joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Poll, which storm hit you harder personally

Ginx snewx

SNE TS effects on members  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which storm hit you personally harder

Bob...chased bob east from old saybrook to mystic aquarium stopped cold in westerly when what seemed to be part of a pavillion smashed into my right rear tire and wedged itself so I could not move my car into the wind the car was violently shaking right to left with shingles from a house across the street pelting my poor 1989 chevy caviliar.and that was the weak side of bob.I did squeek out one 82 mph gust before major anomometer problems.

Judged solely according to where I lived at storm time:

Gloria (Ft.Kent): just another fall storm, that far north. Would be #2 behind Bob if I'd already moved to Gardiner - similar (or even stronger) winds but much less rain.

Bob (Gardiner): 6.4" rain (still tops for any single-event 24 hr I've measured), winds G60 with some significant blowdown, both front- and backside.

Irene (New Sharon): 4.4" rain, G40.

Other notable TS since I moved to Maine:

Belle (Ft Kent): 6 rain, mostly in 4 hr, little wind. #2 behind Bob.

Floyd (New Sharon): 5" rain, G40. Tied with Irene for #4.

I think it was Bob. I was at the old NWS office at PWM Jetport along the coast at the time. Never seen it rain so hard before moving to CHS. Bob produced PWM's second highest 24 hour total on 8/19/91 of 7.75 inches (it was a record at the time). This was surpassed by the storm of 10/21/96 with 11.74 inches of rain. This one had direct moisture feed from Hurricane Lili. There's a very good paper on GYX's website on this event:

http://www.erh.noaa....f/ta2000-02.pdf

I was at PVD for Gloria, and my biggest memory from that one was that my car was covered in sea salt due to the strong S winds off Narragansett Bay with very lilttle rainfall (only 0.10" as I recall). Oh, large trees did fall, along with no power for a few days. Got our power back, then went out again during the next rain event about a week later, likely due to sea salt getting into the circuitry shorting out the electricity.

Irene was a big hyped up event around these parts, IMHO. Some decent wind. The hubby had better winds down in Fall River, but not a whole lot of damage, at least from what I saw. I was working 12 hour mid shifts for that one, though, so I probably missed some of the bigger stuff.

Just my 2 cents worth.

--Turtle

lol

I never drank or smoked in HS. Honestly I could probably count the number of times I smoked on my 2 hands. I also never drank while I was in HS. This must have been an uneventful storm for me wherever I was, otherwise I would have remember it.

Seriously, you were not a weenie in HS?, were you in SEmass? As old as I am I can remember specific storms even in grade school.

Archived