidden in the interpretation. Throw in fall or spring and yeah... migraines or snow grains, take your pick.

Barring an anomaly verifying the way the hopes and dreams of the forum's consensus desire actually taking place ... we should keep in mind that there is a reason for climatologically derived snow odds being on the low side prior to Hallow's Eve. That doens't mean one of these patterns won't come along ever 30 or whatever years, either.

deaths everywhere.

If its stronger its sharper and will pooch the folks south and if its weaker its flatter and will pooch the folks north

There's an ideal medium in there. But this is October and that's why 6" snow events are so rare. This will likely max out as an advisory event for someone...with perhaps one of the highest mountain tops getting warning snow.

yeah. it's a tough call. if your in a borderline area it's not really what you want to see i think. but if you're in a spot that's got some meaningful elevation and latitude, it could be a bit better as some of that mid-level warmth that was present on the NAM, for instance, might not be a problem. might just be more of a rain flipping to nice S/S+ type of deal with just big giant aggregates blanketing everything.

Yeah for Mt Socks, Nrn ORH County, MRG I don't think it matters a whole lot.

For Will and Kevin I think you need a more dynamic/stronger system like the NAM to get accumulation. Besides just chilling the boundary layer you are going to need some decent rates as well.

I thought the euro track wasn't bad for Will on north. It had good vvs along the Pike and cold 850 temps.

The next storm looks like a bomb. Maybe too close as can be the case with these types of systems.

yeah agree. i think it holds with the general areas being discussed. i just liked seeing the more wound up solutions as i think it raised the chances for flakes flying in more areas.

For Will and Kevin I think you need a more dynamic/stronger system like the NAM to get accumulation. Besides just chilling the boundary layer you are going to need some decent rates as well.

I think I'm a lot better off 3-4 miles north of KORH than Kevin in this setup

There's an ideal medium in there. But this is October and that's why 6" snow events are so rare. This will likely max out as an advisory event for someone...with perhaps one of the highest mountain tops getting warning snow.

Yeah, Its a crap shoot here early on with marginal cold air aloft

Will might have the latitude though...just far enough north maybe? i don't know exactly where he is located but at least his clients in N ORH county if not down to his area seem like a region to watch.

Will might have the latitude though...just far enough north maybe? i don't know exactly where he is located but at least his clients in N ORH county if not down to his area seem like a region to watch.

Yeah I agree.

I think in general areas with some latitude in N MA and adjacent S VT/S NH can make out decently with a weaker low like the GFS/Euro.

If you want to start bringing snow down in elevation and to places like Kevin you need something a bit more dynamic more like the NAM.

Archived