• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
9.21-9.23(+?) rain event

Ian

I think this next event is probably worthy of its own thread.

multiple models have multiple inches fo rain over the coming period, and hpc/lwx

post-1615-0-64771300-1316538278.gif

Long term /Thursday through Monday/...

unsettled weather pattern will persist into the long-term period as

the upper low becomes cutoff from the westerlies over the

Midwest/Great Lakes regions through early next week. A cold front will

slowly approach Thursday before moving through on Friday. Persistent southerly flow

ahead of the low and associated cold front will maintain tropical

moisture feed up the eastern Seaboard. Have increased probability of precipitation to likely

through Friday night. While guidance is in reasonable agreement regarding

the expected synoptic pattern late this week...there are

considerable differences each day on the mesoscale level. These

differences will determine the coverage and amount of rainfall. With

the middle-Atlantic region being situated in the right-entrance region

of a strengthening upper-jet streak and precipitable waters between 1.5-2

inches...there is increasing concern for the potential of heavy

rainfall across portions of the County Warning Area Thursday and Friday as the cold front

moves through. However...uncertainty of threat will remain high until

the mesoscale players can be determined.

The cold front is expected to stall somewhere along the eastern Seaboard

this weekend. The exact placement of the boundary will determine if

the axis of heavy precipitation along the front will impact eastern portions of

the County Warning Area or remain east of the area. Nonetheless...have increased

probability of precipitation this weekend into early next week with models coming into better

agreement of the cutoff low remaining over the Midwest. Southerly flow

ahead of the low will continue to supply moisture from the Atlantic

and Gulf.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was considering making a thread like this... could we add the severe potential to the thread? I can make a separate thread if need be, but it seems redundant. EDIT: Thanks :)

The potential for widespread 1-3"+ totals is definitely there as the upper-level disturbance sits over the Midwest and Tennessee Valley regions from the 22nd-26th before pushing east on the 27th (though the models could be too quick with kicking it out).

Of course, not good news for the rain-soaked areas of the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast... rainfall totals since June 1st:

post-96-0-18985600-1316539113.png

As for severe... I won't hold my breath, but with the upper-low nearby we could see a few days of severe in the region... especially as the vort. max starts to move eastward after stalling out. Dynamics will be rather impressive as it kicks out, so instability will be less of a concern. Biggest doubts right now are coming from the clouds and rain that are progged to keep the region more stable, with weaker lapse rates through most of the event.

The problem is that it is no over by the end of that graphic especially for New England. The closing off of an upper low to our southwest and development of a slow moving surface low coupled with a stationary front across New England means there probably will be lots of rain with more flooding especially to our north. That doesn't rule us out but from PA into New England I'd be really concerned.

What is the wettest sept on record for the airports?

If this rain threat verifies, I would have to assume that areas near the Chesapeake will set all time monthly rainfall records.

Sept 1934 (17.45) at DC http://www.americanw...e-aug-sep-2011/

We've got a way to go for that.. tho I did see similarities to the pattern on a brief look (maybe ~10 days later in 1934). Might have to take a closer look.

Not sure on other airports off the top of my head.

We've got a way to go for that.. tho I did see similarities to the pattern on a brief look (maybe ~10 days later in 1934). Might have to take a closer look.

BWI: 1934 (12.41")

IAD: 1975 (11.26")

That 1975-76 analog is popping up too often in a lot of comparisons. That was the year a 9" snowfall in March brought Martinsburg's season total to 9.4":yikes:

That 1975-76 analog is popping up too often in a lot of comparisons. That was the year a 9" snowfall in March brought Martinsburg's season total to 9.4":yikes:

Yea, the 74-75 year came up in all my simpleton research. Second year Nina's have not been kind to the MA so the odds of a less than exciting winter are definitely higher than a good winter around these parts.

HM's thread on the main board is excellent though. Kinda gives us hope that we might get in on enough action to at least be a decent winter.

Wow. 17.45 is a huge month. Almost 50% of annual climo precip in a single month is going to be really hard to beat.

I've had hits on the 1930s quite a bit throughout the year. I guess it makes more sense to base off ENSO phase but finding 2nd yr ninas gives you a really small sample to work off of. I don't get long range enough I suppose.

