Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October Obs.

jrips27

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just dipped to 28° at 7:35AM

We hit 28 as well and were below freezing from 3:35 to 8:35 am which is pretty decent seeing the coolest we hit before this was 36, so last night was our first frost/freeze all in one pop also the record low for the 30th is 30 so it also set a new record low for Greenville.

We hit 28 as well and were below freezing from 3:35 to 8:35 am which is pretty decent seeing the coolest we hit before this was 36, so last night was our first frost/freeze all in one pop also the record low for the 30th is 30 so it also set a new record low for Greenville.

29.8 was my low this morning. Below freezing for 5 hours. Got my new wether station up just in time to catch the first freeze of the season. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

31.5 imby!!!

heavy frost

Did not get a chance to post yesterday about the snow I saw in Boone.

As we were driving into Boone down 321, the rain mixed and changed to snow as soon as we got out of the truck at 7:55am.

Steady mod snow for 20-40 mins (no accu) and strong winds!!

If was an awesome site :)

Snowed off and on until around noon. A great day to be outside in Boone !!

Got down to 30 this morning, so the first frost on the ground and truck. Its been a great October, plenty of great weather, some record highs, near record cold, and very active and damming events and an historic east coast storm. Plus the leaves are the nicest I've ever seen around here. So far, everything is going as planned.

If we had a dollar last year for every time the GFS said that there would be record breaking epic cold we would have about $600. Good to see the GFS is still the GFS during winter.

+1....Yep, some things will never change..........However, last winter one of those GFS specials was pretty darn close to verifying from 300 hours, but it never comes close on the temps from that far out.

+1....Yep, some things will never change..........However, last winter one of those GFS specials was pretty darn close to verifying from 300 hours, but it never comes close on the temps from that far out.

Euro showed some impressive cold shots last year in it's 168-240 range that also never verified.

Remember this image:

12zeuro850mbTSLPUS192.gif

12zeuro850mbTSLPUS216.gif

Was looking ahead at the GFS and wow THAT's some cold air.....at 384 hours haha This should be taken with a grain of salt.

It's at h384 - ignore it. Now, the current NE storm that just left showed up around hour 288, but didn't go away that much. I'd wait until something like this gets to within h180 consistently - with other model support, before latching onto it.

What the GFS is seeing is just the chance of colder air down the road, but the devil's in the details. We'll get another cold front in November, but it probably won't be that.

The NAO appears to be sliding into weak negative territory. While I give the GFS zero cred at 384 verbatim, sometimes days 14-15 will signal what the pattern "could" hold if a gazillion things happen in sequence. I look more at day 14 for hints at changes in the pattern. If enough runs of the GFS show the pattern, some credence should be given. That will eliminate some of the chaos that models simply don't handle well at all. For the mets out there, is there actually some value in the day 16 forecast or is it just too far out there to be given any credence? I'm assuming some value must be found at 384 or it wouldn't be part of the process. Also, are the models getting better at handling day 10 and beyond (w/ better computers w/ larger memories) or is the chaos of the system too much to handle?

The NAO appears to be sliding into weak negative territory. While I give the GFS zero cred at 384 verbatim, sometimes days 14-15 will signal what the pattern "could" hold if a gazillion things happen in sequence. I look more at day 14 for hints at changes in the pattern. If enough runs of the GFS show the pattern, some credence should be given. That will eliminate some of the chaos that models simply don't handle well at all. For the mets out there, is there actually some value in the day 16 forecast or is it just too far out there to be given any credence? I'm assuming some value must be found at 384 or it wouldn't be part of the process. Also, are the models getting better at handling day 10 and beyond (w/ better computers w/ larger memories) or is the chaos of the system too much to handle?

I know I have heard a few mets talk about how the ENS models are much better than the operational model for long term outlooks especially the spaghetti plots. I agree that the long term 250+ model runs can give us an idea of what might happen but it just seems to very rarely verify.

I don't think you can totally just rule out anything the GFS says verbatim at the longer ranges, just because its the "gfs at long range". The operational model has been on a roll this year since right after the Christmas storm and its been almost unbeatable and caught many long range events and pattern changes well ahead of the other models. But I have no idea if it will remain that way. Usually in the colder months certainly ECMWF is the better model, but not always and both can be similar at a day 5 to 7 event and both be pretty badly wrong, and that goes for ensembles too. Just the way it is in weather. When I look at models and ensembles, I look at the big picture and work inward, and see if it makes sense. Never make specifics for any one location that far out, too much can change.

That said, the pattern we're in is going to be continued extremely active, for many folks on the forum...the only way it could get any more active would probably be to be in a strong El Nino. First another possible weak closed low (ECMWF ) this weekend in the East or Apps, then a blizzard possibly comes out of the Rockies and into the Upper Midwest by next week, and there is another stream in Canada with a few things crossing the country there to lay down snow, so the snow cover should begin expanding across Canada at a very rapid pace pretty soon (and on a pretty large scale). The GFS builds a huge height anomaly around Scandinavia, and works it north and west, and it uses that to force a Polar Vortex pretty far south to develop in Canada toward the end of the run. Then sudden amplification in the Pacific, which by then will send a pretty big outbreak of cold air south into the US. I don't usually trust models at that time range though unless there's plenty of other support, and the spaghetti plots are all over the place at that time, from huge Greenland block similar to last Winter, to just zonal flow. With the way things have been working out, I'd say we go to extremes one way for a little while yet. The seasons are in adjustment phase quickly now and some areas could skip the heart of Fall and head into an early Winter pattern pretty soon.

Euro showed some impressive cold shots last year in it's 168-240 range that also never verified.

Remember this image:

12zeuro850mbTSLPUS192.gif

12zeuro850mbTSLPUS216.gif

Well, that one actually came close, it just dropped down further west. Remember the record cold deep into Texas then? The Dallas area had low teens for a high!

Another hard freeze here in the east temps got down to 28 and we were below freezing for 9 hrs that should be the end of the mosquitos but with temps warming back up the end of this week ya never know the little buggers are resilant. The last two nights MHX forecast our low to be 34 and both nights we hit 28......hopefully it doesnt rain tonight so the kiddies can get to go trick or treating but it looks like the timimg of this wave is pretty crappy for that.

Archived