northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Models Advertising Late Month Storm And Cold Front

bluewave

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perfect night to demonstrate the absurdity of LGA's temps on a clear calm night. I'm less than 4 miles east of the airport but almost 9 degrees colder. I'm currently 54.6 while LGA is reporting 63 degrees.

Great radiational cooling conditions tonight... dry air through much of the tropopause, weak NW winds, and it being a few days after a cold frontal passage.

OKX.gif

Here's a great paper entitled "Mesoscale Aspects of the Urban Heat Island around New York City" that I think many here would find very interesting and informative - http://climate.rutgers.edu/stateclim_v1/robinson_pubs/refereed/Gedzelman_et_al_2003.pdf

Check it out:

njwxnet-nyc-temperature.png

Great radiational cooling conditions tonight... dry air through much of the tropopause, weak NW winds, and it being a few days after a cold frontal passage.

Here's a great paper entitled "Mesoscale Aspects of the Urban Heat Island around New York City" that I think many here would find very interesting and informative - http://climate.rutge..._et_al_2003.pdf

Check it out:

Yeah, I actually used that paper for one of my projects in college. I always found it very interesting (UHI).

I've noticed an increase in color on many trees here in Villanova over the past couple days. Hopefully this dry spell will aid foliage, but with the possibility of hvy rain next week, it may not do much.

I'm really disappointed in the color around here so far. There are so many trees browning as opposed to showing color. All that damned rain is wiping away my favorite aspect of autumn. Who would have thought after that dry spell in early summer

Btw thanks for the link locoako!

DGEX points to a lot of rain for the area.:thumbsdown:

f138.gif

Models seem to be converging on a quicker hitting but heavier rainfall wed - thu next week. Not what we needed. Luckily it looks warm and dry after. Was hoping this could miss us, still time. At least it doesnt appear to be a long-lived days of clouds setup.

Indeed. However even with low dews I'm not looking forward to mid 80s tomorrow. That's just too much.

probly the last time we will see mid 80's until april.. This is the last hoorah of summer before our average highs and lows start dropping dramatically. Winter :thumbsup:

probly the last time we will see mid 80's until april.. This is the last hoorah of summer before our average highs and lows start dropping dramatically. Winter :thumbsup:

Let's hope the forecast follows our averages because I hate warm falls. I don't care what the weather now means for winter if anything; as a season standing on it's own, a warm fall sucks.

I think someone said that almost a month ago, I bet we'll reach 80 or higher at least two more times after October 15th.

Highly unlikely. Average highs drop toward 60 and the upper 50s by the end of the month. You'd need huge departures to pull off temps north of 80.

Most warm pushes in October occur during the first half of the month.

Let's hope the forecast follows our averages because I hate warm falls. I don't care what the weather now means for winter if anything; as a season standing on it's own, a warm fall sucks.

I agree.The worst autumn I remember was in 1979.It snowed on the morning of Oct 10th and just over a week later it was 88 degrees.It stayed warm the rest of the Autumn with THanksgiving week being in the 70s with dewpoints in the mid and upper 60s.1979 was the warmest autumn in my lifetime.

Record highs for today:

Climate... record highs for Sunday 10/9..Sunday..Newark..87/1990...Bridgeport..80/1959..Central Park...86/1916.....LaGuardia..84/1959...Kennedy.82/1961..Islip..78/1990

Newark's record is a lock to be broken. The others don't look safe at all either.

It was so nice and cool this morning. This heat is as out of place as 60s and rain in July.

Archived