LR is tough beause of the variables. I think the criticism a lot of people give out about LR forecasts isn't fair. IMO- LR forecasting is more a presentation of statistical odds than it is a hard and fast forecast. People are so quick to say "BUST BUST BUST" but most forecasts explain exactly why the "odds" of x and y happening is favored and not saying x and y is going to happen.

I agree about 2nd year Nina. Small sample and ENSO doesn't tell the whole story. If it did then last year would be beyond explanation.

What analog years in the 30's do you like?

LR is tough beause of the variables. I think the criticism a lot of people give out about LR forecasts isn't fair. IMO- LR forecasting is more a presentation of statistical odds than it is a hard and fast forecast. People are so quick to say "BUST BUST BUST" but most forecasts explain exactly why the "odds" of x and y happening is favored and not saying x and y is going to happen.

I agree about 2nd year Nina. Small sample and ENSO doesn't tell the whole story. If it did then last year would be beyond explanation.

What analog years in the 30's do you like?

None in particular I guess--I've just seen it show up throughout the summer etc in various fashions. Perhaps the major drought out west is part of it. I keep thinking about honing in on a methodology for some sort of seasonal framework but I never have the time to do so. I am much more a fan of the short range as a whole. Though after parsing through lots of climo stuff the last yr or so I've begun to get a bit more interested.

None in particular I guess--I've just seen it show up throughout the summer etc in various fashions. Perhaps the major drought out west is part of it. I keep thinking about honing in on a methodology for some sort of seasonal framework but I never have the time to do so. I am much more a fan of the short range as a whole. Though after parsing through lots of climo stuff the last yr or so I've begun to get a bit more interested.

It is interesting seeing similarities with analog years and not concentrating on ENSO as a baseline. I'll poke around with the 30's and look at some of the indexes like NAO and EPO. I have a hard time with pre 1950 stuff because I don't know how accurate the indexes are.

this morning disco. still calling for friday to be the rainer,

.SHORT TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...

UPPER LOW DROPS SOUTH FROM CANADA INTO THE UPPER MIDWEST ON THURSDAY

INTO FRIDAY. CWA WILL BE CAUGHT IN A MOIST SOUTHWEST FLOW

ALOFT...WITH SOUTHERLY FLOW AT THE SURFACE. MODELS ALSO FORECAST A

FRONTAL BOUNDARY PUSHING EAST INTO THE MID ATLANTIC BY FRIDAY

/PERHAPS WITH AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE ALONG THE BOUNDARY OVER THE

CHESAPEAKE BAY REGION/. PLUME OF HIGH PRECIPITABLE WATER AIR IS

FORECAST TO TRANSPORT NORTH INTO THE MID ATLANTIC...WITH VALUES AOA

1.50 INCHES EAST OF THE BLUE RIDGE BY FRIDAY /PERHAPS CLOSER TO 2

INCHES NEAR THE BAY/. MULTIPLE SHORTWAVES/VORTS ARE EXPECTED TO

AFFECT THE AREA DURING THIS TIME. THEREFORE...HAVE CHANCE AND LIKELY

POPS FOR SHOWERS IN THE FORECAST DURING THIS TIME.

RAINFALL...ESPECIALLY FRIDAY...HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE LOCALLY

HEAVY. WITH LOTS OF CLOUDS...INSTABILITY MAY BE HELD DOWN SOME. BUT

WITH HIGH MOISTURE AND PERHAPS OCCASIONAL BREAKS IN THE CLOUDS...

THERE MAY ALSO BE A CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE

EASTERN PORTION OF THE CWA

it has a warm core system coming up the coast, but too far east for most of us... there's a lot of spread in the sref members, though

From the very limited model output I've seen in the last couple days, it does seem that there's some wobbling between a broader moderate rain event for the entire Mid-Atlantic and a heavy rain event for the immediate coastline with a sharp precip gradient and then just light rain for those of us west of the Chesapeake.

From the very limited model output I've seen in the last couple days, it does seem that there's some wobbling between a broader moderate rain event for the entire Mid-Atlantic and a heavy rain event for the immediate coastline with a sharp precip gradient and then just light rain for those of us west of the Chesapeake.

a trend we don't want to hold or get established for the winter :deadhorse:

Archived