amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Ticking Down the Days

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just confirmed it. A big cherry tree (70'???) about 200' from the Pit got struck. The pieces that got blown out look to be as far as 25' from the tree itself. I'll take a picture once it gets a little brighter.

So, the DP2 may have been fried, as it was sited beyond the caanopy of this tree. I'm not even sure how that things is powered. I know it's got a solar panel on it. Maybe the strike just killed the batteries and when the sun comes up it will start transmitting again. Or, it's possible the whole sensor blew out. I suspect it's the latter.

BOX only showing one low in the 30's for me...38, so maybe no frost here

It's giving me 4 in the 30's. I'm sticking to my guns and guessing it will be one. I guess I'll run down to home depot to get a temporary thermometer.

I wonder if home insurance covers my weather station. Ah---forgot about the deductible. Insurance cancel.

Just confirmed it. A big cherry tree (70'???) about 200' from the Pit got struck. The pieces that got blown out look to be as far as 25' from the tree itself. I'll take a picture once it gets a little brighter.

So, the DP2 may have been fried, as it was sited beyond the caanopy of this tree. I'm not even sure how that things is powered. I know it's got a solar panel on it. Maybe the strike just killed the batteries and when the sun comes up it will start transmitting again. Or, it's possible the whole sensor blew out. I suspect it's the latter.

Nice !!! Lightning strikes are the best

It's giving me 4 in the 30's. I'm sticking to my guns and guessing it will be one. I guess I'll run down to home depot to get a temporary thermometer.

I wonder if home insurance covers my weather station. Ah---forgot about the deductible. Insurance cancel.

Try this, unplug your receiving station, take the batterys out too, wait 1 minute, replug your davis in, then put the batterrys in, hit and hold done after the welcome screen comes on.

Anyways, ever since lightning hit the pole in front of my house...it changed the way I feel about it. I'll never forget that sound, back in June.

Same here but I was taking a shower when I was around 16 or 17 and a storm was approaching. All of a sudden I got this massive shock like I had stuck my finger in an outlet....needless to say I stepped out of the shower!

We had some decent strikes near us around 0120. Several were simultaneous with the sound so I know they were close. I too was worried about my anemometer and antenna....I have to get a lightening rod or something up there. One of these times It's going to get hit!

Same here but I was taking a shower when I was around 16 or 17 and a storm was approaching. All of a sudden I got this massive shock like I had stuck my finger in an outlet....needless to say I stepped out of the shower!

We had some decent strikes near us around 0120. Several were simultaneous with the sound so I know they were close. I too was worried about my anemometer and antenna....I have to get a lightening rod or something up there. One of these times It's going to get hit!

I sort of got a little zap, but I never could tell for sure since my adrenaline was sky high. I just remember looking down and my hands were curled. I actually thought it hit my place at first. I ran out to check the place and someone on my street said they saw it hit the pole. About 10 minutes later, those little white insulators started sparking all over the place. There's been some places around me that have been hit by lightning. I'm sort of on a small plateau and not too many tall trees around so the taller triple deckers are in jeopardy I guess. It was sort of surprising because it was after the storm left and we were getting those occasional post squall line +CGs. I heard some in the distance, but when this hit..it was like a flash bomb when off.

Try this, unplug your receiving station, take the batterys out too, wait 1 minute, replug your davis in, then put the batterrys in, hit and hold done after the welcome screen comes on.

That doesn't seem to be doing the trick, Steve. It's still not receiving a signal. I'll go out later and look at the connections on ISS to see if there's anything apparent there--of course, I have no idea what I'd expect/not expect to see there.

I'm looking to see if I can buy just an ISS. So far, I'm not seeing that as a stand-alone item.

How the hell did you find a random tree 200' away that got struck? Was it out in the open?

Anyways, ever since lightning hit the pole in front of my house...it changed the way I feel about it. I'll never forget that sound, back in June.

I found it because I assumed the strike had fried the DP2 (which it apparently did). I had gone out to expecting to see if blown to smithereens. Physically, it's fine, but the nearest tree took the direct hit.., but I've been finding pieces of wood 30' from the tree itself. The largest pieces near the station are about 6' long. I'm guessing the charge went through the ground to the metal post it's mounted on and blew it it out.

I just showed it to my wife and we agreed it's a very sobering thing to see the power of that and really makes you understand why it's so important to get inside during a storm.

This is kind of interesting......

I'm getting a barometer reading and I'm getting a daily rain reading (0.00). I'm not sure if it was showing that before I unplugged it or not. The BP actually just changed, so that a live reading. That would be coming from the ISS right? There's nothing housed in the console.

Archived