• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Mid-Atlantic September Obs

SoCoWx

OT - but what do you folks think of the DC full scale exercise going on today. They decided to simulate a cat 2 hurricane direct hit on DC. Doesn't seem very realistic to me. They should have simulated something that is actually within the realm of potential - like Agnes flooding or terrorist attack or tornado outbreak. A cat 2 is possible but the angle of approach and pattern really has to be incredibly favorable.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OT - but what do you folks think of the DC full scale exercise going on today. They decided to simulate a cat 2 hurricane direct hit on DC. Doesn't seem very realistic to me. They should have simulated something that is actually within the realm of potential - like Agnes flooding or terrorist attack or tornado outbreak. A cat 2 is possible but the angle of approach and pattern really has to be incredibly favorable.

I don't know but what did JB say for winter?

I think the full scale exercise should be geared towards an event with little lead time. Tornado or terrorist attack would be best. A Cat 2 would have days of lead time so the impacts can be greatly mitigated through pre-event preparation.

I'll never forget 9-11. Plane hit the Pentagon as I was driving across the 14th St bridge. Didn't hear or see anything other than a huge plume of black smoke in my rearview. I was working @ the fairchild building a couple blocks south of the Capital. I walked into the building and security turned me around. People were just starting to spill into the streets. I jumped in my car and got across th case bridge and up 295 before gridlock happened. I was soo lucky to beat the rush because what happened to downtown dc was terrible. If we are going to spend a lot of time and money practicing anything it should be an event with little to no lead time. Just mho though.

Back on topic:

I could clearly see the easterly low level flow and southwesterly mid level flow with the clouds a few minutes ago. Any convection that does fire could have some interesting winds.

Models have really been under-forecasting the CAPE in the area in recent weeks... actual CAPE (1500-2000 in MD) is 500+ J/kg higher than what the models have been showing around this time. MLCAPE and the ML lapse rates are on the poorer side at the moment... going to see some improvement, but probably not to a very good level of instability in that regard.

Considering going up to the Frederick/I-70 area later if it looks like storms are going to pop.

Seems like a huge waste of money.

Useless, DC should prepare for a tornado emergency rather than a hurricane, needs sirens due to high tourist activity. Topographical influence results in the DC/MD area actually seeing a higher concentration of tornadoes than one might think, and capable of producing what we had tear through La Plata awhile back, an EF5 I believe? Forget MD's ranking but it was in the top-10 as far as tornado-concentration goes, and one of those fast moving things could cause a heavy fatality # without adequate warning, which unfortunately sometimes needs to be clear and made aware to anyone in danger.

Archived