• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Earthquake

Hugo

If a 5.8 can do that to the east coast imagine a 7-8 lol. Bet folks in central VA pooped the ole pants.....

This is where we differ significantly from areas out west. A 5.8 quake there wouldn't be felt for very far but in the east and ms valley, a medium to large quake can be felt for hundreds of miles due to the different type of geological makeup under ground. The memphis quake way back when for example caused chimneys to collapse in ga and was felt all the way to savannah iirc.

I think I felt it too..I was outside and felt what seemed like a little shaking. It was very weak and I thought it was just the quarry across the road doing something. I didn't think much of it though since it was so weak. (Although I jokingly was thinking maybe that was a minor one). If that's what it was, That's at least the second one I have ever felt. A number of years ago a 3 point something was centered a few tens of miles southeast of here and I felt that one very easily and heard it too.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did not feel it in Atlanta, GA but there are people saying it was felt in the metro.... Very odd strong quake for this region of the country. 5.9 official, FOX news reporting 6.0.

Didn't notice anything here in Dahlonega but Rosie felt it in Blairsville so maybe I just missed it or something.

I am also concerned that we might have another quake which might cause extreme chair vibration and moderate sloshing of water in glasses.

Heh, I dont know Joel, my whole house was shaking up here. I can only imagine what would have happened if it was centered up here. I might need to get my house checked lol. This was basically a Mag 6, didn't think that was possible on the east coast.

Yeah, have not felt that since living in CA back during the MC days... Felt like two distinct tremors, about 20 seconds apart. First one took note as the pictures and mirror rattled, stopped, then I stood up and felt it underneath my feet, house was rattling a good bit, and you could here a low rumble outside. First thought was blasting at the quarry in Fountain, but wife was like that was an earthquake. Hopefully this is enough to throw our system back west!

Yeah had solid 10 secs of rolling feeling enough that the fish tank water was going up the sides a few inches. Imagine a earthquake and a Cat 4 in a the same week lol.

Heh, I dont know Joel, my whole house was shaking up here. I can only imagine what would have happened if it was centered up here. I might need to get my house checked lol. This was basically a Mag 6, didn't think that was possible on the east coast.

Magnitudes way over 6 are possible on the East Coast.

The quakes that happened in Charleston in the 1800's were over 7..

Down here it wasn't that bad. Brick, who lives in Raleigh, has little to worry about. I'm sure the folks at the epicenter have a different story to tell.

The quakes that happened in Charleston in the 1800's were over 7..

The August 31st, 1886 Charleston earthquake cracked sidewalks in Chicago IL. Eastern United States earthquakes travel much farther than the West Coast earthquakes because of the bedrock, the ground in a lot of spots being relatively saturated (an alluvial mud so to speak), plus out west, the Mountain ranges absorb a tremendous amount of the shock

my first quake as well. I was alway curious what it would be like.... needless to say I don't think I want to feel one stronger. My building shook for a good 20 seconds. Computer monitors where shaking, lights fixtures on the ceiling where all swaying a bit.

Now I have experienced a tornado hitting my house, blizzard on Christmas day, hail the size of tennis balls, -15 degree temps, and a freaking EARTHQUAKE! All I need now is to chase a hurricane and see a volcano erupt and I can die a happy man

What is Chuck Norris so angry about? :huh: Hurricane Irene and now an earthquake. What's next?

Charleston had a 4.5 earthquake 3 days before Hurricane Andrew struck South Florida

(August 21st, 1992). it was the strongest Charleston quake since the 1886 Aug. 31st earthquake that was estimated (dependant on source) from 6.9 to 7.7. it was a 10 on the Modified Mercalli Scale

I am also concerned that we might have another quake which might cause extreme chair vibration and moderate sloshing of water in glasses.

lol the media is freaking out and making it out like it was a 9.0. They are grabbing anyone they can and asking them where and how much they felt it. I know such a quake is pretty rare in the east ) but the coverage is a bit ridiculous given damage is nil. CNN is even wondering if obama is going to issue a statement....good grief.

my first quake as well. I was alway curious what it would be like.... needless to say I don't think I want to feel one stronger. My building shook for a good 20 seconds. Computer monitors where shaking, lights fixtures on the ceiling where all swaying a bit.

Now I have experienced a tornado hitting my house, blizzard on Christmas day, hail the size of tennis balls, -15 degree temps, and a freaking EARTHQUAKE! All I need now is to chase a hurricane and see a volcano erupt and I can die a happy man

Why chase? So far just sitting at home and waiting seems to be working fine. snowing3.gifundertheweather.giftornado1.gif

This is where we differ significantly from areas out west. A 5.8 quake there wouldn't be felt for very far but in the east and ms valley, a medium to large quake can be felt for hundreds of miles due to the different type of geological makeup under ground. The memphis quake way back when for example caused chimneys to collapse in ga and was felt all the way to savannah iirc.

I think I felt it too..I was outside and felt what seemed like a little shaking. It was very weak and I thought it was just the quarry across the road doing something. I didn't think much of it though since it was so weak. (Although I jokingly was thinking maybe that was a minor one). If that's what it was, That's at least the second one I have ever felt. A number of years ago a 3 point something was centered a few tens of miles southeast of here and I felt that one very easily and heard it too.

I am in Kennesaw today, actually below ground level and I felt nothing.

However, the one you speak of some years back was early in the morning. It actually woke me up and I sat up in bed and thought... was that an earthquake? Then I went back to sleep... just to have the news tell me it was an earth quake.:scooter:

Only reason you felt it at all was it caught you by surprise and you didn't have time to post and send it out to sea.

Yes! :lmao:

I really ought to not look at the models and forecasts at all. If anyone mentions something about a storm or hurricane, I will put my fingers in my ears and hum until they stop. Then I will always be caught off guard and always be unable to prevent fun weather from happening near me. Problem solved.

Archived