• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Earthquake

Hugo

i lived in dc for a long time - the buildings are brick and a lot of stone. after experiencing a couple of upper 5.0 quakes in california, i was surprised with how much shaking there was. my first thought when i heard was oh jeesh, those brownstones may have come down (fortunately not). didnt really feel anything today.

finally got a text from a friend who is in dc. he said the house shook like crazy and thought it was going to come down (no damage).

i cannot believe there was no damage from that kind of quake on the east coast!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This probably explains why the dogs in my neighborhood were barking like crazy. All or most animals have a special sense that allows them to feel unusual rumbling from underground that unfortunately we can't feel before a quake occurs. It wasn't just the dogs but apparently my neighbor's birds wouldn't stop hollering before the quake. It's not everyday that we end up discussing about hurricanes and earthquakes on the same day...Very unusual stuff.

Oddly enough, my dog sable was barking to be let on the porch too at the time. I thought she was just wanting attention or food. They certainly have a sense for this sort of thing.

About 3 minutes before the shaking started, the pup started whining, so I took her outside. She did nothing but whine so we went back inside. I sat down and the house started shaking like I lived close to the railroad tracks and a coal train was passing by :lol: ......wow

Now that you mention this, my pup did the same thing. I let him outside right before we felt it here in Toccoa.

Did not feel it in Atlanta, GA but there are people saying it was felt in the metro.... Very odd strong quake for this region of the country. 5.9 official, FOX news reporting 6.0.

I didn't feel anything. After that nice one 7 or 8 years ago I've been wanting to experience one when I'm actually awake. Nothing catastrophic just a nice 4 or 5.

My desk shook slightly in the Ground floor of Tompkins Hall at NC State. My professor, as well as the class, assumed it was the pipes in the wall. He said "sounds like we're about to take off!"

Of course I have Verizon so my phone coverage went completely out for a good 30 minutes, so I got the stream of texts and tweets instantly way after the fact.

Archived