• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Earthquake

Hugo

lol the media is freaking out and making it out like it was a 9.0. They are grabbing anyone they can and asking them where and how much they felt it. I know such a quake is pretty rare in the east ) but the coverage is a bit ridiculous given damage is nil. CNN is even wondering if obama is going to issue a statement....good grief.

It's like bad sex. "Did you feel it?" "what were you doing at the time?" "why are you crying? it wasn't that bad" and so on.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't feel it here...of course I'm on the third floor of a building and was on the toilet taking a crap...OMG I caused the earthquake.

Well I thought when they were reporting it to be from the DC area the debt ceiling had just fallen.

Magnitudes way over 6 are possible on the East Coast.

Wow, I did not know that, I did research on earthquakes in the tristate area awhile back and the "strongest" I could find for this area was 5.3-5.5 and that was well over 100 years ago.

WTF are you doing in Carrboro? I thought you were in Southern Pines? We need to have a Chapel Hill GTG since there are at least four or five of us that I'm aware of. We can go to Milltown and get drunk on Belgian beers.

I just moved. ANyway apparently I brought an Earthquake screw zone with me.

lol the media is freaking out and making it out like it was a 9.0. They are grabbing anyone they can and asking them where and how much they felt it. I know such a quake is pretty rare in the east ) but the coverage is a bit ridiculous given damage is nil. CNN is even wondering if obama is going to issue a statement....good grief.

I can hear it right now..."My fellow Americans, did you feel the ground shake? That was not my fight with the republicans at the Capital, it was an earthquake."

I am in Kennesaw today, actually below ground level and I felt nothing.

However, the one you speak of some years back was early in the morning. It actually woke me up and I sat up in bed and thought... was that an earthquake? Then I went back to sleep... just to have the news tell me it was an earth quake.:scooter:

I sit on what is essentially a huge slab of granite so I'm assuming that's why I felt it. It was not very noticeable though. I have felt much larger shaking coming from the damn quarry across the road. Btw, news is confirming it was felt in Ga as well.

As for that other one, I was actually outside at the time of that one too and I clearly felt the shaking and there was a noise that sounded like distant thunder but the weather was clear at the time and knew there was storms around and I was like WTF was that. It didn't really occur to me that it was an earthquake either and like you didn't know until the next day when it was on the news. After I found out, I thought it was so cool lol.

btw, for info's sake, they felt this quake from toronto and kitchener-waterloo to chicago, cincy, martha's vinyard, boston, and even atlanta.

That's pretty remarkable. Again I know the geology of the east/ms valley/ohio valley, etc has a makeup to feel earthquakes from a long ways away but that's a bit surprising to me.

It's like bad sex. "Did you feel it?" "what were you doing at the time?" "why are you crying? it wasn't that bad" and so on.

:lol:

Geologist just said on WRAL that earthquakes here are felt farther than on the west coast because of the way the ground is here.

as i understand it, there is a lot more bedrock, granite, and other metamorphic rock around the east as well as the sedimentary like most places, due to the fact that appalachians are the oldest mountain chain in the world. and that higher hardness makes for easier transmittal of the shock waves that come with a quake.

This probably explains why the dogs in my neighborhood were barking like crazy. All or most animals have a special sense that allows them to feel unusual rumbling from underground that unfortunately we can't feel before a quake occurs. It wasn't just the dogs but apparently my neighbor's birds wouldn't stop hollering before the quake. It's not everyday that we end up discussing about hurricanes and earthquakes on the same day...Very unusual stuff.

Archived